Solved

Some AMD 970 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vishera CPUs

I am working on building my gaming pc rig
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/lucienmount/saved/#savedbuild_926993
and I got a notice saying that Some AMD 970 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vishera CPUs what does that mean and should i change the motherboard if i should please give a recommendation for a good motherboard. If you could help it would be great
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about amd 970 chipset motherboards bios update prior vishera cpus
  1. My Asus M5a79 didn't need a bios update and I have an older revision board. Just do some searching about that board and vishera chips and you should find your answer pretty easily. Although you could probably grab a 990 board for similar money, but really the only difference between 970 and 990 is crossfire options.
  2. Some AM3+ motherboards were released for Bulldozer processors and later on they supported Vishera via bios updates. I read on other forums that the Asrock extreme is not a very good board. If you want to get a mobo with a 970 chipset, I recommend one of these two mobos:
    GA-970A-UD3P
    ASUS M5A97 R2.0

    Also the 990 chipset is the best chipset for for Vishera processors especially if you are going to overclock.
    The FX-6350 is basically an overclocked FX-6300 btw.
  3. bjaminnyc said:
    My Asus M5a79 didn't need a bios update and I have an older revision board. Just do some searching about that board and vishera chips and you should find your answer pretty easily. Although you could probably grab a 990 board for similar money, but really the only difference between 970 and 990 is crossfire options.


    Anonymous said:
    Some AM3+ motherboards were released for Bulldozer processors and later on they supported Vishera via bios updates. I read on other forums that the Asrock extreme is not a very good board. If you want to get a mobo with a 970 chipset, I recommend one of these two mobos:
    GA-970A-UD3P
    ASUS M5A97 R2.0

    Also the 990 chipset is the best chipset for for Vishera processors especially if you are going to overclock.
    The FX-6350 is basically an overclocked FX-6300 btw.


    thanks what 990 chipset would you suggest and what mobo do you think would best suit it, I think the ASUS M5A97 R2.0 would be fine, but i may be wrong
  4. Luciennoid said:
    bjaminnyc said:
    My Asus M5a79 didn't need a bios update and I have an older revision board. Just do some searching about that board and vishera chips and you should find your answer pretty easily. Although you could probably grab a 990 board for similar money, but really the only difference between 970 and 990 is crossfire options.


    Anonymous said:
    Some AM3+ motherboards were released for Bulldozer processors and later on they supported Vishera via bios updates. I read on other forums that the Asrock extreme is not a very good board. If you want to get a mobo with a 970 chipset, I recommend one of these two mobos:
    GA-970A-UD3P
    ASUS M5A97 R2.0

    Also the 990 chipset is the best chipset for for Vishera processors especially if you are going to overclock.
    The FX-6350 is basically an overclocked FX-6300 btw.


    thanks what 990 chipset would you suggest and what mobo do you think would best suit it, I think the ASUS M5A97 R2.0 would be fine, but i may be wrong



    I typed it incorrectly. I own the ASUS M5A97 (not 79) and it worked with my 8320 without any updates.
  5. The M5A97 R2.0 is a great motherboard and many Vishera chip owners use it for overclocking. Highly recommended.
  6. @AnEwG I use that in my AMD FX-8320 build. PCpartpicker says it MIGHT need a bios update but my bios runs smooth as butter
  7. Best answer
    Most motherboards should be fine now. Vishera was released over a year ago and the companies have already updated all of their motherboards with a BIOs that supports Vishera out of the box. Only the really, really old revisions wouldn't be compatible with it, but I doubt retailers still have those in stock as all of the old revision BIOs version motherboards should have been sold a long time ago.
    The Asus M5A97 R2.0 motherboard is a good board. I personally use it with a FX-6300 and Hyper 212 Plus and I can overclocked my processor to 4.4ghz stable, while only reaching a maximum temp of 50c under full load. If I try to go 4.5ghz or higher, I would crash no matter how high I raise the voltage. This is where the 970 chipset can't deliver all of those voltages due to it's low 4+1 power phase. If you really want a high overclock, go for a 990FX motherboard. The Asus M5A97 R2.0 motherboard should be decent for moderate overclocks though.
Ask a new question

Read More

Chipsets AMD CPUs BIOS Systems Motherboards