Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is the 7870 still worth getting?

Tags:
  • Graphics
  • AMD
  • Graphics Cards
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 5, 2014 12:46:47 PM

Hello, I have a 650ti right now and want to upgrade to a better GPU for bf4 and Dayz. I saw the benchmarks for the radeon 7870 and I would like to play Bf4 on high if not ultra. And I saw the 7870 getting 35 FPS on ultra, so it can most likely run on high without any problem. But is the 7870 still worth getting? They have some on ebay for 200 or lower (havent checked all the pages yet) but yeah, is it still worth getting or is there something better for the same price? Thanks.

More about : 7870 worth

March 5, 2014 12:52:27 PM

I just got rid of a 7870 and went with a 7970...but I was getting great results on bf4 with the 7870.

It was a mixture of high / ultra settings, but looked fantastic and got good fps 40-65ish in multiplayer matches, and campaign...prob averaged 10 more fps.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2014 12:55:50 PM

The R9 270 is a renamed 7870 with a small upgrade.

Any of those cards is worth getting, if you can find one under $200
Coin mining is killing the video card market, for gamers. ( mostly on the AMD side)

The R9 270 started @ $180, and has gone insain from there.

m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2014 12:57:01 PM

I would take a look at the GTX 760 for a little more coin. I had two in the past in SLI and they smashed the Titan for 1/2 the price. Go with a factory overclocked version and you will be able to play your favorite FPS games at high quality and playable frame rates. For a little less, you could look at the R9 270x (basically a rebranded 7870). Since BF4 can take advantage of the new Mantle API, this would be a better card to look at versus the 760 (if BF4 is your mainstay). I would also recommend looking at 3rd party cooling solutions like ASUS Direct CU II or MSI Twin Frozr.

In less words, I would spend $25-$50 more to get a current gen GPU.
Share
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2014 12:59:10 PM

7870 is a nice card but I'd also aim for 760 for a significant upgrade.
m
0
l
March 5, 2014 1:23:08 PM

Also I dont really want to spend more than 200 dollars for an upgrade. I mean the 270x is now what 280 dollars? Way too much, and for the 760 the same price also. And the R9 270 is 260 dollars. And the 660 gets less frames in BF4. So I guess the 7870 still is a good card, right? So should I just get that? Ebay has PLENTY for 200 or maybe less. So is it worth getting?
m
0
l
March 5, 2014 1:23:44 PM

It's also a VERY substantial upgrade from my 650ti. The benchmarks are way different between the two.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 92 U Graphics card
March 5, 2014 2:43:58 PM

To answer your question, yes. I had a sapphire 7870 and runs bf4 in max settings in 1080p if you Overclock it. High recommend it especially at 200 or less.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2014 3:11:28 PM

Sure, get the 7870. You will still get Mantle support with that card!
m
0
l
March 5, 2014 3:38:34 PM

joho5 said:
I just got rid of a 7870 and went with a 7970...but I was getting great results on bf4 with the 7870.

It was a mixture of high / ultra settings, but looked fantastic and got good fps 40-65ish in multiplayer matches, and campaign...prob averaged 10 more fps.


ak47jar3d said:
To answer your question, yes. I had a sapphire 7870 and runs bf4 in max settings in 1080p if you Overclock it. High recommend it especially at 200 or less.

Ok, so what brand should I be looking for? There is an asus ghz edition for 200, is that good?
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 92 U Graphics card
March 5, 2014 4:09:35 PM

Sapphire is the one I recommend becuase I Overclocked that pretty hard. I am sure any ghz version will be equally as good.
m
0
l
March 5, 2014 4:11:51 PM

ak47jar3d said:
Sapphire is the one I recommend becuase I Overclocked that pretty hard. I am sure any ghz version will be equally as good.

I don't really intend on OCing. So an Asus should be good. Has good cooling and noise level is low
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 92 U Graphics card
March 5, 2014 4:15:55 PM

Then you can go ahead with the Asus is a great card. If you ever change your mind about Overclocking, just ask in these forums, I am sure many people including myself can help.
m
0
l
March 5, 2014 5:53:51 PM

ak47jar3d said:
Then you can go ahead with the Asus is a great card. If you ever change your mind about Overclocking, just ask in these forums, I am sure many people including myself can help.


Ok, great! But it's is a great card right? Especially for the price. I should be able to run games on high if not ultra with it?
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 92 U Graphics card
March 5, 2014 6:02:23 PM

Its should be able to run most on ultra in exception of a few games like crysis 3, metro last light, and far cry 3.
m
0
l
March 5, 2014 7:01:56 PM

ak47jar3d said:
Its should be able to run most on ultra in exception of a few games like crysis 3, metro last light, and far cry 3.

Oh ok, I don't even play those games. But I was researching and some benchmarks show the 660 being better and I found one for 175, cheaper than the 7870. Will the 660 perform better in bf4? Or will the 7870 still be the card for Battlefield
m
0
l
March 6, 2014 11:43:30 AM

Bryh456 said:
joho5 said:
I just got rid of a 7870 and went with a 7970...but I was getting great results on bf4 with the 7870.

It was a mixture of high / ultra settings, but looked fantastic and got good fps 40-65ish in multiplayer matches, and campaign...prob averaged 10 more fps.


ak47jar3d said:
To answer your question, yes. I had a sapphire 7870 and runs bf4 in max settings in 1080p if you Overclock it. High recommend it especially at 200 or less.

Ok, so what brand should I be looking for? There is an asus ghz edition for 200, is that good?


I had the sapphire oc edition...so the core clock was overclocked a little from stock.

The asus ghz edition should be fine.

I believe the 7870 is the best bang for the buck now a days...its very capable of playing current gen titles at 1080p.
m
0
l
March 6, 2014 11:45:03 AM

Bryh456 said:
ak47jar3d said:
Its should be able to run most on ultra in exception of a few games like crysis 3, metro last light, and far cry 3.

Oh ok, I don't even play those games. But I was researching and some benchmarks show the 660 being better and I found one for 175, cheaper than the 7870. Will the 660 perform better in bf4? Or will the 7870 still be the card for Battlefield


and like I said, I play bf4 more than any other game and the 7870 was fine running it.
m
0
l
March 6, 2014 12:56:42 PM

joho5 said:
Bryh456 said:
ak47jar3d said:
Its should be able to run most on ultra in exception of a few games like crysis 3, metro last light, and far cry 3.

Oh ok, I don't even play those games. But I was researching and some benchmarks show the 660 being better and I found one for 175, cheaper than the 7870. Will the 660 perform better in bf4? Or will the 7870 still be the card for Battlefield


and like I said, I play bf4 more than any other game and the 7870 was fine running it.


Ok, great!
m
0
l
March 6, 2014 2:08:39 PM

try to get the HD 7870 XT..i have this card and i play all games on Very high-ultra
bf4 i get 40+ on average on ultra
and also Crysis 3..i get minimum FPS 32 @ all Max out except motion blur on medium and AA on 2 or FXAA
that gives me between 32-50 FPS
m
0
l
March 6, 2014 7:36:19 PM

I've actually decided to go with a gtx 670. Thanks for all the answers!
m
0
l
!