Solved

VirtualBox - Windows 7 Installation Trouble

On VirtualBox, I have Windows 7, but every time I start it up, I have to re-install. Any suggestions why this might be happening? I could just save the machine's current state, but if I power it off I have to re-install.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about virtualbox windows installation trouble
  1. I am not familiar with virtual box. There are other virtual machine options. Have you tried VMWare or Windows Virtual PC?

    Outside of that suggestion you could search google for a solution or wait for someone who knows virtualbox to answer.
  2. sdogg1m said:
    I am not familiar with virtual box. There are other virtual machine options. Have you tried VMWare or Windows Virtual PC?

    Outside of that suggestion you could search google for a solution or wait for someone who knows virtualbox to answer.


    Ok...
  3. sdogg1m said:
    I am not familiar with virtual box. There are other virtual machine options. Have you tried VMWare or Windows Virtual PC?

    Outside of that suggestion you could search google for a solution or wait for someone who knows virtualbox to answer.


    Is there anybody that DOES know about and use Virtualbox that can help?
  4. Try using a fixed size for your virual hard drive.
  5. Lee-m said:
    Try using a fixed size for your virual hard drive.


    I'm trying a 15 GB fixed size virtual disk. I usually do 15 for dynamically allocated if I want to do that, by the way.

    I don't know why it said I picked your answer as the best solution, because I didn't. But if your answer turns out to be the best, well then, it doesn't matter anymore.

    Great. You know what just happened? It finished installing, it rebooted, and I'm back at the Install Now screen...

    Quote:
    I am not familiar with virtual box. There are other virtual machine options. Have you tried VMWare or Windows Virtual PC?

    Outside of that suggestion you could search google for a solution or wait for someone who knows virtualbox to answer.
    Quoted 2 times


    I did try VMware, no problem, but I just want to know why this is happening.
  6. I unselected my self as best answer, so you can re assign it.

    Check if virtual box is keeping your virtual hard drive. I would just uninstall it. Manually delete any dirs and profiles left behind. then reinstall. Must be a config error.

    Make sure you install with full admin rights. disable UAC. Thats all abit of a guess, but the best I can do mate. After this your best option is to post on the virtual box forums, they can help better than here.

    Good luck.
  7. Lee-m said:
    I unselected my self as best answer, so you can re assign it.

    Check if virtual box is keeping your virtual hard drive. I would just uninstall it. Manually delete any dirs and profiles left behind. then reinstall. Must be a config error.

    Make sure you install with full admin rights. disable UAC. Thats all abit of a guess, but the best I can do mate. After this your best option is to post on the virtual box forums, they can help better than here.

    Good luck.


    Virtualbox is not keeping my virtual hard drive. That's what it's supposed to do, right? If I have say a 50 GB fixed size disk on my D:\ drive (which is 150 GB) it would say 100 of 150 GB available. If I delete it, it goes back to 150 GB free.

    Also, this happens with every OS I try.

    I'll see if uninstalling works.
  8. Lee M,

    I think I found the problem, in the the CD/DVD menu in the top bar, I didn't remove the CD-DVD file from the drive (the .iso file, not a real disc) from the menu, and the virtual machine booted with that, and if I did remove it, it would boot from the files on the hard drive.
  9. Best answer
    Guess we'll put this one down to a n00b error then ;)
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Systems Virtualbox