$130 budget for cpu/gpu = go with APU or something else ?

ungovernable

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 14, 2011
I have a maximum of $130 budget to get a CPU and a GPU for a mid-gaming PC.

For this price i could get the AMD A10-6790K Richland 4.0 GHz Quad-Core with the integrated Radeon HD 8670D

Could i get better performance by buying a CPU and a dedicated video card, separatly ?

pcgod234

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
I'd get a ASUS GTX 650 ti and an i5 it might go a bit ove your budget but is worth it for performance.......Considering that could play A3 pretty well, and yes a dedicated card+cpu would help. :)

ungovernable

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 14, 2011

I really can't go over $130

roymustang

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
For gaming you'd get better performance from something like a Pentium G3220 ($70) + a Sapphire R7 240 2GB ($60)

The 650 ti alone would be $130 and and the cheapest i5 is like $180 so no offense but that's not being helpful at all and neither is saying it's a "bit over your budget" when it's more than double.

roymustang

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

No the Athlon X2 even at 4.0 GHz is no where near as good as the Pentium G3220. The G3220 has the latest Haswell intel architecture and is about 30% more powerful on a core for core basis. If you really want an AMD CPU you can go with the Athlon X4 750K but it's $80, the 2 extra cores it has will help make up the difference with the G3220 but only in multithreaded applications/games that support 4 or more threads and only by 10% or so, so to me the Pentium is still way better. The Athlon X4 750K is pretty much the same as the A10 you were looking at but without the integrated graphics, so the same things apply and the integrated GPU on the A10 is much weaker than a R7 240.

Bottom line is that if I was building this for myself with and was forced to have a CPU+GPU for $130 I'd go G3220 + R7 240 without a doubt.

You have to take many factors into count here.. if your looking to go with the FM2 port (AMD A series APUS) then you must have good, fast ram to get the graphical and processing performance with a APU (APU's run mostly off system ram) I bought the A8 5600k apu with a GTX 750 dedicated gpu.. and I MUST say.. the APU lacks for processing in MANY factors of games..And if you dont have good ram, if you use the onboard graphics of the APU, it will lag your entire system. My rig works perfect 120 fps with COD Black Ops 2 on max.. but struggles with ghosts on normal/low settings and this is because of my APU (which A series APU's are all FM2 ports which is a dead end upgrade best you can get processing wise for a FM2 port is the A10 at the moment but I belive they are making some new FM2 processors soon).. so take into account all this before just splurging on the APU, yes it will be better than what you have, I thought the same way you are thinkin but its not a huge leap in performance. Honestly Id save a little longer and go with a 200-250$ budget because the A10 is about 120$ or so and a good dedicated vid card (say the one I got GTX 750) is also about 120$ ... if you go with the apu ONLY make sure you have good ram.. but I can almost bet that your not going to get what your looking for with that setup, I been there... done it.. and as I type, wishing Ida never got the APU, I actually NEED to upgrade my MOBO so I can get a dif port than FM2 becuase its dead end for upgrades only thing I can get is the A10 (I have the a8) but performance to price wise isnt even worth the upgrade

ungovernable

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 14, 2011
Ok well here is my situation :

I already have a $3000+ gaming PC, a $1500 gaming laptop and an A10 APU htpc that can also do mid-gaming.

I'm looking to build a 4th PC for mid-gaming with my friends (LAN Parties at home). I already have most of the spare hardware needed to build it, i just need to get a motherboard/CPU/GPU.

Since this is my 4th PC at home, i'm looking to spend as little as possible. The A10 on the HTPC already do a good job (for the price) but i can't play all games at highest video settings.

I found that the A10 APU is the best quality/price ratio for a $130 budget. The only reason i would buy something else is if i can get a CPU and dedicated video card for the same price. I'm not going to spend more on this.

As for the memory, i'm using GSKILL Ripjaws (1600) on the HTPC and planning to use the same thing on the new PC setup.