Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

What GPU to buy for my computer

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Computers
  • Windows 7
  • Graphics Cards
  • HD
Last response: in Graphics Cards
March 4, 2014 8:43:53 AM

Hi all,
This is my first thread and hope you can help me
I have this computer:
- Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (DDR3-LGA 1366)
- Intel i7 930
- RAM G.Skill 3x2GB DDR3 1600 (F3 12800 CL 7-8-7-24 1.5v)
- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
- Lancool PC-K60 Dragonlord
- Seasonic X-650 Modular SS-650KM (80 Plus Hybrid-silent)
- Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB FAEX
- ATI Asus 6870
- LG GH24LS50 22X SATA
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits OEM

The Asus 6870 is failing again (*) and i am looking for a replacement and i don't really know what should i buy, so:
Could you, please, tell me what would you buy for that computer?
I want to know what would you buy to search reviews and find what is better for me.
I don't post my budget because i want you to post what would you buy for yourselves if you had this computer.

If it helps: i try to make it last as much as posible as i don't need to max all graphic settings, and of course, i would like to spend the least posible to get the best :p  .

Thank you in advance ;)  .
EDIT: by now i play at 1080p (i don't know if i will upgrade on the future).

(*)= i had an ASUS 5850 reference card; the fan failed. I sent it to support with the promise of getting the same repaired or a better one (they would ask me to let me choose if they could not repair it). ASUS replaced it after FOUR months for a DirectCU 5850 without asking, i complained because of the broken promise and they only offered a reference 6870. It failed... I sent it to support and they sent it back saying it was the same (it is not) and it was fine (it was not)... It is failing now... (this is a very short version of what happened).
I will NEVER buy an ASUS product again as if it fails they just don't care about it.
I know people usually likes it but this is my first and last ASUS product, and i have found some people that has had the same problems, so it is not that i had bad luck.

Anyway, you can recomend me ASUS graphics cards if you really like them, but i will try to find other brands with the same specs of the ASUS you recomend me.

More about : gpu buy computer

a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
March 4, 2014 8:53:51 AM

If you are looking for a better Graphics card without bottlenecking your cpu, you should get GTX 760 for the best. looking at your comments for Asus, then following will be better for you.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $259.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-04 11:53 EST-0500)
m
1
l
March 4, 2014 10:26:36 AM

brarboy said:
If you are looking for a better Graphics card without bottlenecking your cpu, you should get GTX 760 for the best. looking at your comments for Asus, then following will be better for you.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $259.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-04 11:53 EST-0500)

Thank you for the answer and the links. Of course you can recomend me an ASUS card as you are "ASUS Authority" just for curiosity, but i doubt i will ever risk to have to contact ASUS support again (more than one whole year waiting for those awful replacements and really bad behavoir of them -believe me i tried to avoid all they did to me and they have not apologized once-).

About the GTX 760, i have tried to find some info and i have found this from other thread ( http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1043?vs=1038 ). Seems the GTX 760 and the 270x are pretty close, and as the GTX 760 seems a bit more expensive, do you think it is worth it the extra money?

Also i forgot to say that i would prefer a graphic card that can keep cool without a lot of problems, as i think a cooler card can last more time before having problems, but as i said i don't know much about graphic cards, so probably all have the same high temperatures.

m
0
l
Related resources
a c 330 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b $ Windows 7
March 4, 2014 11:16:40 AM

The EVGA GTX760 comes with one thing you may find of great interest: The best warranty and service in the business. Period.
And the cooler is also good.
m
1
l
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
March 4, 2014 7:43:14 PM

JFST said:
brarboy said:
If you are looking for a better Graphics card without bottlenecking your cpu, you should get GTX 760 for the best. looking at your comments for Asus, then following will be better for you.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $259.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-04 11:53 EST-0500)

Thank you for the answer and the links. Of course you can recomend me an ASUS card as you are "ASUS Authority" just for curiosity, but i doubt i will ever risk to have to contact ASUS support again (more than one whole year waiting for those awful replacements and really bad behavoir of them -believe me i tried to avoid all they did to me and they have not apologized once-).

About the GTX 760, i have tried to find some info and i have found this from other thread ( http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1043?vs=1038 ). Seems the GTX 760 and the 270x are pretty close, and as the GTX 760 seems a bit more expensive, do you think it is worth it the extra money?

Also i forgot to say that i would prefer a graphic card that can keep cool without a lot of problems, as i think a cooler card can last more time before having problems, but as i said i don't know much about graphic cards, so probably all have the same high temperatures.



that's our personal preferences going for some individual card brand. But i can say, GTX 760 of Asus has the best temps readings and also works on very low noise. Keeping in mind that you were avoiding Asus, i picked next best EVGA for you. I am simple user who got Badge of Authority of Asus, yet i feel sorry for whatever you have gone through.

So, looking at both cards you mentioned i would still put my money on NVIDIA for some reasons. Yes, it would worth it if you can pick that card in your budget.
m
1
l
March 5, 2014 5:09:46 AM

coozie7 said:
The EVGA GTX760 comes with one thing you may find of great interest: The best warranty and service in the business. Period.
And the cooler is also good.

Hope i don't need to use the warranty of any brand :p  .

brarboy said:
...
that's our personal preferences going for some individual card brand. But i can say, GTX 760 of Asus has the best temps readings and also works on very low noise. Keeping in mind that you were avoiding Asus, i picked next best EVGA for you. I am simple user who got Badge of Authority of Asus, yet i feel sorry for whatever you have gone through.

So, looking at both cards you mentioned i would still put my money on NVIDIA for some reasons. Yes, it would worth it if you can pick that card in your budget.

If you want, you can explain me these reasons for choosing NVIDIA, as i am very interested on knowing all i can before buying a card, but maybe it is too long to explain, so you don't have to ;)  .
I will check the asus version you said to compare with other brands (but i will not buy it as i don't trust them :p  , but it will help me ;)  ).

Also i would like to ask some more questions that i have been thinking:
How are the Gigabyte and MSI versions of the GTX 760? The Gigabyte one has 3 fans so maybe it is cooler and i have read that MSI has redone the circuits of the 760 but EVGA keeps the reference.

Does the ATI Mantle or the NVIDIA Physx or G-SYNC are important?

Also, to check the real temperatures of a card you have to find a review for these specific card, right? because the 84ºC of these comparisons i posted seems too high for me.

You can avoid to answer this as it is pure curiosity :p  :
You told me that i need the GTX 760 to avoid bottlenecking, so with the cards i have had i guess i had some bottlenecking, right?
And how can you know if something can bottleneck you computer? Is is easy to know looking some specs or you need a lot of knowledge about the different computer parts?.




m
0
l
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
March 5, 2014 8:56:57 AM

Here is comparison of everything you are looking for:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_760...

You will be able to install NVIDIA Physx, once your gpu installed so you don't have to worry about that.
Your previous card wasn't and didn't bottleneck anything. Bottleneck is like, you have GTX 760 and your friend has GTX 770 gpu but same cpu. You see that your friend is just getting 3-8fps more than you in same game you both are playing. Then it is most likely your friend's cpu is bottlenecking gpu's performance.
m
1
l
March 5, 2014 9:57:13 AM

brarboy said:
Here is comparison of everything you are looking for:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_760...

You will be able to install NVIDIA Physx, once your gpu installed so you don't have to worry about that.
Your previous card wasn't and didn't bottleneck anything. Bottleneck is like, you have GTX 760 and your friend has GTX 770 gpu but same cpu. You see that your friend is just getting 3-8fps more than you in same game you both are playing. Then it is most likely your friend's cpu is bottlenecking gpu's performance.

Oh, so, you told me that i should not get anything more than a 760 because my i7 could not handle all its power. I understood that it was the CPU that was not using all its power :pt1cable:  .

I will check a bit more the link you posted but the MSI looks good too.

Can you (or anyone) recomend me a card a bit cheaper? I just want to compare both to see what is better for me ;)  (but from what i have seen by now the price diferences are not too big so this is probably the "correct" one).
m
0
l
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
March 5, 2014 10:05:29 AM

JFST said:
brarboy said:
Here is comparison of everything you are looking for:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_760...

You will be able to install NVIDIA Physx, once your gpu installed so you don't have to worry about that.
Your previous card wasn't and didn't bottleneck anything. Bottleneck is like, you have GTX 760 and your friend has GTX 770 gpu but same cpu. You see that your friend is just getting 3-8fps more than you in same game you both are playing. Then it is most likely your friend's cpu is bottlenecking gpu's performance.

Oh, so, you told me that i should not get anything more than a 760 because my i7 could not handle all its power. I understood that it was the CPU that was not using all its power :pt1cable:  .

I will check a bit more the link you posted but the MSI looks good too.

Can you (or anyone) recomend me a card a bit cheaper? I just want to compare both to see what is better for me ;)  (but from what i have seen by now the price diferences are not too big so this is probably the "correct" one).


looking for next simple gpu??? :D 
Step down and look at GTX 750ti if that previous budget is huge. Here you go:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $159.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-05 13:04 EST-0500)
m
1
l
March 6, 2014 7:29:53 AM

brarboy said:
...
looking for next simple gpu??? :D 
Step down and look at GTX 750ti if that previous budget is huge. Here you go:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $159.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-05 13:04 EST-0500)

Thank you, will check it, but at first look it looks a big step down, so as i said, the "correct" card would be the 760 you suggested. Maybe you don't know but, how is the MSI one? By now, it seems the best (not counting the ASUS one but you can compare to it if you want, to see what would be better).

And one last question that i am pretty sure nobody can answer but, is there any posibility of a price drop of all these cards on the near future? (i don't want to buy one and find that in a week i could have gotten it cheaper :p  ).
m
0
l
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
March 6, 2014 7:43:12 AM

yeah that is big step down for GTX 750ti. Also, that's right about correct card is GTX 760. Looking at the performance of each card with similar specs of other build components, there will be no more than 2-4fps difference in them. One of them will outperform in some game while other gpu will in other game. Atlast, it comes to you for which you want to pick, though none will disappoint you :D 
Coming to the last question, yeah that is for sure no one can answer accurately. Though take a look at their prices falls and hikes on below website:
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=142
Just choose the gpu and in next page at the bottom you can look for history of their prices on online sellers websites.
m
1
l
March 6, 2014 8:30:06 AM

brarboy said:
yeah that is big step down for GTX 750ti. Also, that's right about correct card is GTX 760. Looking at the performance of each card with similar specs of other build components, there will be no more than 2-4fps difference in them. One of them will outperform in some game while other gpu will in other game. Atlast, it comes to you for which you want to pick, though none will disappoint you :D 
Coming to the last question, yeah that is for sure no one can answer accurately. Though take a look at their prices falls and hikes on below website:
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=142
Just choose the gpu and in next page at the bottom you can look for history of their prices on online sellers websites.

Seems not to much price change on these cards with that pcpartpicker "tool" you gave me.

I could get MSI N760 TF 2GD5/OC Gaming for arround 240€ (maybe 10€ less)
The MSI GTX 750 Ti 150€
And a MSI GTX 660 (i have found that can compare a bit to a 760 but is older) 170€
By now i am looking MSI but it is not definitive as i usually take some time until i finnaly choose to buy one (looking reviews and prices)
(I would have to add the delivery on some of them)

These would be the prices for my country, so i don't know what would be better (i am also looking some ATI cards), but still seems the 760 could be more future proof.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
March 6, 2014 8:40:17 AM

JFST said:

Seems not to much price change on these cards with that pcpartpicker "tool" you gave me.

I could get MSI N760 TF 2GD5/OC Gaming for arround 240€ (maybe 10€ less)
The MSI GTX 750 Ti 150€
And a MSI GTX 660 (i have found that can compare a bit to a 760 but is older) 170€
By now i am looking MSI but it is not definitive as i usually take some time until i finnaly choose to buy one (looking reviews and prices)
(I would have to add the delivery on some of them)

These would be the prices for my country, so i don't know what would be better (i am also looking some ATI cards), but still seems the 760 could be more future proof.


GTX 760 is more or less equivalent to GTX 670 rather than 660 buddy. If you are getting anything much better at cheaper price, go for that. Take all your time and decide when you finally want to go for it.
It has been great to discuss with you. Good luck for better future :) 
Share
March 6, 2014 8:47:14 AM

brarboy said:
...
GTX 760 is more or less equivalent to GTX 670 rather than 660 buddy. If you are getting anything much better at cheaper price, go for that. Take all your time and decide when you finally want to go for it.
It has been great to discuss with you. Good luck for better future :) 

Thank you again for you help.
I will choose one of your answers as solution but all helped ;)  .
m
0
l
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
March 6, 2014 8:56:23 AM

JFST said:

Thank you again for you help.
I will choose one of your answers as solution but all helped ;)  .


That was kind of you :) 
Let us know for which you went and share your reviews regarding the performance.
m
1
l
March 25, 2014 5:18:39 AM

Hi again,
I know i had chosen a solution, but i have another question and i would like to know your opinion about it, so hope you can help me brarboy ;)  :
I can get a MSI GTX 770 for 272€
And a MSI GTX 760 for 220€
Would it be worth it the 52€ of difference to get a 770, or with my computer it would be to "waste" my money?

I "choose" (by now) MSI, because the EVGA is more expensive, and the Gigabyte cards are too big for my case.

I have been thinking about increasing the fan speed of the card i have now to wait for the 800 series (i created a thread about that, and i have to try it), but as i am not sure if it would be worth it to wait, i want to know all the options i have.

Of course I apreciate any comment of anyone, but i am asking brarboy, because he helped me a lot ;)  .


brarboy said:
...
That was kind of you :) 
Let us know for which you went and share your reviews regarding the performance.

Sorry, dind't see this; and well, as you see it can take me a while untill i decide xD :p  ;)  .
m
0
l
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
March 25, 2014 5:43:42 AM

there is nothing bad with your setup to run GTX 770 card. As you will be playing at 1080p resolution, then yes go for MSI N770 TF 2GD5/OC and there is nothing bad with MSI cards. About 800 series of nvidia, there isn't even accurate date to it's release. If you can wait for this whole year, then you might really know their release.
m
1
l
March 25, 2014 6:16:04 AM

brarboy said:
there is nothing bad with your setup to run GTX 770 card. As you will be playing at 1080p resolution, then yes go for MSI N770 TF 2GD5/OC and there is nothing bad with MSI cards. About 800 series of nvidia, there isn't even accurate date to it's release. If you can wait for this whole year, then you might really know their release.

Thanx for the answer ;)  .
I have read that to not bottleneck the 770 i should overclock a bit the CPU, but maybe if i don't do it it can work fine too.
And what about the price difference? Do you think is it worth it the "extra" 52€? Or the performance with the 760 will be too close?

About the 800 series, that is what worries me, that maybe they take a lot to release it and then it is not as good or as cheap (the 700) as i think.

;) 
m
0
l
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
March 25, 2014 8:01:48 AM

JFST said:
brarboy said:
there is nothing bad with your setup to run GTX 770 card. As you will be playing at 1080p resolution, then yes go for MSI N770 TF 2GD5/OC and there is nothing bad with MSI cards. About 800 series of nvidia, there isn't even accurate date to it's release. If you can wait for this whole year, then you might really know their release.

Thanx for the answer ;)  .
I have read that to not bottleneck the 770 i should overclock a bit the CPU, but maybe if i don't do it it can work fine too.
And what about the price difference? Do you think is it worth it the "extra" 52€? Or the performance with the 760 will be too close?

About the 800 series, that is what worries me, that maybe they take a lot to release it and then it is not as good or as cheap (the 700) as i think.

;) 


the difference of framerates will vary from game to game on 1080p resolution. Also, don't worry about bottleneck as you won't have any with GTX 770 if you increase increase bit of clock speeds.
If you are looking for something longer time period, then it is really worth it. Here check out the benchmarks:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/854?vs=829
m
1
l
March 26, 2014 8:57:53 AM

brarboy said:
...
the difference of framerates will vary from game to game on 1080p resolution. Also, don't worry about bottleneck as you won't have any with GTX 770 if you increase increase bit of clock speeds.
If you are looking for something longer time period, then it is really worth it. Here check out the benchmarks:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/854?vs=829

Sorry for the late reply ;)  .
Someone gave me a good thread about overclocking the i7; i will read it but i don't know if i will use it, as i don't want to burn it :p  .

And yes, i try to make the graphic cards (and everything) last as much as posible, so if the price difference is "fair", then i will check the 770.

I am a bit concerned about the temps of the chip, and the Vram Temps (i don't know why the reviews don't show these) that seems to hit close to 80ºC and more than 90ºC on the Vram (on almost any brand and cooler).
That is why i am thinking about trying to wait, if the card can :p  (i will try to increase the fan speed to see results), to the 800 series, but seems nobody really knows a lot about it.

Thank you for your help ;)  .


m
0
l
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
March 26, 2014 10:50:49 AM

good luck for the future. Yes get the 770 for the best. If you are talking about other card's temps, then just remove your card's heat sink and re-apply Arctic Silver thermal paste and reinstall the heat sink and check the difference.
m
1
l
March 26, 2014 11:40:25 AM

brarboy said:
good luck for the future. Yes get the 770 for the best. If you are talking about other card's temps, then just remove your card's heat sink and re-apply Arctic Silver thermal paste and reinstall the heat sink and check the difference.

Thanx ;)  .
But no, i am talking about the 770 temperatures. I have been reading comments that say that it hits the temps i said (close to 80 on chip and more than 90ºC on Vram) on games like Battlefield 4 or tests like unigine valley, and that is what make me doubt.
About the Arctic Silver thermal paste i think you cannot apply it on Vram, right? For Vram i think you have to buy some heatsinks designed for those if i am not wrong.
m
0
l
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
March 26, 2014 7:58:47 PM

i am currently using Asus GTX 770, after running Heaven Benchmarks my highest temp was 64C at the highest point with room temperature 23C. Rest there can be increase if there isn't really better airflow in cabinet.
I hope you are saying VRM(voltage regulator module) not Vram(Video Ram). No, we can't apply thermal paste on them and yes, you can install heatsink on them.
m
1
l
March 27, 2014 10:32:40 AM

brarboy said:
i am currently using Asus GTX 770, after running Heaven Benchmarks my highest temp was 64C at the highest point with room temperature 23C. Rest there can be increase if there isn't really better airflow in cabinet.
I hope you are saying VRM(voltage regulator module) not Vram(Video Ram). No, we can't apply thermal paste on them and yes, you can install heatsink on them.

Maybe the comments are from people with bad cabinets, i will try to find more info.

About the VRM an VRam, i don't actually know what it is each, i mean, i don't know what of these can hit high temperatures. This make me a bit confused so i have to seach some info :p  .

But now, you will not believe it (as i am still don't believe it) but seems my card "has fixed" itself :??:  . I tried it yesterday to see how it was, to start to increase fan speeds and see differences, and after playing the same game (BF3) it now shows on the same sensor 94ºC when before it was 102ºC .
Of course i have to try it more (maybe just a temporal "fix") but it seems that if i let it "rest" after some days of full load "job", it fixes itself as maybe it has done it before (i said "maybe", because ASUS told me it was the same, and it was "fine", but i didn't believed them as it had a "clear" temperature problem that could not have been fixed without "help").
It is a really weird behavoir so when i test it more and if it shows the same then i will create a new thread to try to understand and explain it (and fix it if posible).
Really weird :heink:  .

m
0
l
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
March 28, 2014 4:00:12 AM

cabinet air flow and circulation is also one of the main concern in high temp readings. About your card, as said before just reapply the thermal past on gpu and fix the cooler back onto the chip. I hope that will solve your problem :bic: 
m
1
l
March 28, 2014 10:43:33 AM

brarboy said:
cabinet air flow and circulation is also one of the main concern in high temp readings. About your card, as said before just reapply the thermal past on gpu and fix the cooler back onto the chip. I hope that will solve your problem :bic: 

Thank you.
I will try to test it this weekend (i am a bit busy these days; that is why i take some time to reply, sorry), and see how is it, as this change on the temperatures is really weird (at least i have never read someone with the same problem), and this is why i am not sure the thermal paste could fix it, and also i don't know if that "GPU Temp 2" sensor is from the chip (the thermal paste could fix it) or from something else (and i cannot apply paste there). I can't understand or explain this temperature change :heink: .

m
0
l
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
March 28, 2014 11:18:07 AM

JFST said:

Thank you.
I will try to test it this weekend (i am a bit busy these days; that is why i take some time to reply, sorry), and see how is it, as this change on the temperatures is really weird (at least i have never read someone with the same problem), and this is why i am not sure the thermal paste could fix it, and also i don't know if that "GPU Temp 2" sensor is from the chip (the thermal paste could fix it) or from something else (and i cannot apply paste there). I can't understand or explain this temperature change :heink: .


Is it still under warranty? And what software are you using to check the temps? Check with Asus Gpu Tweak.
Other thing you can try before applying thermal compound on your gpu is check your drivers for update. To know the area where to apply thermal paste, just check the area where heat sink sits on gpu.
m
1
l
March 28, 2014 1:08:13 PM

brarboy said:
...
Is it still under warranty? And what software are you using to check the temps? Check with Asus Gpu Tweak.
Other thing you can try before applying thermal compound on your gpu is check your drivers for update. To know the area where to apply thermal paste, just check the area where heat sink sits on gpu.

Yes, it is still under warranty, but ASUS just do not want to answer... And i am not able to find a way to escalate this (i am still trying...). That is why i will NEVER buy ASUS again...

I use GPUz, i.e:
I used to have this:
http://i.imgur.com/TSwwxHS.gif
Then i had this; that was when i contacted ASUS:
http://i.imgur.com/raaWvFz.gif
And now (i have not uploaded screen) i have 94ºC when a few weeks ago i had 102ºC on the same sensor :??:  .

I updated the drivers when i started to have problems but nothing changed. I can try to search if there is a new one, but i don't think that would be the problem.

About the thermal paste, as i said, i don't know what is that "GPU Temp 2" sensor, so even if i apply termal paste (i have to buy it and learn to apply it correctly) i don't know if it could solve it as maybe the sensor is not covered with paste; i don't know a lot, so maybe what i said is a nonsense :p  , but i think the thermal paste is only for the main chip, and to cool VRM or VRam (i am not sure) you need heatsinks designed for these.

P.S. i will try it tomorrow to see if it was a "temporal" fix.
m
0
l
March 29, 2014 5:38:23 AM

brarboy said:
here are 2 threads for your answers:
GPU Temperature #1, #2 and #3
and;
temperatures
Let me know if they make any sense to you :D 

A quick look seems all the temps are on the chip, so thermal paste would cool it, but still i don't understand why it was slowly increasing its temperatures only on that sensor and then "magicaly" droped to a "normal" temperature.
And i think i am not going to be able to test it today (hope i can tomorrow :(  ).

Edit: a look at the second thread makes me doubt again if it is on the chip xD (i will read it with more time).

m
0
l
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
March 29, 2014 11:51:30 AM

according to those threads, #1 temperature is of gpu processor. Coming to #2, which states the temperature of VRMs and last #3 states the temps of Memory of gpu. Still try cleaning out your gpu heatsink and installing it again with thermal compound properly applied. Blow compressed air upon card too, if you can do that. Then post the results.
m
1
l
March 30, 2014 7:39:16 AM

brarboy said:
according to those threads, #1 temperature is of gpu processor. Coming to #2, which states the temperature of VRMs and last #3 states the temps of Memory of gpu. Still try cleaning out your gpu heatsink and installing it again with thermal compound properly applied. Blow compressed air upon card too, if you can do that. Then post the results.

But on the first thread at the end, the user-admin "W1zzard" did some tests with and without heatsinks on the VRM and seems he found no difference of temperature concluding all sensors were on GPU. Some people disagree and on the second thread some people seems to be able to cool these temps with VRM heatsinks, so i don't know where is the difference (maybe even the 6870 i have is different as it is a replacement where i can see some welds that i think were done to "repair" it by ASUS -it has a reference cooler over a DirectCu motherboard, so they had to "adjust" it-).

Anyway, the thermal paste could help, and the heatsinks maybe too but still i cannot explain why the temperatures of just one of the sensors (others were fine) was slowly increasing from 93ºC to 102ºC, and after some weeks of "rest" it seems it is back to 94ºC without doing anything to it.
Unfortunatelly, again, i will not be able to test it today (maybe tomorrow?), i am always busy when i want to test things and i don't know why xD .

m
0
l
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
March 30, 2014 8:05:40 AM

A lot of VRMs are rated at 125°C (as they are usually power MOSFET chips, and those are normally rated at either 85°C or 125°C). The VRMs vary between manufacturers (even 2 seemingly identical cards) so the best way to find out is to try to find the little chips near the PCI-E power connectors (usually 3-terminals at one end + grounding tab at the other) and look up their part numbers. If rated at 125°C, i don't think you should be concerned.

On the other way another alternative you can apply is download GPU Tweak software and try to minimize the voltage and clock speed of your gpu. Increase the fan speed at temps more than 80C to 100%. And keep us updated with your situation.
m
1
l
March 31, 2014 6:47:21 AM

brarboy said:
A lot of VRMs are rated at 125°C (as they are usually power MOSFET chips, and those are normally rated at either 85°C or 125°C). The VRMs vary between manufacturers (even 2 seemingly identical cards) so the best way to find out is to try to find the little chips near the PCI-E power connectors (usually 3-terminals at one end + grounding tab at the other) and look up their part numbers. If rated at 125°C, i don't think you should be concerned.

On the other way another alternative you can apply is download GPU Tweak software and try to minimize the voltage and clock speed of your gpu. Increase the fan speed at temps more than 80C to 100%. And keep us updated with your situation.

To see these MOSFETS chips i have to remove the cooler, right? By now i need to learn before doing it, but i remember that when hitting 102ºC i checked the scoreboard (BF3) and the letters didn't showed correctly, maybe coincidence, but i thought it was like an artifact.

And with GPU Tweak if i minimize voltage and clock speed the performace will lower too, right?
What i am going to do for sure is to increase the fan speed even if after testing it (hope i can do it today) it keeps "normal" temperatures of arround 94ºC, but i am still concerned as it was hiting 102ºC and doing nothing is has now normal temps.
I hope this last until the 800 series are out, and hope it is worth it the wait.
;) 
m
0
l
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
March 31, 2014 10:29:55 AM

i saw a guy saying that he has been running with vram temps above 105°C for more than an year, and later he found out his card was 125°C rated. By decreasing the clock speed, yes you will have decrease in performance. Anyway, post your results with fan speed.
m
1
l
April 1, 2014 12:03:30 PM

brarboy said:
i saw a guy saying that he has been running with vram temps above 105°C for more than an year, and later he found out his card was 125°C rated. By decreasing the clock speed, yes you will have decrease in performance. Anyway, post your results with fan speed.

I was able to test it yesterday (finally xD). First i tested it in a normal way, and i had 78ºC on the "main" (as always) and 92-93ºC on that GPU Temp 2 :heink:  ... I wonder how is that posible; a 10ºC temperature drop touching nothing.

Then i tried to increase fan speed. First i tried the "double" of what the fan used to have 60%, but it was too loud (can i break the fan if i keep it at that speed or more?), so i changed it to 45% and tested: 63ºC on "main" and 76-77ºC on 2nd, but it was loud too. So i finally tested it at 35% (the auto was arround 30-31%): 71ºC main and 84-85ºC on 2nd.
(I have screenshots and logs of GPUz, if you need them)

I can only understand the increase of temperature from 92 to 102 because when playing BF3, between rounds, the fan lower its speed and when starting a new round the fan goes back to high speed, maybe on these changes there is something that "suffers". But still i cannot understand why it kept increasing from day to day and after a "rest" of weeks it goes back to 92ºC, it is like if the GPU Temp 2 got "tired".
I don't know if i should create a new thread to find an explanation to this.

Anyway, is 35% a good fan speed or should i increase it? (if it does not break it maybe i can get used to the noise of a higher speed, but the temps at 35% seems are not bad).



m
0
l
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
April 1, 2014 12:15:13 PM

those temps are really showing better post by post :D 
Keep 35% and nothing will break in your gpu. Don't take so hard on yourself for what gpu offers you. I hope everything will be solved onces new Nvidia series are released. Till then just enjoy as much as you can with current gpu ;) 
m
1
l
April 2, 2014 7:41:04 AM

brarboy said:
those temps are really showing better post by post :D 
Keep 35% and nothing will break in your gpu. Don't take so hard on yourself for what gpu offers you. I hope everything will be solved onces new Nvidia series are released. Till then just enjoy as much as you can with current gpu ;) 

Then i will keep it at 35% and hope it last untill i can find a good offer of the 800 series :p  . I am still a bit concerned as i don't know if this can happen again; hope the fixed 35% can solve it and never hit more than 95ºC again.
I am thinking about creating a new thread about this to try to find an explanation and to make aware to other people, but i think i will not do it as there are not too many reports about this behavoir of temperatures; have you ever seen a problem like this?
Anyway, thank you again for your help; i cannot choose your answer as i already did xD , but thanx again ;)  .
m
0
l
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
April 2, 2014 9:42:25 AM

JFST said:

Then i will keep it at 35% and hope it last untill i can find a good offer of the 800 series :p  . I am still a bit concerned as i don't know if this can happen again; hope the fixed 35% can solve it and never hit more than 95ºC again.
I am thinking about creating a new thread about this to try to find an explanation and to make aware to other people, but i think i will not do it as there are not too many reports about this behavoir of temperatures; have you ever seen a problem like this?
Anyway, thank you again for your help; i cannot choose your answer as i already did xD , but thanx again ;)  .


glad we could have a bit of topic discussion. There are also some software related issues which can tend to increase the temps, there can be malware or virus infection which again can cause this problem. Reasons can be numerous. However, play safe and good luck in advance for your future gpu :) 
m
1
l
April 2, 2014 10:09:44 AM

brarboy said:
...
glad we could have a bit of topic discussion. There are also some software related issues which can tend to increase the temps, there can be malware or virus infection which again can cause this problem. Reasons can be numerous. However, play safe and good luck in advance for your future gpu :) 

Thanx again. Hope this is "solved" keeping the fan at 35% (it is a bit loud too so maybe i will try "fixed" 31% on the future if i cannot get used to it, but i think i will).
;) 
m
0
l
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
April 2, 2014 10:35:19 AM

JFST said:
brarboy said:
...
glad we could have a bit of topic discussion. There are also some software related issues which can tend to increase the temps, there can be malware or virus infection which again can cause this problem. Reasons can be numerous. However, play safe and good luck in advance for your future gpu :) 

Thanx again. Hope this is "solved" keeping the fan at 35% (it is a bit loud too so maybe i will try "fixed" 31% on the future if i cannot get used to it, but i think i will).
;) 


good luck :) 
m
1
l