HD 7750 Out of Stock? No Longer Sold?

Rick Ace

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Hello,

I have a 300W PSU on an older PC. :) After doing some research (and talking on tomshardware forums), we decided the 7750 would be a good option. However, it looks like the GPU I was looking at (ASUS Model #: HD7750-1GD5-V2) is mostly out of stock. It's in-stock on Amazon at a higher-price than NewEgg. What's happening? Are they starting to stop manufacturing the 7750? I don't have any time to do the upgrade now. Should I buy it on Amazon for a higher price, and store it until I'm ready to install? Or am I safe to wait a few more months? Thanks!

Solution
Don't worry, the 750 is a powerful card. it only consumes 75% power of Kepler cards of similar power, and a third of Fermi cards, and you could max many games out easily with it.

Rick Ace

Honorable
May 17, 2012

If I'm not mistaken, I don't think the Nvidia GTX750 is compatible with my system. The AMD HD 7750 has been used safely on 300W PSUs. The same can't be said about the GTX 750.

Are they discontinuing the 7000 series? :( The 240 doesn't give out the same performance as the 7750.

AshyCFC

Honorable
Here's a small brief hierarchy of AMD Gpus

In this discussion

R7 250 > 7750 replacement(I suppose?)
R7 240 > 6450 replacement

The R7 250 is faster than a 7730 but slower than a 7750 but 7 series are no longer being made.

The r7 250X is coming out soon though(or may be out now, I cannot remember)
The 250x is better than the 7750 but not sure if it will run on a 300w PSU.

By the way, the 750 TI uses 5more W of Power than the 7750. If the PSU can power a 7750 it can likely power a 750ti.

So the 750ti is 5W more than the 7750 and the 750 is the same > These are GREAT low power gpu.

It all boils down to how much power the GPU uses at full load.
Both the GPU's use the same power, so they should both run on the same PSU.
Only thing is, you have a slight worry about compatibility if you have a PCI-E 1.1 motherboard.
If you have a 1.1 motherboard, then you can't get a PCI-E 2.1 card, it'll not work.
However, in this case, both the cards are PCI-e 3.0, so they're compatible with all motherboards.

naturesninja

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
Yeah, they have already discontinued the 7000 series in favor of r7 and r9. it looks like the 260x is in the same price range as the 7750 though and is superior in stats. You'll have to research PSU requirements though.

AshyCFC

Honorable

you try running a 260x on a 300w no name PSU and tell me what happens (if you can even plug it in)

What you really want is a GTX 750, since they can still be had at MSRP - 750Tis are getting higher prices because of their mining perf/watt ratio.

The GTX 750 is 50% better than the HD 7750 for $25 more. And it draws the same or less power at load. Will run well on a decent 220w PSU.

naturesninja

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013

Oh don't get me wrong, I totally agree. I generally use amd cpu's(higher tdp than intel) so my personal rule of thumb for my builds is that 300w psu's are generally good for only integrated graphics cpu builds and not discrete cards. As I said, I'm not informed with the new 260x gpus, I was only referring to price comparisons vs specs. But thanks, you are totally right to point that out!

Rick Ace

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Thank you guys, for all your answers. :) I've been reading them all, and I've got a better picture now.

Perhaps, some specs will help. I have a Dell Inspiron 530. It has 2GB RAM and a C2D processor (the Intel E4500). 300W PSU. (Yes, I'll upgrade the RAM soon.)

I haven't seen a GTX 750, or GTX 750TI being used on a similar system from Google. The Dell Site doesn't list the 750 or 750TI in the list of compatible products for my system. It's possible that Dell just doesn't sell it. But I felt comfortable with something Dell had listed. What do you guys think? :)

Edit:

Are there any other visible compatibility requirements? I've been trying my best to research this topic. It was a little easier with the 7750 because there were several users with my desktop model using it.

AshyCFC

Honorable
750 only got released less than a month ago.

It uses LESS watts than the 7750 or at most the same, nothing to worry about honestly.

My honest opinion on this system though is don't waste money throwing a GPU into it. The Processor will severely limit the GPU and you'll have wasted your time and $$$

Rick Ace

Honorable
May 17, 2012

I'm interested in upgrading the system over time. I might upgrade the PSU and CPU over the next few years. However, a dedicated card should give me a boost, even if I can't utilize the full power of the GPU right away.

Are you recommending the 750 or the 750TI? :)

In another thread regarding a 300W PSU and a GTX 750, there is a discussion about GTX 750 needing at least "12V on rail". Is this a concern for me?

Oh great - those PSUs are pretty good (this was before they switched to cheaper PSUs in those Inspirons). You don't want to trust Dell about upgrades. They only speak "Overcharge" - you can put any GPU you like in there, as long as it doesn't exceed 10" in length or 4.5" wide, and you have the power for it.

I had an Inspiron 546 and I did the same thing you're doing - upgraded the RAM to 4GB, and popped in the best GPU that didn't require additional power at the time (HD 5670 with a 65w TDP). Then I upgraded the PSU to my current 500w unit, and ran an HD 6870 overclocked for about a year until I built my own rig.

You really really really want a GTX 750 (or 750Ti if it's in your budget) - amazing performance, and will run happily in your Dell.

You're using the wrong viewpoint.
Don't just choose/strike off a GPU just because dell uses/doesn't use it.
It depends on your power supply and motherboard.
What's compatible with your motherboard, runs on it given the PSU can handle it. Simple as that.
About compatibility, some people recommend a BIOS update, but I use a c2d e4600 and a 3.0 card myself without BIOS update and it doesn't have any problems at all.

About the PSU rail, a GPU uses power off of the +12V rail of the power supply. a 60W card uses 5A of current from the 12V rail(i.e. 12x5 =60) and a 240W card uses 20A.
A 300W power supply will most probably have enough current to run a 55W card. I don't think you need to worry about that.

You're absolutely right - you won't be playing the most recent games at High settings with that CPU, but there are a TON of amazing games from the last 5 years or so on Steam for chump change that your upgraded system will run flawlessly.

12v rail is the part of a PSU that provides power to your CPU and GPU. It's rated in amps, and your PSU has plenty to run a 55w card along with your CPU.

Rick Ace

Honorable
May 17, 2012
AshyCFC - Thank you very much for continuously being here for replies. :) I wouldn't have considered the 750 if you hadn't mentioned it.

cst1992 - You're a very knowledgeable person, and I appreciate your replies. I realize that the 750ti is a 60w card, which is higher than the 55w that the 750 needs.

jessterman21 - Thank you! :) It's always great to hear about someone with a similar system. I didn't know that about my PSU. I've been reading about the cheaper Inspiron PSUs, which threw me off.

I think I'm going for the GTX 750. :) The 750ti could be in my budget if the 60w card isn't going to be a big issue. However, I'd be satisfied with a 750 too.

It's going to be hard for me to choose "Best Solution". There were so many helpful answers!

Rick Ace

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Thank you cst1992. :) I've chosen your answer as the best answer, since you were here from the beginning, giving very detailed answers. I appreciate your help, and will come back to tell you guys my results. :)

AshyCFC and jessterman21, I would have liked to pick your answers as the best solultion too. But as jessterman21 had stated, cst1992 was the first reply, so I went with that. Once again, thank you. :)