Solved

Looking to build a gaming PC for $1400

Im wanting to build a gaming PC that will be able to dominate my gaming wants and do what i need it to do. So far i have compiled a list for roughly $1400.

My Rig Idea:

Case- CM Storm Trooper w/side panel window $159

Storage- Seagate Barracuda 1Tb 7200RPM $64.99

GPU- GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 770 4Gb WindForce $439.99

Power Supply- Corsair HX650 650watt $119.99

RAM- G.Skill Ripjawsx 8Gb 2x4Gb DDR3 2133 $89.99

MoBo- MSI Z87-G45 $179.99

CPU- i74820K 3.7GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA2011 Quad-Core
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build gaming 1400
  1. the cpu is socket 2011 and mobo is 1150 so no compatibility here
    get i7 4770k
    and buy a cheap case and add that money to have gtx780
  2. nashdes001 said:
    the cpu is socket 2011 and mobo is 1150 so no compatibility here
    get i7 4770k
    and buy a cheap case and add that money to have gtx780


    No need to purchase an i7 for gaming and don't go too cheap on the case. You can do something like this:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.98 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.89 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($489.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($116.11 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($23.52 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($102.27 @ TigerDirect)
    Total: $1437.71
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-04 01:13 EST-0500)
  3. +1 to g-unit1111 also do you plan to overclock or not? That could be the difference between money saving and getting a Ti version of the nVidia card.
  4. g-unit1111 said:
    nashdes001 said:
    the cpu is socket 2011 and mobo is 1150 so no compatibility here
    get i7 4770k
    and buy a cheap case and add that money to have gtx780


    No need to purchase an i7 for gaming and don't go too cheap on the case. You can do something like this:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.98 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.89 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($489.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($116.11 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($23.52 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($102.27 @ TigerDirect)
    Total: $1437.71
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-04 01:13 EST-0500)


    Thanks for the help but just wondering if an i5 will be good enough for what i plan to do? i do lots of multitasking like playing mmo's while on skype/ surfing the web etc, i also do editing for videos on sony vegas pro 11. Thanks for the quick reply! The more I can learn the better.
  5. Just to be clear i'm wanting to run very intensive games like Arma 3 on max settings.
  6. TH3_DUNCANATOR said:
    Just to be clear i'm wanting to run very intensive games like Arma 3 on max settings.
    Modded mmorpgs require quite intensive cpu power and sometimes more than 2gb of vram
  7. PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/34rSq
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/34rSq/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/34rSq/benchmarks/

    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.98 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($157.86 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.78 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($524.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
    Power Supply: XFX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1417.52
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-05 03:56 EST-0500)
  8. nashdes001 said:
    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/34rSq
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/34rSq/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/34rSq/benchmarks/

    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.98 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($157.86 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.78 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($524.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
    Power Supply: XFX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1417.52
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-05 03:56 EST-0500)


    In your personal experience how would you rate the strength of the above build and how long do you think it will last?
  9. Best answer
    TH3_DUNCANATOR said:
    nashdes001 said:
    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/34rSq
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/34rSq/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/34rSq/benchmarks/

    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.98 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($157.86 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.78 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($524.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
    Power Supply: XFX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1417.52
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-05 03:56 EST-0500)


    In your personal experience how would you rate the strength of the above build and how long do you think it will last?


    the above built will last more than 3 yrs atleast
    And yea its the best pc for gaming and multitasking with i7
  10. The only thing I would suggest, up your budget to 1500 and buy a Samsung 840 Evo 120gb SSD drive for your OS. It will make a big difference and is worth the money
  11. Jeremy Howard said:
    The only thing I would suggest, up your budget to 1500 and buy a Samsung 840 Evo 120gb SSD drive for your OS. It will make a big difference and is worth the money


    Thanks for the tip! I was already highly considering it just for the convience of having the os on another storage device. Thanks for your help guys the only thing im going to alter from the i7 build is an evga version of the video card and an ssd.
  12. TH3_DUNCANATOR said:
    Jeremy Howard said:
    The only thing I would suggest, up your budget to 1500 and buy a Samsung 840 Evo 120gb SSD drive for your OS. It will make a big difference and is worth the money


    Thanks for the tip! I was already highly considering it just for the convience of having the os on another storage device. Thanks for your help guys the only thing im going to alter from the i7 build is an evga version of the video card and an ssd.


    glad we could help u
    please select the best answer and close the thread
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Desktops PC gaming Build Systems