Best under 200 dollar gaming GPU

Juan Blanco

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
*** Skip to the bottom if you don't want to read all this crap, and just want to help me with my question

Hey guys,

This will be the very first pc I build so I am very excited :) I intend to use this for everything I do, from simple world processing to extended sessions of gaming and light editing so please keep that in mind.

I've made a list of the parts that I'd like to use, any suggestion regarding price/performance/compatibility is greatly accepted:
- Processor: Intel Core i3-4130
- Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC MATE
- Ram: 8gb of Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600
- HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM
- PSU: Corsair CX430m

Again, I'm kind of on a tight budget, so if you have any suggestions regarding any of the components please let me know. I wouldn't mind going with an AMD processor as long as it doesn't affect performance that much...

Now, this is pretty much why I came here for help, as I said before, this will be my main PC, I'll use it for school, to watch multiple Youtube videos, Netflix, have 10+ tabs open in Chrome, casual video and photo editing and most importantly to PLAY GAMES, the latest games, BF4, COD Ghosts, Crysis, Grid, Dirt, Borderlands, Assasin's Creed and what not, so I expect some serious graphics performance from this machine. It's not necessary that it runs them on ultra at 60fps, but I'd like to play them on medium or high at 30+fps on a single 1080p monitor.
I've done some research on the Nvidia side as that is what one of my friends recommended, but again, I'll get an AMD as long as the performance is good in gaming; here are some of the cards I've found under 200 dollars which is my maximum budget:
- GTX 650ti boost
- GTX 750 ti
- GTX 660

***Anyways, if you read through all that crap, your help is really appreciated, what I really need is a GOOD SUB-200 DOLLAR GPU from either Nvidia or AMD to play recent games on medium to high settings at over 30 frames per second.

Thanks in advance!!!

Juan Blanco

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
Ok thanks a lot for the quick responses, I wouldn't mind changing some of the components, including the psu and the cpu as some of you said neither have enough power, maybe you could recommend something at a similar price range to replace them and get better gaiming performance?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
minimum requirements for a gtx 660 are 24A @12v and 450w, the CX430 is 32A @12v and 430w. Since there is no OC on that chip, and as long as the OP doesn't try to OC his RAM, the psu will work, if barely, meeting the Amp requirement and 1x 6pin connector, although if pushed, will probably shutdown. That said, the best sub $200 card meeting psu requirements will be any of the twin fan OC or SC versions of GTX 750Ti.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's a tier3 Corsair CX series psu. That means it will do as rated, if barely. It barely passed the stress tests, and is built with average quality parts and passed average quality control. The stress tests however don't take time into consideration, caps deteriorate over time, life expectancy goes down sharply with heat, and push that tier3 too hard for too long, too many times and it will fail, period.

Juan Blanco

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014

I just found that the cx600 is about 8 dollars more, so I'll be getting that one instead, the PSU will no longer be a problem