Laptop Display Issue - Hardware Malfunction? - Help Needed

Hello, I am at my wits end and need advice.

I have an Acer Aspire 7750G and one day I woke it from sleep to find all the display colors horribly altered.

Every color has completely changed, making words hard to read and normal function virtually impossible (I can still navigate effectively).

What I've tried:

I've been using it just fine with a monitor plugged in (VGA), so the graphics card is functioning properly as far as this output goes.

I've replaced the lcd screen... problem remains.

I've reseated the lcd cable both to the screen and to the mobo.

I've run windows display calibration... knew that would be a waste of time.

So I'm out of solutions at this point. I've read some things about running "lcd bist" but not for an Acer and I've also read about magnets altering the voltage outputs of the graphics card resulting in a similar issue... I can say I did accidentally set this for a brief moment atop a sub-woofer just before the problem began(I know...DUMB), but I'm just not sure anymore.

If anyone has any ideas or possible solutions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,
Tony
7 answers Last reply
More about laptop display issue hardware malfunction needed
  1. Hi, the GPU could be defective even if you have a good picture at the CRT output, that does not mean the LVDS output is also good. The CRT and LVDS are not the same outputs at the chip. The only component you didn't change is the cable.
  2. jarotech said:
    Hi, the GPU could be defective even if you have a good picture at the CRT output, that does not mean the LVDS output is also good. The CRT and LVDS are not the same outputs at the chip. The only component you didn't change is the cable.


    Thanks for the prompt reply! So basically what your saying is, replace the mobo or it stays a desktop... or I backpack a monitor with me everywhere...
  3. What I said, the GPU could be defective, even if you have a good picture on an external monitor. You replaced the screen already, and the problem remains, you didn't replace the cable for the screen, maybe this is the problem. If the cable is not the problem, then the GPU is.
  4. jarotech said:
    What I said, the GPU could be defective, even if you have a good picture on an external monitor. You replaced the screen already, and the problem remains, you didn't replace the cable for the screen, maybe this is the problem. If the cable is not the problem, then the GPU is.


    No I completely understood that. I have ordered the cable, so we will see. Again, thank you for the info!
  5. jarotech said:
    What I said, the GPU could be defective, even if you have a good picture on an external monitor. You replaced the screen already, and the problem remains, you didn't replace the cable for the screen, maybe this is the problem. If the cable is not the problem, then the GPU is.


    Replaced the cable... no change :(
  6. One thing I never asked, the new screen have the same number as the old screen?
  7. jarotech said:
    One thing I never asked, the new screen have the same number as the old screen?


    I can't tell... I ordered the screen using the number, but the one I received doesn't have any corresponding number(s) on it. It's a non-brand Chinese part...
Ask a new question

Read More

Hardware Laptops Graphics Hardware Problem Displays