Solved

What PSU should I get ?????

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($269.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($78.48 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($90.17 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($158.23 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($499.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1606.82
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-08 12:56 EST-0500)

What PSU would you recommend that is good for OC and will be enough power for my system but not system overkill? Also I would like it to be FULLY modular and HASWELL compatible. (Seasonic preferred) And is the PSU I have already good enough ? Thank You!!!
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about psu
  1. Best answer
    Anthonyx978 said:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($269.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($78.48 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($90.17 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($158.23 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($499.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $1606.82
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-08 12:56 EST-0500)

    What PSU would you recommend that is good for OC and will be enough power for my system but not system overkill? Also I would like it to be FULLY modular and HASWELL compatible. (Seasonic preferred) And is the PSU I have already good enough ? Thank You!!!


    Hi - The PSU you have already selected is more than enough for your system. If you are planning on SLI with 2 780's in the future, stay with it. If you are going to stay with one gtx780 then consider:

    http://pcpartpicker.com/mr/amazon/seasonic-power-supply-ss650am

    or the best value I see out there right now:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/mr/newegg/seasonic-power-supply-ssr750rm
  2. For a system using a single GeForce GTX 780 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 600 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 42 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors. The ASUS GTX 780 DirectCU II OC 3 GB [GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5] draws less power than the NVIDIA Reference Design card so a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 35 Amps or greater is more appropriate.

    For a system using two GeForce GTX 780 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 850 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 65 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin and two 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors. The ASUS GTX 780 DirectCU II OC 3 GB [GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5] draws less power than the NVIDIA Reference Design card so a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 55 Amps or greater is more appropriate.

    Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most critical factor.

    Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) may require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

    XFX ProSeries 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (P1-850B-BEFX)
    • OEM: Seasonic
    • maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 70 Amps
    • four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors
    • Haswell Compatible: Yes
    • 80 PLUS GOLD Efficiency Certification
    • 5 Year Limited Warranty
  3. toyftw said:
    Anthonyx978 said:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($269.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($78.48 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($90.17 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($158.23 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($499.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $1606.82
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-08 12:56 EST-0500)

    What PSU would you recommend that is good for OC and will be enough power for my system but not system overkill? Also I would like it to be FULLY modular and HASWELL compatible. (Seasonic preferred) And is the PSU I have already good enough ? Thank You!!!


    Hi - The PSU you have already selected is more than enough for your system. If you are planning on SLI with 2 780's in the future, stay with it. If you are going to stay with one gtx780 then consider:

    http://pcpartpicker.com/mr/amazon/seasonic-power-supply-ss650am

    or the best value I see out there right now:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/mr/newegg/seasonic-power-supply-ssr750rm



    I plan to stick with one GPU so I might look into the first power supply. Thanks
  4. ko888 said:
    For a system using a single GeForce GTX 780 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 600 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 42 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors. The ASUS GTX 780 DirectCU II OC 3 GB [GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5] draws less power than the NVIDIA Reference Design card so a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 35 Amps or greater is more appropriate.

    For a system using two GeForce GTX 780 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 850 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 65 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin and two 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors. The ASUS GTX 780 DirectCU II OC 3 GB [GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5] draws less power than the NVIDIA Reference Design card so a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 55 Amps or greater is more appropriate.

    Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most critical factor.

    Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) may require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

    XFX ProSeries 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (P1-850B-BEFX)
    • OEM: Seasonic
    • maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 70 Amps
    • four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors
    • Haswell Compatible: Yes
    • 80 PLUS GOLD Efficiency Certification
    • 5 Year Limited Warranty


    I didnt quite understand what you were saying so should I keep the 850w? Or go to 650w or 750w ? I won't be using SLI ever.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Modular Amazon Power Supplies Components