HD 7970 crossfire vs single gpu?

Solution
the think is that crossfiring a 7970 with a other one or a 280x will give great performance but will also need at least a good 750-800w psu and since 7970 are rare to find and 280x rather expensive i would prefer a single gpu upgrade. if you already have a capable psu and you can find a other one (7970-280x) in a good price go for it. isuppose you also have a good cpu for not to run in any cpu bottleneck.
I wouldn't run anything crossfire with AMD cards other than with R9 290s or R9 290Xs as the hardware implementation to deal with the frametime variance issues and microstutter hadn't been dealt with at a hardware level on any other AMD cards but these. The hardware solution should also be in subsequent generations of AMD cards.

I got the information about the frame time variance from the Tom's Ask Me Anything session with AMD's Radeon division and am not just making this up:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ama-toms-hardware,3672-2.html

The third 'Q' on the page.

If I were going to run crossfire, it would only be with R9 290s and 290Xs.

the think is that crossfiring a 7970 with a other one or a 280x will give great performance but will also need at least a good 750-800w psu and since 7970 are rare to find and 280x rather expensive i would prefer a single gpu upgrade. if you already have a capable psu and you can find a other one (7970-280x) in a good price go for it. isuppose you also have a good cpu for not to run in any cpu bottleneck.

Solution
what ubercake says its true micro statter is something you cant really escape from and better dealt from nvidia. my personal preference would be a single card config. also if you are on 1080p 7970 still has what it takes to beat games. better wait for newer hardware its not that far away!