Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I'm worried about a bent cpu pin

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
March 3, 2014 11:43:43 AM

I am currently through building my new PC and awaiting my processor to turn up, however I noticed one of the pins are ever so slightly bent to the right - I have heard that if I attempt to install the processor it can fry the MB and processor.
I am worried about his and currently in my first build, can anyone let me know whether I can test to see if it works before attempting to bend the pin back?
I don't want to bend the pin back unless necessary so.

More about : worried bent cpu pin

a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2014 11:48:04 AM

A picture would help. There is some flex applied during the installation. Is it too late to RMA the board?
m
0
l
March 3, 2014 11:54:04 AM

If its on the cpu than i am guessing its an AMD proccesor. Fret not! I had like 5 bent pins because i dropped my phenom II, using a mechanical pencil you can straighten out the pins. just put the little hole over the pin and bend it in any direction required, then look from two angles at the cpu to make sure everything is aligned and you're set!
m
0
l
Related resources
March 3, 2014 12:27:08 PM

tigger888 said:
If its on the cpu than i am guessing its an AMD proccesor. Fret not! I had like 5 bent pins because i dropped my phenom II, using a mechanical pencil you can straighten out the pins. just put the little hole over the pin and bend it in any direction required, then look from two angles at the cpu to make sure everything is aligned and you're set!

Its on the CPU Socket, it's intel D:
m
0
l
March 3, 2014 12:28:24 PM

skit75 said:
A picture would help. There is some flex applied during the installation. Is it too late to RMA the board?


I can only get a link for the image from twitter but here it is, its in the bottom right.
Is it safe to test whether it will work when its bent like this or could it damage it further?
https://twitter.com/Foofy_Seapple/status/44058400320127...
(Sorry for the low quality)
m
0
l
March 3, 2014 12:30:56 PM

skit75 said:
A picture would help. There is some flex applied during the installation. Is it too late to RMA the board?

And yeah, RMA isn't available any more
m
0
l
March 3, 2014 12:49:20 PM



Thanks for that - is it dangerous to attempt to see if it works before attempting that though? As I am extremely cautious about attempting to repair the pins since I have a very shaky hand.
If possible, I'd like to see if the processor works without tampering with the MB if possible?
m
0
l
a c 1225 V Motherboard
a c 913 à CPUs
March 3, 2014 12:53:04 PM

Hate to give you bad news , but from that photo , prospects aren't good for a favorable outcome.
m
0
l
March 3, 2014 12:56:16 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Hate to give you bad news , but from that photo , prospects aren't good for a favorable outcome.


Is it worth trying? Or is that risky? (installing the processor to see if it works)
Plus - is it likely to be fixed if I try bend them back?
m
0
l
a c 1225 V Motherboard
a c 913 à CPUs
March 3, 2014 12:58:02 PM

From the looks of it , highly I doubt you can repair it effectively.
m
0
l
March 3, 2014 12:59:35 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
From the looks of it , highly I doubt you can repair it effectively.


Thanks for the help, annoying though - first PC build and I have already broken something :( 
m
0
l
a c 1225 V Motherboard
a c 913 à CPUs
March 3, 2014 1:03:31 PM

My buddy did that with a 300.00 board last year , no refund , so it's not just you.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2014 4:22:39 PM

The picture almost looks worse than what you described. What a bummer.
m
0
l
March 6, 2014 12:30:42 PM

Surprisingly, My pc worked fine and the processor had no problems! Thanks for the help anyway!
m
0
l
!