Solved

FX-8350 CPU temperature and throttling?

Hi guys, so I picked up an 8350 yesterday and installed it last night. A couple of concerns though, maybe you can help. My Mobo is a 990FX R2.0 with the latest BIOS version 2104. My case is a Define R4 with all but the top two fan spots populated. I have 3 intake fans and 1 exhaust. I cool my cpu with an NH-C14 and since I'm always cold I keep my ambient temps around 23C.
Hopefully now that you know what kind of conditions my system runs in and whats cooling it you'll be able to better assist me.

Before I bought my 8350 I ran an old Phenom II 955 BE revision C3 stock for the most part at 3.2ghz. Now when I ran the 955 the core temp was never more than a degree or two off from my thermal radars cpu temp (which I know is socket temp). My core temp and socket temp would both usually sit around 40C idle and load of 55C when using Prime (in place preset). But now with my 8350 at idle, socket temp remains the same at 40C as before and core temp is 22C. Should it not say 40C as before? I have a hard time believing that my core temp is less than my ambient temperature.

Now when I run Prime (in place preset) the socket temp of my 8350 gets to 64C on thermal radar and my core temp only says 50C. I've never had my 955 past 61C nor do I intend to let my shiny new 8350 get beyond what it's rated for. Speaking of which what is my 8350 max temp? AMD doesn't say how hot these things can get or what the max voltage is? Can some one tell me what they are?

Also if the cpu thinks it's only at 50C when in fact it's at say 64C wouldn't the throttling safety net be getting bypassed as the cpu doesn't think it's as hot as it actually is? What temperature exactly do these FX cpus start to throttle themselves at anyway, is it 61C? I've looked everywhere for an answer to that last one but have come up dry.

Should I just turn down the fans untill the cpu start to throttle and then i'd know the max temp of the cpu? Or is that a bad idea?

I've used core temp, HW monitor, AMD over drive, etc yet all core temperature readings are the same.

I'm stumped any help would be appreciated.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 8350 cpu temperature throttling
  1. The CPU, or package temperature shouldn't really get above 61c, but a degree or two in prime95 or intel burn test probably wouldn't be too much of a concern, because it won't be taxed that much by pretty much anything else. The socket temp is fine up to 71 or so as well (it's the temp under the motherboard section).

    Voltage will depend on your motherboard more than your processor. If you have a very high end board, can go to 1.53 or so at the very most. However, I wouldn't go above 1.5 or high 1.4's unless you have something like the h100i or equivalent as a minimum, and you know your motherboard can take it.
  2. TriBeard said:
    The CPU, or package temperature shouldn't really get above 61c, but a degree or two in prime95 or intel burn test probably wouldn't be too much of a concern, because it won't be taxed that much by pretty much anything else. The socket temp is fine up to 71 or so as well (it's the temp under the motherboard section).

    Voltage will depend on your motherboard more than your processor. If you have a very high end board, can go to 1.53 or so at the very most. However, I wouldn't go above 1.5 or high 1.4's unless you have something like the h100i or equivalent as a minimum, and you know your motherboard can take it.


    Thanks for the response TriBeard but can you be more specific to my question or rather questions? I know it's asking a lot and I have many question but I have no clue where to start. Thank you!
  3. Hey guys, I'm still wondering whats going on with my cpu. Can anybody else enlighten me?
  4. The max temps for FX processors are 62C on the core and 70C on the socket. I'd say you're fine up to about 5C over those before you start seeing any throttling though.

    The FX series, and possibly AMD processors in general, have notoriously inaccurate temp readings when below 40C.

    Could you possibly post a screenshot of HWMonitor when your 8350 is at load?
  5. JOOK-D said:
    The max temps for FX processors are 62C on the core and 70C on the socket. I'd say you're fine up to about 5C over those before you start seeing any throttling though.

    The FX series, and possibly AMD processors in general, have notoriously inaccurate temp readings when below 40C.

    Could you possibly post a screenshot of HWMonitor when your 8350 is at load?


    Yes and no lol I took the 8350 back out and am running my 955 for the time being. My 8350 is at the store where I bought it and is going to be bench tested sometime in the next 7 business days :( I did take a screenshot of it at idle before I took it out though.
    {IMG}http://s29.postimg.org/fu2jewk0n/Screenshot.jpg{/IMG}

    Here one of my 955 idling just to give you guys all some perspective of how drastically this thing is out.
    {IMG}http://s13.postimg.org/4ulwh7vdz/Screenshot_2.jpg{/IMG}


    My 955 temp reading I wholeheartedly trust, but I cant say the same about my 8350.
  6. Guys, I'm still looking for help.
  7. Lets get a few things that are easy out of the way. As stated, the top temp for most all of AMDs CPUs is 61c. Now what that means is that is the maximum temperature at which the guarantee it will function as it should, this means the CPU could possibly handle more but might not boost or might start throttling. As far as I can remember, AMD has always had a max of 61-62c.

    As stated as well, AMD CPUs also do not always register the correct temperature. I am not sure if this is due to their sensor being faulty or if they just rely on a sensor on the motherboard. You are correct at being skeptical about it as a CPU or GPU that is air cooled will not run at ambient but more likely will run about 5-10c higher than ambient depending on the cooler. Water cooling can keep a CPU at or very near ambient while idle.

    I do think there is some confusion though I did a bit of digging and found this:

    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2364049

    It turns out the "Thermal Margin", which looks like temperature in AMD Overdrive is not the actual temperature but rather is how far away it is from hitting the thermal ceiling where the CPU will start to throttle. So it is stating you have 50.1c until your FX-8350 is going to throttle itself down to cool off.

    Honestly that is pretty stupid as people want to know the temperature as well because some people never want their CPU to hit the thermal ceiling. I have never let my CPUs go above 60c.

    So for the Core vs CPU temperature, each core has its own temperature then there is the entire CPU, which includes components that run much hotter than a core will.

    I think the CPU is fine overall. I would just make sure you are installing just enough thermal paste and not too much with that cooler and make sure you have a side panel fan pulling air in over the CPU fans. As well it should pull air from the top to the bottom. I am not a fan of those kinds of coolers though and the heat doesn't get out of the case as well as it should.

    I hope I have helped to clarify a few things.
  8. jimmysmitty said:
    Lets get a few things that are easy out of the way. As stated, the top temp for most all of AMDs CPUs is 61c. Now what that means is that is the maximum temperature at which the guarantee it will function as it should, this means the CPU could possibly handle more but might not boost or might start throttling. As far as I can remember, AMD has always had a max of 61-62c.

    As stated as well, AMD CPUs also do not always register the correct temperature. I am not sure if this is due to their sensor being faulty or if they just rely on a sensor on the motherboard. You are correct at being skeptical about it as a CPU or GPU that is air cooled will not run at ambient but more likely will run about 5-10c higher than ambient depending on the cooler. Water cooling can keep a CPU at or very near ambient while idle.

    I do think there is some confusion though I did a bit of digging and found this:

    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2364049

    It turns out the "Thermal Margin", which looks like temperature in AMD Overdrive is not the actual temperature but rather is how far away it is from hitting the thermal ceiling where the CPU will start to throttle. So it is stating you have 50.1c until your FX-8350 is going to throttle itself down to cool off.

    Honestly that is pretty stupid as people want to know the temperature as well because some people never want their CPU to hit the thermal ceiling. I have never let my CPUs go above 60c.

    So for the Core vs CPU temperature, each core has its own temperature then there is the entire CPU, which includes components that run much hotter than a core will.

    I think the CPU is fine overall. I would just make sure you are installing just enough thermal paste and not too much with that cooler and make sure you have a side panel fan pulling air in over the CPU fans. As well it should pull air from the top to the bottom. I am not a fan of those kinds of coolers though and the heat doesn't get out of the case as well as it should.

    I hope I have helped to clarify a few things.


    Thanks for the reply Jimmy. Yes you've cleared a lot up, just one last thing.

    "Also if the cpu thinks it's only at 50C when in fact it's at say 64C wouldn't the throttling safety net be getting bypassed as the cpu doesn't think it's as hot as it actually is? What temperature exactly do these FX cpus start to throttle themselves at anyway, is it 61C? I've looked everywhere for an answer to that last one but have come up dry."

    That question is the one that has really stumped me. Maybe you can help me out.
  9. Best answer
    0nRay said:
    jimmysmitty said:
    Lets get a few things that are easy out of the way. As stated, the top temp for most all of AMDs CPUs is 61c. Now what that means is that is the maximum temperature at which the guarantee it will function as it should, this means the CPU could possibly handle more but might not boost or might start throttling. As far as I can remember, AMD has always had a max of 61-62c.

    As stated as well, AMD CPUs also do not always register the correct temperature. I am not sure if this is due to their sensor being faulty or if they just rely on a sensor on the motherboard. You are correct at being skeptical about it as a CPU or GPU that is air cooled will not run at ambient but more likely will run about 5-10c higher than ambient depending on the cooler. Water cooling can keep a CPU at or very near ambient while idle.

    I do think there is some confusion though I did a bit of digging and found this:

    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2364049

    It turns out the "Thermal Margin", which looks like temperature in AMD Overdrive is not the actual temperature but rather is how far away it is from hitting the thermal ceiling where the CPU will start to throttle. So it is stating you have 50.1c until your FX-8350 is going to throttle itself down to cool off.

    Honestly that is pretty stupid as people want to know the temperature as well because some people never want their CPU to hit the thermal ceiling. I have never let my CPUs go above 60c.

    So for the Core vs CPU temperature, each core has its own temperature then there is the entire CPU, which includes components that run much hotter than a core will.

    I think the CPU is fine overall. I would just make sure you are installing just enough thermal paste and not too much with that cooler and make sure you have a side panel fan pulling air in over the CPU fans. As well it should pull air from the top to the bottom. I am not a fan of those kinds of coolers though and the heat doesn't get out of the case as well as it should.

    I hope I have helped to clarify a few things.


    Thanks for the reply Jimmy. Yes you've cleared a lot up, just one last thing.

    "Also if the cpu thinks it's only at 50C when in fact it's at say 64C wouldn't the throttling safety net be getting bypassed as the cpu doesn't think it's as hot as it actually is? What temperature exactly do these FX cpus start to throttle themselves at anyway, is it 61C? I've looked everywhere for an answer to that last one but have come up dry."

    That question is the one that has really stumped me. Maybe you can help me out.



    According to AMD, 61c is the temperature at which your CPU will reliably operate, meaning that is where they have tested it and it will operate as stated. From the AMD Overdrive screen it looks like that CPUs TJMAX is 70, although I have seen 90c listed, and the TJMAX is where a CPU will go before it starts to throttle.

    Lets look at an example:

    http://ark.intel.com/products/52210/intel-core-i5-2500k-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3_70-ghz

    The Intel Core i5 2500K has a TCase max of 72.5c, which is the maximum temperature allowed at the IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader). However the CPU core has a different which is the TJMAX which is 98c. In this case you want to focus on the TJMAX as at 98c that's when this CPU will start to throttle and/or shut down to prevent damage to the CPU.

    If the CPU is showing 50c, you are fine. the socket temp is different, the max for AM3+ is 68c from what I can find, although I have also seen 72c, but I wouldn't take Prime95 or massive stress tests into account as they will push your CPU to a 100% maximum load with is unrealistic in the majority of real world scenarios.

    Instead use this and monitor the temps:

    http://rog.asus.com/tag/stress-test/

    It is a test that uses programs to measure how it will react in a more real world scenario. You should see the CPU temperature fluctuate a lot, as I did when I used it, which is a real world scenario.

    As well, don't use the AMD Overdrive unless you like seeing the temp till it hits the TJMAX according to it. I would use Core Temp as it seems to be more reasonable and then repot the temps here after you have run that and we can see if you are getting too hot.
  10. Im at the moment running at 76C...... now bumped up to 77C.. I think I need a new cooler.. #AmdStockCoolerSucks.
  11. Well at 66 ° C on CPU socket procesor AMD fx8350 start throatling itself to minimum multipler (7) to cool itself. Only solution I can advice you, since you are running at stock core speed (4ghz) try to change core voltage for lower number. And test it with prime95. Decrase it 0.01 V make 20 min test if you pass decrase it again 0.01 V then try another test for 20 min. Find your lower number that it will work fine and allow you to pass that test and then test it for 1 H. if you pass it you are ready to go and dont bother again
Ask a new question

Read More

Temperature CPUs Core Temp