Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

windows 7 help can't log on. "The user profile service service failed the logon. Ulser profile cannot be loaded."

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
March 4, 2014 4:51:56 PM

When trying to logon to my Dell laptop, I get the message "The user profile service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded." I was able to create an administrator account with my nephew's help so that I can at least use the internet. Please help!
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
March 4, 2014 5:15:39 PM

Uhmm ewww... Well as your in the ADMIN account then I would do the basics:

Did you install all Windows Updates? Including options except BING? Check them and repeat till ALL are installed.
Download and run Slim Drivers, install all the latest updates but you don't need to reboot until you do the last update
Remove whatever AV your using and go to www.filehippo.com and download AVAST! or AVG and do a full system scan - this repeatedly has resolved alot of people issue relying on MS Essentials.
Download Malwarebytes do a full system scan (AV doesn't pick up alot of malware) - this resolved almost ALL other similiar posts to date as most had Malware the AV didn't pick up.
Repeat the AV/Malware scans till the system comes up clean.

Download and run SPECCY, copy and paste the first tab to show your idle temps
Download and run MSI Afterburner, run some of the games that crash, what temps are you getting when underload?
Open Computer, Can Air dust out the bunnies and use paint brush on the vents, coolers, fans, etc.


IF ANY OF THIS IS TOO TECHNICAL STOP NOW AND BRING IT TO A PROFESSIONAL IT SHOP.
m
0
l
March 4, 2014 5:44:32 PM

Your solution:
in the admin account, open "regedit" in run.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
Inside of that key you will see keys that look like "S-1-5-18" or "S-1-5-21-2790732826-530237220-3214438776-1001"
On one of the longer ones, there will be two. One that is "S-1-5-21-2790732826-530237220-3214438776-1001" or similar and then another that is "S-1-5-21-2790732826-530237220-3214438776-1001.bak"
What you need to do is change the short one to "S-1-5-21-2790732826-530237220-3214438776-1001.back"
then change the long one with .bak to "S-1-5-21-2790732826-530237220-3214438776-1001"
then change the one that we renamed "S-1-5-21-2790732826-530237220-3214438776-1001.back" to "S-1-5-21-2790732826-530237220-3214438776-1001.bak"

Remember, the numbers here are just what are on my computer. The specific numbers may be slightly different but the process is the exact same.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 7, 2014 1:03:38 PM


WHAT IF....the user profile you cant log onto is the ADMIN user, but all others are OK?
Thats what I got. Please help. Thanks
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
March 7, 2014 2:41:27 PM

If you had admin rights over the computer you can change the Admin account password or wipe the computer and start over. Otherwise, if you are NOT admin over the computer, Tom's Hardware does NOT assist in 'cracking' system security.
m
0
l
March 7, 2014 5:12:05 PM

Yes Tom, my user was/is the Admin. Please tell me how to change the password when I cant login as Admin. Thanks. Will that help me solve the issue? The message says it wont load my profile...
m
0
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
March 8, 2014 4:33:06 PM

Okay so the profile got corrupted. Simply reboot into SAFE mode or even right now as it is logged in and run RESTORE, and restore to be previous time that it was working is the first answer. This has NOTHING to do with passwords, so forget all your questions or concerns about that. This is simply the system 'corrupted' the profile of that account you normally log into.
Share
March 27, 2014 9:20:25 AM

That did the trick, thank you so much for your help!
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
March 27, 2014 11:03:43 AM

remember to select mine as the solution then.
m
0
l
April 29, 2014 7:38:27 AM

Tom Tancredi said:
Okay so the profile got corrupted. Simply reboot into SAFE mode or even right now as it is logged in and run RESTORE, and restore to be previous time that it was working is the first answer. This has NOTHING to do with passwords, so forget all your questions or concerns about that. This is simply the system 'corrupted' the profile of that account you normally log into.


Hi

I had the same problem and did what you said but it still not work .what should I do.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
April 29, 2014 10:24:57 AM

@mkhare did you go into safe mode? Did you do a restore to before the issue happened?
m
0
l
April 29, 2014 11:22:16 AM

Tom Tancredi said:
@mkhare did you go into safe mode? Did you do a restore to before the issue happened?


yes I did that two times but still the same...........

m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
April 29, 2014 5:40:26 PM

Then you will need to reinstall Windows.
m
0
l
May 11, 2014 11:36:21 AM

xcrossroadsx said:
Your solution:
in the admin account, open "regedit" in run.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
Inside of that key you will see keys that look like "S-1-5-18" or "S-1-5-21-2790732826-530237220-3214438776-1001"
On one of the longer ones, there will be two. One that is "S-1-5-21-2790732826-530237220-3214438776-1001" or similar and then another that is "S-1-5-21-2790732826-530237220-3214438776-1001.bak"
What you need to do is change the short one to "S-1-5-21-2790732826-530237220-3214438776-1001.back"
then change the long one with .bak to "S-1-5-21-2790732826-530237220-3214438776-1001"
then change the one that we renamed "S-1-5-21-2790732826-530237220-3214438776-1001.back" to "S-1-5-21-2790732826-530237220-3214438776-1001.bak"

Remember, the numbers here are just what are on my computer. The specific numbers may be slightly different but the process is the exact same.


m
0
l
May 15, 2014 11:51:57 AM

This did the trick immediately. Thanks Tom! I thought my system was toast.
Tom Tancredi said:
Okay so the profile got corrupted. Simply reboot into SAFE mode or even right now as it is logged in and run RESTORE, and restore to be previous time that it was working is the first answer. This has NOTHING to do with passwords, so forget all your questions or concerns about that. This is simply the system 'corrupted' the profile of that account you normally log into.


m
0
l
June 10, 2014 10:42:18 AM

I have received the same message on my HP desktop and it won't let me into my computer... Any help would be appreciated!
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
June 10, 2014 10:59:09 PM

movinon2004 said:
I have received the same message on my HP desktop and it won't let me into my computer... Any help would be appreciated!


These forums aren't "Me TOO!" threads. This and other similar threads ALREADY provides steps and solutions, IF YOU READ IT and not just post "ME TOO!". Please post your questions separately about your OWN issues.
I would suggest following these answers, first, then post what YOU DID DO on your own to resolve it to avoid being 'redundant'
m
0
l
July 2, 2014 5:06:59 PM

I have tried everything u have said to try. When rebooting in tap f8 but it doesn't come up safe mode.. My laptop doesn't have a cd/ DVD spot on it. It just keeps coming up the user profile service service failed to logon.. It only have one profile on this laptop and it has no password.. Please help. Is there anything I can do b4 I throw the laptop at the wall. It runs on windows 7.. Can I some how restart my laptop with connection to iPad?
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
July 3, 2014 10:41:25 AM

Pamsum said:
I have tried everything u have said to try. When rebooting in tap f8 but it doesn't come up safe mode.. My laptop doesn't have a cd/ DVD spot on it. It just keeps coming up the user profile service service failed to logon.. It only have one profile on this laptop and it has no password.. Please help. Is there anything I can do b4 I throw the laptop at the wall. It runs on windows 7.. Can I some how restart my laptop with connection to iPad?


No you can't connect a iPad to a laptop and run it! All laptops have a DVD, except for ultra thins, they use a EXTERNAL (bought seperately) drive, TABLETS (different then laptops) ONLY have USB connected items (like External drives). IN ALL CASES, when you FIRST POWER ON the WINDOWS COMPUTER, start TAPPING (not hold, and not just a couple of taps) repeated the F8 key. you will get a MENU, not 'safe mode' and you need to PICK in the menu SAFE MODE. Then as noted follow the other steps. You HAVE to have F8, as it is built into Windows code, and is how it 'basically works'.

If your still unable to resolve that, then you need to take it to get serviced to a IT Shop, or like Best Buy, etc. Sadly though the costs for such things START at $150, so quickly you could be spending MORE then just buying a brand new laptop (I3 laptop at Walmart was only $249 used for basic common use, not gaming or such).
m
0
l
August 24, 2014 4:48:57 PM

Sorry Tom. but NO.. when it comes to PC, ALL laptops DO NOT have a DVD drive. Some don't even have a CD ROM.
... Just stating the facts. :p 




Tom Tancredi said:
Pamsum said:
I have tried everything u have said to try. When rebooting in tap f8 but it doesn't come up safe mode.. My laptop doesn't have a cd/ DVD spot on it. It just keeps coming up the user profile service service failed to logon.. It only have one profile on this laptop and it has no password.. Please help. Is there anything I can do b4 I throw the laptop at the wall. It runs on windows 7.. Can I some how restart my laptop with connection to iPad?


No you can't connect a iPad to a laptop and run it! All laptops have a DVD, except for ultra thins, they use a EXTERNAL (bought seperately) drive, TABLETS (different then laptops) ONLY have USB connected items (like External drives). IN ALL CASES, when you FIRST POWER ON the WINDOWS COMPUTER, start TAPPING (not hold, and not just a couple of taps) repeated the F8 key. you will get a MENU, not 'safe mode' and you need to PICK in the menu SAFE MODE. Then as noted follow the other steps. You HAVE to have F8, as it is built into Windows code, and is how it 'basically works'.

If your still unable to resolve that, then you need to take it to get serviced to a IT Shop, or like Best Buy, etc. Sadly though the costs for such things START at $150, so quickly you could be spending MORE then just buying a brand new laptop (I3 laptop at Walmart was only $249 used for basic common use, not gaming or such).


m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
August 24, 2014 5:20:01 PM

No your very first ever post is trying to start a flame, and you are ignorant that you only wish to do that, as you did NOT read what I said, but just keyed on one word and wanted to flame right off.

Dia- Techxpert said:
Sorry Tom. but NO.. when it comes to PC, ALL laptops DO NOT have a DVD drive. Some don't even have a CD ROM.
... Just stating the facts. :p 

Tom Tancredi said:
Pamsum said:
I have tried everything u have said to try. When rebooting in tap f8 but it doesn't come up safe mode.. My laptop doesn't have a cd/ DVD spot on it. It just keeps coming up the user profile service service failed to logon.. It only have one profile on this laptop and it has no password.. Please help. Is there anything I can do b4 I throw the laptop at the wall. It runs on windows 7.. Can I some how restart my laptop with connection to iPad?


No you can't connect a iPad to a laptop and run it! All laptops have a DVD, except for ultra thins, they use a EXTERNAL (bought seperately) drive, TABLETS (different then laptops) ONLY have USB connected items (like External drives). IN ALL CASES, when you FIRST POWER ON the WINDOWS COMPUTER, start TAPPING (not hold, and not just a couple of taps) repeated the F8 key. you will get a MENU, not 'safe mode' and you need to PICK in the menu SAFE MODE. Then as noted follow the other steps. You HAVE to have F8, as it is built into Windows code, and is how it 'basically works'.

If your still unable to resolve that, then you need to take it to get serviced to a IT Shop, or like Best Buy, etc. Sadly though the costs for such things START at $150, so quickly you could be spending MORE then just buying a brand new laptop (I3 laptop at Walmart was only $249 used for basic common use, not gaming or such).




m
1
l
less than a minute ago

WHOA.. EZ NOW "TOM",, noone's trying to "FLAME RIGHT OFF" anything. :bounce: . (who SAYS that by the way?.. LMAO/SMH) ANYHOW> you stated ALL LAPTOPS HAVE DVD's when perhaps you should have stated that 'Some have and some do not.' Even those that are NOT "Ultra Thins" may not have a DVD or even CD ROM. Calling someone 'ignorant" as if you KNOW ME when they are trying to contribute 30 years of expertise to your little forum is a bit defensive and rude don't you think. Guess I'll discontinue my business with you now at least on my end since I'm so "ignorant" as you so professionally put it. (AGAIN SMH)

A simply thought to ponder,, If one person "zero-ed in" on just one thing you said and may have been misled or confused by the statement who is at fault and would others misconstrue the statement as well? You're no GENIUS nor perfect and forums found on Google offer far more accuracy.

GOOD DAY TO YOU.

:no: 


Tom Tancredi said:
No your very first ever post is trying to start a flame, and you are ignorant that you only wish to do that, as you did NOT read what I said, but just keyed on one word and wanted to flame right off.

Dia- Techxpert said:
Sorry Tom. but NO.. when it comes to PC, ALL laptops DO NOT have a DVD drive. Some don't even have a CD ROM.
... Just stating the facts. :p 

Tom Tancredi said:
Pamsum said:
I have tried everything u have said to try. When rebooting in tap f8 but it doesn't come up safe mode.. My laptop doesn't have a cd/ DVD spot on it. It just keeps coming up the user profile service service failed to logon.. It only have one profile on this laptop and it has no password.. Please help. Is there anything I can do b4 I throw the laptop at the wall. It runs on windows 7.. Can I some how restart my laptop with connection to iPad?


No you can't connect a iPad to a laptop and run it! All laptops have a DVD, except for ultra thins, they use a EXTERNAL (bought seperately) drive, TABLETS (different then laptops) ONLY have USB connected items (like External drives). IN ALL CASES, when you FIRST POWER ON the WINDOWS COMPUTER, start TAPPING (not hold, and not just a couple of taps) repeated the F8 key. you will get a MENU, not 'safe mode' and you need to PICK in the menu SAFE MODE. Then as noted follow the other steps. You HAVE to have F8, as it is built into Windows code, and is how it 'basically works'.

If your still unable to resolve that, then you need to take it to get serviced to a IT Shop, or like Best Buy, etc. Sadly though the costs for such things START at $150, so quickly you could be spending MORE then just buying a brand new laptop (I3 laptop at Walmart was only $249 used for basic common use, not gaming or such).






m
0
l
Related resources
!