fx 8320 wont overclock

Wes Hart

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
ok im having issues overclocking my fx 8320 when i do windows changes to the basic profile and my games skip really bad i have a gb gtx 770

superzaki

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
Hi...you have a good mobo-psu combo so that is not the issue , please give us more detail about your cpu overclock (cpuVCore, bus frequency and multiplier, RAM ...) so we could help you !
I have the same cpu-gpu as you and i pushed my 8320 to a stable 4.73GHz using an air cooler (hyper 212) all running on MSi fx990-gd65 mbo and a cooler master GXII 550 PSU.. best of luck ;)

Wes Hart

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014

I have g skill ripjaws 1866 ram and the cpu will overclock but it does something funny to the gpu if I do and im using amd overdrive auto clock

superzaki

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014

there absolutely no problem with you rig, so do not PANIC :D
i'll tell you a short story of mine, my PC was behaving on a very strange way, it was rebootin' once a while, i asked for help in the forums, some people told me that my 8320 is broken, f*ck i panicked, then it turned out that my memory was bad ! thats why you have to trust your CPU, it might appear small and fragile, but believe me.. IT's NOT !
before you overclock, please make sure your cpu is working fine at its stock speed (3.5GHz) to do so, you have to deactivate TurboCore feature AND DO NOT TOUCH ANY THING ELSE !
lunch some applications (windowed) and watch your CPU's activity via CPU-Z, if the frequency drops under 3.5GHz then that is your problem !
mine was behaving this way when i was under windows 7 home trial version, and when i switched to windows 7 prox64 the problem was gone !!
between me and you, there's no need to overclock at this moment, the CPU is more than enough to feed your GTX 770, its just the need of power witch pushes us to overclock :) ( my bech on metro last light is 43FPS at max settings@1920x1080 "SSAA= deactivated", and @4.8GHz my score was 46FPS at the same settings, funny that +1.2GHz pushed just 3FPS !!)
and talking about the GTX 770, witch one is it ? gigabyte,MSi, ASUS
play some games with it (if you have metro last light it would be perfect !), then report to us (using MSi afterburner software) the following data:
- GPU core clock (very important !)
- GPU core temp ( yet very important too !)
- GPU activity ( critical too :D )
-GPU memory clock (optional)
if you do not know how to do monitoring with msi afterburner, just google ( afterburner monitoring tuto) it should do..
BEST OF LUCK !!

Wes Hart

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014

can you explain the cpu test again

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
If CPU drops below 3.5 Ghz its because of powersaving is turned on in BIOS. When Overclocking it is recommended to turn all those off (except cool and quiet). Turn off APM, CI3, C6 and also the Turboboost mode. Once your OC'ed system is tested and stable, then you can try turn on powersaving again. Give the system a week. If it reboots randomly or locks up, its not stable.

It would help if you mentioned how you overclocked? What settings etc.
I wouldn't recommend AMD autoverclock for that. Doing it manually is always best (and safest).

superzaki

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
here you go brother :), you'll need these programs (all free):
1- CPU-Z
2-CPUID HWMonitor
3-MSI Afterburner (for GPU)
4- this is not a program but a disclaimer, i'll not be held responsible of any hardware issues and always remember don't ever touch anything you don't know about :) !!
LETS START THEN !
1-get to the BIOS, and go to the OC section (i have an MSi mobo so steps may differ somehow but the idea stays the same), let everything at its default value and only disable this (AMD Turbo Core Technology), then reboot you PC... this picture should give you an idea about what i'am talking (ignore my settings, i've already OC mine using MSi OC genie and do not recommend going this far with you mobo !!)

2- now, get to your desktop and lunch CPU-Z, watch these values carefully !

* CPU clock or speed should never go under 3.5GHz if it does, that is your issue !
* CPU core voltage should vary but just a little bit (10-40mV), if it doesn't stay kinda fix, the problem might be on the PSU/mobo
3-lunch CPUID HWMonitor and let it opened so we can watch for temps....

4-Now lunch any game windowed so you can watch every single program i already stated (i've lunched Crysis 3 @1280x720 windowed and maxed out)- working on FX8320@4.83GHz and GTX 770 lightning @1254MHz x3500MHz
*CPU-Z: CPU frequency should never drop (by much) under 3.5GHz !!
CPU core voltage should stay constant !!
Core multiplier should stay constant !!

*CPUID HWMonitor: CPU core temps should never exceeds 61° !!
GPU temps should never exceeds 90° !!
5- (optional) give us msi afterburner feedback and it should be just like this :

and remember we're always here to help (as long as we have time :))
-------------------------------
BEST OF LUCK ;)

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Hwmonitor + MSI AB, turn on OSD and choose to show voltage for Vcore, mem and NB. Show temps for Cpu core and package, NB and whatever else (ignore harddisk crap). Turn the OSD on with a shortcut button of your choosing, play games and monitor the OSD. Doesn't matter if your game is fullscreen or not, the OSD will be on. Theres two things I would primarily watch. NorthBridge temp and voltage and CPU temp and voltage. As long as those don't get out of hand within the first hour, you should be good...in that game. Other games might be more demanding so bare that in mind. If you get a blackscreen or comp reboots, you've reached a limit. Limit for what is unknown, you'll simply have to test more.

FYI, it has taken me a month to reach a stable 4.6 Ghz overclock on AMD FX-8350, aircooled.
Lots of variables, lots that can go wrong or limit the OC.