Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$2000 System Build($1500 Components)($400 WC'ing)

Last response: in Systems
March 5, 2014 2:50:57 PM

`Ello Everybody, thank you for taking the time to read this. Also yes I know it doesn't add to $2000, I have purposely left $100 for random crap I may need.

I am looking at upgrading my PC because it is getting old, as it is a 4 year system, and I am starting to max out my system when playing certain games. Also I would like to get at least 144 fps for CS:Go and I currently am getting 70-80. I also am looking to go to a complete water cooled build, as I like how quiet my system is currently with the CPU water cooled, and how stable temperatures are.

Purchase Date: Within 1 to 2 weeks
Budget Range: ~$1500.00
Liquid Cooling Budget: ~$400
Total Budget: ~$2000

System Usage: Competitive Gaming(CS:Go) - High-End gaming (Metro: Last Light) - May overclock if I get bored hence WC'ing, may also add an additional video card for SLI/CrossFire(Obvious dependent upon video card) later this year.

Location - San Antonio
Preffered Store: Newegg and Amazon(due to ease of returns and tracking warranties)
Preferred Brand: Asus(willing to try other brands though)
Current System:
CPU:i7-920
Memory: Unknown brand 9gb 1066 3x2gb 3x1gb(not my choice)
GPU: XFX 7850 - 2Gb

New PC Components:

Motherboard: Rampage IV Gene(LGA 2011)
CPU: Intel I7-4820K
RAM: 4*4gb G-Skill RipJaws X Series 1866 DDR3
Hard Drives:
Main Drive: 480GB Crucial SSD
Secondary Drives: 3x 2TB in Raid 5(For data integrity, holds my class notes, music, movies, what not)(doesn't need to be now)
Video Card: EVGA- Nvidia 770 GTX(Would prefer a reference card so that it is easier to get a GPU Block)
Monitor: ASUS VG248QE
PSU: May consider upgrading to 1000W depending on input from you all.

Old Components:
Case: ThermalTake Level 10 GT LCS(Not a new case, approximately 4 years old from last build)
PSU: 750W Thermaltake 80Plus (Can't look at model number as I installed it upside down apparently)
Keyboard: Logitech G15
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder
Headset: Logitech G930
Drive: Blu-Ray Drive

New Liquid Cooling Components:
Thermaltake 240mm Radiator that came with system.
XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 Kit(CPU Block, Ex240 Radiator, and 750 pump w/ attached reservoir)
XSPC Razor GTX 770 GPU Block
Fans: Still considering what fans, how many, and what configuration I will run based on amount of room I have later.

Old Liquid Cooling Components:
Thermaltake Big Water 2x120mm Radiator.

Thank You all for your assistance,
Tanith

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a b G Storage
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 5, 2014 2:58:53 PM

Honestly that is a very solid choice, however I would recommend getting a slightly smaller SSD (like a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB) and spending that extra money on a 780 rather than a 770, the performance is well worth it, and it will last you just as long as your old build has.
March 5, 2014 3:33:34 PM

Yeah, the 2gb vram may not be enough going forward. I have Skyrim and Tomb Raider using 1.7-1.8 so the 3gb 780 may be a better long term choice
m
l
Related resources
March 5, 2014 7:59:14 PM

As far as a 3Gb video card, I am considering the Asus Direct II R9 280X which seems to perform better than a GTX 770 and a little worst than the GTX 780. Plus it's $180 cheaper than the GTX 780.

Edit: Nevermind it was false advertising on pcpartspicker. Looks like I will be looking at GTX 780.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b G Storage
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 6, 2014 7:31:15 AM

Tanithritual said:
As far as a 3Gb video card, I am considering the Asus Direct II R9 280X which seems to perform better than a GTX 770 and a little worst than the GTX 780. Plus it's $180 cheaper than the GTX 780.

Edit: Nevermind it was false advertising on pcpartspicker. Looks like I will be looking at GTX 780.

Great choice! To be honest you'll have a hard time filling up a 480GB SSD unless you have a ton of MMOs. Dropping down to a smaller, better SSD like a Samsung 840EVO will increase your performance and allow you to get a reference 780 from EVGA (you could even look at their B-stock for cheaper ones if you wanted). Glad I could help
m
l
March 6, 2014 8:38:42 AM

Drew010 said:
Tanithritual said:

Great choice! To be honest you'll have a hard time filling up a 480GB SSD unless you have a ton of MMOs. Dropping down to a smaller, better SSD like a Samsung 840EVO will increase your performance and allow you to get a reference 780 from EVGA (you could even look at their B-stock for cheaper ones if you wanted). Glad I could help

Purchased an ASUS GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5 as it has a full EK GPU water block(and I trust ASUS). Thanks for the advice. Once I looked at my current HD usage my main drive only has 127 GBs used, so I went with the 240GB SSD. So I went a little past my budget, but should be good to go for quite some time.
m
l
!