Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

R9 270x 4gig sapphire low frame rate help!

Tags:
  • Intel i5
  • DDR3
  • RAM
  • Windows 7
  • Sapphire
  • Graphics
  • FPS
  • Sharp
Last response: in Graphics Cards
March 9, 2014 6:03:32 PM

Ok my specs
I5 3.30
DDR3 Ram 12 gigs
R9 270x shaphire 4 gig card
14.2 beta driver
Windows 7 sp 1
Direct x11


I have completely reformatted the computer and reinstalled windows 7 sp 1, reinstalled.


Ok so I bought the card for elder scrolls online. I tested the card too see what kind of fps I would get on older games, I used swtor and rift as my pigs so too speak. Both game stable fps rate was 45 on max settings and this card should be able too due better consisting my 6950 could play swtor at 120 fps or better.

Can anyone help?!?

More about : 270x 4gig sapphire low frame rate

March 10, 2014 2:33:53 AM

do you have the latest drivers form amd site?
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 8:37:09 AM

Bad_Kitty13 said:
do you have the latest drivers form amd site?


Yup everything is up too date
m
0
l
Related resources
March 10, 2014 8:52:37 AM

try opening your task manager and seeing what your cpu usage is
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 10:03:22 AM

Bad_Kitty13 said:
try opening your task manager and seeing what your cpu usage is


It's between 25% 40%
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 10:56:52 AM

your good there, if you lower your setting does your fps go up or is it 45 fps on all settings? also alot of people are having issues due to the mantle drivers have you tried the driver cd that came with the card or go to amds site and roll back your drivers to a non mantle build. that may be the issue
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 11:00:45 AM

Also, what brand/model PSU??
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 5:18:40 PM

Bad_Kitty13 said:
your good there, if you lower your setting does your fps go up or is it 45 fps on all settings? also alot of people are having issues due to the mantle drivers have you tried the driver cd that came with the card or go to amds site and roll back your drivers to a non mantle build. that may be the issue


Well...I did use the one that came with the disk and it was the same as if I had the non beta driver, and yah the frame rate went up too 60 for swtor, for rift I put it on the games "ultra setting" and it went up too 93fps, before I had just turned all the sliders on max.

My real question is if I'm going too be able too play eso on max settings and no lag so much in pvp
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 5:23:25 PM

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_270X/23.html

this shows the framerates in WoW it should be comparable and i believe skyrim is cpu bound not gpu bound. do you have msi afterburner? im curious if your gpu is hitting 100% if not could you download then run a game with it in the background and monitor gpu usage
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 5:49:53 PM

Bad_Kitty13 said:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_270X/23.html

this shows the framerates in WoW it should be comparable and i believe skyrim is cpu bound not gpu bound. do you have msi afterburner? im curious if your gpu is hitting 100% if not could you download then run a game with it in the background and monitor gpu usage



No I don't, and tbh I really don't think they do, I ran, swtor and rift at the same time on max settings at the gpu only hit 80%. Also note I'm running two screens at the same time one game on one and anther on the other, one game had a lower fps then the other but that was before I re-adjusted the graphics on rift and turned off "bloom and conversations depth in swtor" which increased fps rates.
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 6:01:20 PM

just curious if it was maxing on any taxing games but did installing drivers from cd fix your issue, if so you can slowly start updating drivers. dont go to the newest it had a mantle update that is having bugs.
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 6:11:37 PM

I put the cd drivers on first but got low performance as a whole, the cd had 13.10 I updated too 13.12 seen no difference, then went too the 14.12 beta driver things started balancing it out some but not great amount
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 6:34:04 PM

go into your catalyst control center and turn forced msaa to off and it should double your fps.
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 8:42:22 PM

Embra said:
Also, what brand/model PSU??


r9 270x 4 gig oc ati
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 9:13:46 PM

ok so i looked at what i did too catalysis converter apparently i cant read, i had supper sampling on and on x24 which for the card too be able too get one game too 60 fps and the other too 40 fps under those conditions im impressed, both games are running right now at 50 fps on average both games are running at the same time in windowed mode on max "game system max settings". So i hate too ask anther question but! if i were too get a 7870 or even use my old 6950 and crossfire it would i get better performance as a whole or should i just overclock my cpu? and if crossfire is the way too go , what kinda of power supply should i put in it, right now i have a 700 watt power supply, the whole computer was crossfire ready out the box was one of the perks of the sale that was going on at the time i bought it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 10:41:57 PM

there are internet tales of 270x cfx with 7870 as they are just rebranded 7870. however if you are going to get another 7870 you might as well just get another 270x they cast about the same and the 270x has around a 5-10% performance boost....however i would not try this with your current psu.
i looked at its specs and it is rated to handle 50a on the 12v rail
this review says it consumes 207w in gaming
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-280x-r9-2...

414/12=34.5a cpu is 84w/12v= 7a and your mem/chipset tdp is no more than 6a this equals 47.5a which only leaves you an overhead of 2.5a i wouldnt reccommend it. you should look for a psu with around 58a (always like to go over considering capacitor aging and reliability of psu)
this psu is a tier 4-5 anyway and for 1 card would be fine considering your overhead but for 2 i wouldnt risk it
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 11:22:55 PM

Alexj1474 said:
ok so i looked at what i did too catalysis converter apparently i cant read

ROTFL

So is your performance okay? You could CF with another 270X or a 7870 but not a 6950
m
0
l
March 11, 2014 2:18:47 AM

Bad_Kitty13 said:
there are internet tales of 270x cfx with 7870 as they are just rebranded 7870. however if you are going to get another 7870 you might as well just get another 270x they cast about the same and the 270x has around a 5-10% performance boost....however i would not try this with your current psu.
i looked at its specs and it is rated to handle 50a on the 12v rail
this review says it consumes 207w in gaming
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-280x-r9-2...

414/12=34.5a cpu is 84w/12v= 7a and your mem/chipset tdp is no more than 6a this equals 47.5a which only leaves you an overhead of 2.5a i wouldnt reccommend it. you should look for a psu with around 58a (always like to go over considering capacitor aging and reliability of psu)
this psu is a tier 4-5 anyway and for 1 card would be fine considering your overhead but for 2 i wouldnt risk it


Alright, so either way over clocking the CPU too 4.0ghz would be. A better option then?
m
0
l
March 11, 2014 2:42:53 PM

yo get some more perfomance then that is a good way to get it, just have an aftermarket cooler i wouldnt try to overclock on a stock cooler
m
0
l
March 11, 2014 3:18:29 PM

Alexj1474 said:
Embra said:
Also, what brand/model PSU??


r9 270x 4 gig oc ati


Bad_Kitty13 said:
yo get some more perfomance then that is a good way to get it, just have an aftermarket cooler i wouldnt try to overclock on a stock cooler


o have liquid cooling on the cpu :)  but my cpu cant be oc'ed i looked it up
m
0
l
March 11, 2014 3:22:53 PM

you can overclock the gpu maybe i dont know what your mobo is though. if it has unlocked voltages you can try that
m
0
l
March 11, 2014 3:53:57 PM

Bad_Kitty13 said:
you can overclock the gpu maybe i dont know what your mobo is though. if it has unlocked voltages you can try that


i have a P8H67-M Pro

m
0
l
March 11, 2014 4:00:30 PM

it says it has overclock utilitys i know your cpu is locked but if the gu voltages are unlocked and you can adjust that and the clocks you should be good to go
m
0
l
March 11, 2014 4:28:03 PM

Bad_Kitty13 said:
it says it has overclock utilitys i know your cpu is locked but if the gu voltages are unlocked and you can adjust that and the clocks you should be good to go


what kind of utility should i use?
m
0
l
March 11, 2014 4:32:54 PM

if you are using a program to boost it try msi afterburner it also gives you some good info on the cards performance
m
0
l
March 11, 2014 4:51:48 PM

Bad_Kitty13 said:
if you are using a program to boost it try msi afterburner it also gives you some good info on the cards performance


but its not a msi card
m
0
l
March 11, 2014 4:57:23 PM

meh it doesnt matter i have used it for every brand of card you can think of. its universal
m
0
l
March 11, 2014 5:07:50 PM

Bad_Kitty13 said:
meh it doesnt matter i have used it for every brand of card you can think of. its universal


i got the asus update manger it says i need too update my bios which i know is risky, but which bios do i down load just the newest one?
m
0
l
March 11, 2014 5:09:02 PM

you can dl the newest one does that board have e-z flash?
m
0
l
March 11, 2014 5:13:36 PM

Bad_Kitty13 said:
you can dl the newest one does that board have e-z flash?


the asus updater just wants me too download the file, load it into the updater i have not done then that

i also saved my current bios
m
0
l
March 11, 2014 5:24:02 PM

Bad_Kitty13 said:
http://www.northernmicro.com/en/support/tech-library/M4...

this is a tutorial on how to do it with ez flash, just make sure you format the usb drive to a fat32 or it wont recognize your usb drive in the bios when you go to update


so you dont think i should use the updater they made for it?
m
0
l
March 11, 2014 5:38:18 PM

i looked at the latest bios utility on asus website that the board supports
if this is what your talking about
Bupdater Utility V1.30 for flash BIOS under DOS.
its a little more difficult here is a tutorial video on how to use if it is what you are talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vr4y8rUNXA
if it is a software that came with your board i dont know how to use it but updating bios can be tricky and i wouldnt want you to brick your board
m
0
l
March 11, 2014 5:47:20 PM

Bad_Kitty13 said:
i looked at the latest bios utility on asus website that the board supports
if this is what your talking about
Bupdater Utility V1.30 for flash BIOS under DOS.
its a little more difficult here is a tutorial video on how to use if it is what you are talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vr4y8rUNXA
if it is a software that came with your board i dont know how to use it but updating bios can be tricky and i wouldnt want you to brick your board


i just used the bios updater the most stressfull thing iv ever done with my computer it was done correctly i went from version 1000 to 39XX yaya! now too update the rest of this stuff lol! thank you! also the asus Ai suit 2 has a auto tune manger too auto tune over clock the cpu that you make it unstable got a 15% increase in performance from it yay me!
m
0
l
March 11, 2014 5:51:02 PM

nice glad it worked out for ya. i just do it the old fashioned way because im set in my ways lol. but thats awesome you got a performance boost hopefully it fixes your other issue as well. i seen the newest bios boosted the performance of the pcie lanes
m
0
l
March 11, 2014 5:52:53 PM

Bad_Kitty13 said:
nice glad it worked out for ya. i just do it the old fashioned way because im set in my ways lol. but thats awesome you got a performance boost hopefully it fixes your other issue as well. i seen the newest bios boosted the performance of the pcie lanes


my other question is that there are a bunch of other updates for this board should i download them assuming any of them work cuz the ones i have tried downloading haven't work lol
m
0
l
March 11, 2014 6:38:25 PM

it should have a pull down to select what os you have if it still dont work i would just keep trying to install what you can
m
0
l