Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

I've just build a rig and my cpu has reached 90 degrees and in using water cooling.

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 9, 2014 3:36:47 PM

I've just built a pc with the following:

Core i7 4770k
Gskill jaws 16gb ram
Seagate 2tb hdd
250gb ssd samsung evo
Seidon 120xl
Z87n-wifi mobo.
Psu rm750 corsair

I've put it together and after turning it on the second time the cpu reached 90degrees unless I've not installed the water cooler correctly or have not applied thermal paste correctly,I can't see what else is wrong,any ideas would be much appreciated.
a c 98 à CPUs
March 9, 2014 3:44:01 PM

Try remounting your cooler.

should not run this hot at all.
m
0
l
a c 389 à CPUs
March 9, 2014 4:06:14 PM

How did you apply thermal paste?
m
0
l
March 9, 2014 4:13:09 PM

AshyCFC said:
Try remounting your cooler.

should not run this hot at all.


As take it off and re-secure it in place again?
m
0
l
a c 98 à CPUs
March 9, 2014 4:13:42 PM

Yes, sorry if you did not understand.
m
0
l
a c 389 à CPUs
March 9, 2014 4:14:46 PM

With new paste. Thin layer.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 9, 2014 5:10:23 PM

90c or f
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 6:09:16 AM

ewok93 said:
How did you apply thermal paste?


I installed the heatsink first then i changed my mind and added water cooling but i added a reasonable amount of paste along with the stuff from the heatsink which was still on the cpu. i have a feeling this may be causing the issue and with the seidon 120xl when installed properly shouldnt it be flashing a blue led light once the system is turned?
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 6:10:14 AM

ohyouknow said:
90c or f


90c and the water cooler was hotting up as well when just looking at the cpu usage. on startup screen
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 6:13:35 AM

i would also like to ask when the water cooler is installed should it be flashing with a blue led light once the system is turned on.
m
0
l
Anonymous
March 10, 2014 6:59:52 AM

Quote:
but i added a reasonable amount of paste

Maybe you put too much? You're supposed to apply a thin and even layer.
Remove the old paste and apply a pea-sized amount on the center of the CPU, then spread it using a credit card before putting back the cooler.
m
0
l
a c 98 à CPUs
March 10, 2014 8:37:57 AM

Using two types of paste together is odd.

Remove all the paste on now and use the pea method as posted above.

I wouldn't spread it with anything, ease the base of your cooler onto the CPU and then that should spread it.
m
0
l
March 11, 2014 5:37:55 AM

Anonymous said:
Quote:
but i added a reasonable amount of paste

Maybe you put too much? You're supposed to apply a thin and even layer.
Remove the old paste and apply a pea-sized amount on the center of the CPU, then spread it using a piece of glass before putting back the cooler.


should i be careful once removing the old paste? in terms of what i take it off with ie dry cloth etc

m
0
l
March 11, 2014 5:39:48 AM

AshyCFC said:
Using two types of paste together is odd.

Remove all the paste on now and use the pea method as posted above.

I wouldn't spread it with anything, ease the base of your cooler onto the CPU and then that should spread it.

ok thanks and one last thing when i turned my pc on the water cooler was hotting up as well as the core temperature of the cpu is this down to the thermal paste getting mixed or is it something wrong with the mounting of cooler on the mobo?
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 98 à CPUs
March 11, 2014 5:55:24 AM

It's just generally not a good idea to mix them, I think that's a problem because too much paste can be an insulator.
Share
March 12, 2014 5:30:56 AM

AshyCFC said:
It's just generally not a good idea to mix them, I think that's a problem because too much paste can be an insulator.


ok thanks. remove it with a dry material? as ive realized its obviously the most delicate component of the pc and when got wrong can be a disaster in terms of placing the cpu in the slot.
m
0
l
a c 98 à CPUs
March 12, 2014 6:27:26 AM

If you can get some rubbing alcohol or even a paste remover/primer kit that'd be good. Where are you from, I'll have a look.
m
0
l
March 12, 2014 9:40:47 AM

AshyCFC said:
If you can get some rubbing alcohol or even a paste remover/primer kit that'd be good. Where are you from, I'll have a look.


Cheltenham.any suggestions would be much appreciated
m
0
l
!