Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Which SSD is better?

Last response: in Storage
Share
March 10, 2014 8:11:51 AM

Hi,

Can anyone tell me which SSD is better, I dont have much money so only looking to spend around £30.
OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD (OCZSSD21VTX30G) SATA
Kingston SSDNow SMS200S3/30G (30GB) mSATA

In the description it says the Kingston SSD is "mSATA", What does this mean? Could you also tell me if the Kingston SSD is better, does my motherboard support mSATA. The motherboard I have is a Gigabyte 945GZM-S2.

Please tell me which SSD is better in performance! I am going to be using this SSD for installing windows 7 and apps. I already have a 160gb harddrive which I will store files on. I have no idea what the difference between "mSATA" and "SATA" is. Please explain that to me as well.

Motherboard: Gigabyte 945GZM-S2

Please also tell me if these SSD's are supported by my motherboard. I want to have 1 SSD and 1 160GB Harddrive in Raid.

More about : ssd

a b G Storage
a c 102 å Intel
a b $ Windows 7
March 10, 2014 8:13:50 AM

Your mobo doesn't support mSata SSD so only SATA-6gbp/s SSD's
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 8:19:51 AM

It is not recommended that you put a small SSD (i.e. 30GB) in RAID with a 160GB hard drive. You would lose the use of 130 GB on the hard drive. If you are doing Raid 0 or Raid 1, the resulting space available to you is twice the smallest drive.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
March 10, 2014 8:21:54 AM

msata is a small form factor designed for laptops usually only supports sata 3Gbit second more or less replaced buy the similar M.2 for sata 6gbit
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 8:24:19 AM

Ahmadjon said:
Your mobo doesn't support mSata SSD so only SATA-6gbp/s SSD's


So your saying I should pick the OCZ 30GB SSD? Is this supported by my motherboard: 945gzm-s2? Will my motherboard also run this SSD and a 160gb hard drive together?

one last question, Does OCZ 30GB SSD make a big performance in windows if I have only windows 7 and the apps installed to the SSD? Is it worth paying £25 for?

My current system specs are:

GPU: 8500gt going to upgrade to 9800gt tommorow
CPU: Intel core 2 duo 3.40GHZ
RAM: 3GB DDR2
MOTHERBOARD: 945GZM-S2
PSU: CiT 600Watt
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 8:28:33 AM

howardp6 said:
It is not recommended that you put a small SSD (i.e. 30GB) in RAID with a 160GB hard drive. You would lose the use of 130 GB on the hard drive. If you are doing Raid 0 or Raid 1, the resulting space available to you is twice the smallest drive.


I dont really understand what you are saying, What I want to do is keep my old 160gb harddrive as a storage harddrive. So all my downloaded files,photos,music etc will go into the 160gb harddrive and I want to keep the 30gb SSD for my windows and apps. This is so I can make a performance change in my system. Is there no way to get my 160gb as a Storage drive and the SSD for windows and apps only?

I didn't mean in Raid, I just mean both seperately so the 160gb is for storage and the ssd for windows and apps only.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
a c 102 å Intel
a b $ Windows 7
March 10, 2014 8:28:40 AM

Hassy said:
Ahmadjon said:
Your mobo doesn't support mSata SSD so only SATA-6gbp/s SSD's


So your saying I should pick the OCZ 30GB SSD? Is this supported by my motherboard: 945gzm-s2? Will my motherboard also run this SSD and a 160gb hard drive together?

one last question, Does OCZ 30GB SSD make a big performance in windows if I have only windows 7 and the apps installed to the SSD? Is it worth paying £25 for?

My current system specs are:

GPU: 8500gt going to upgrade to 9800gt tommorow
CPU: Intel core 2 duo 3.40GHZ
RAM: 3GB DDR2
MOTHERBOARD: 945GZM-S2
PSU: CiT 600Watt


You'll notice the difference in load times but don't expect to much from SSD running on SATA-3gbp/s (which your mobo has)
m
0
l
a b G Storage
a c 102 å Intel
a b $ Windows 7
March 10, 2014 8:30:46 AM

Hassy said:
howardp6 said:
It is not recommended that you put a small SSD (i.e. 30GB) in RAID with a 160GB hard drive. You would lose the use of 130 GB on the hard drive. If you are doing Raid 0 or Raid 1, the resulting space available to you is twice the smallest drive.


I dont really understand what you are saying, What I want to do is keep my old 160gb harddrive as a storage harddrive. So all my downloaded files,photos,music etc will go into the 160gb harddrive and I want to keep the 30gb SSD for my windows and apps. This is so I can make a performance change in my system. Is there no way to get my 160gb as a Storage drive and the SSD for windows and apps only?

I didn't mean in Raid, I just mean both seperately so the 160gb is for storage and the ssd for windows and apps only.


Yeah this is the best config SSD=OS, programs, HDD=just storage!
m
0
l
a b G Storage
March 10, 2014 8:31:25 AM

Hassy said:
Ahmadjon said:
Your mobo doesn't support mSata SSD so only SATA-6gbp/s SSD's


So your saying I should pick the OCZ 30GB SSD? Is this supported by my motherboard: 945gzm-s2? Will my motherboard also run this SSD and a 160gb hard drive together?

one last question, Does OCZ 30GB SSD make a big performance in windows if I have only windows 7 and the apps installed to the SSD? Is it worth paying £25 for?

My current system specs are:

GPU: 8500gt going to upgrade to 9800gt tommorow
CPU: Intel core 2 duo 3.40GHZ
RAM: 3GB DDR2
MOTHERBOARD: 945GZM-S2
PSU: CiT 600Watt


With a 30GB drive windows will be the only thing you can install there. will speed up boot time though. Those smaller SSD are designed for intel SRT (newer chipsets) which allows the SSD to act as a caching device for the HDD
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 8:33:16 AM

OP was not planning to use RAID. Get the vertex and a boot drive. You will have to be very careful to move as much off of it as possible. That is a VERY small drive.
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 10:14:06 AM

cheapo gamer said:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-Solid-State... @£39 or the 120gb version is £52 , a 30gb ssd will not hold much so dont bother and for the sake of £9 or £20 for more storage


Thank You for the link, I will try and invest in a bigger SSD. So this SSD will definately work with my motherboard: 945GZM-S2 and show big improvements in performance? Its the only reason I really want a SSD as I do not have money for other hardware changes yet.
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 10:17:23 AM

Aragorn said:
OP was not planning to use RAID. Get the vertex and a boot drive. You will have to be very careful to move as much off of it as possible. That is a VERY small drive.


"get a vertex and a boot drive" what do you mean by boot drive? I decided I will be purchasing either a 60GB model or a 120gb Model and not the 30GB model. If I purchase the 60GB model, will it be enough to install windows 7 and few apps e.g. Skype? Could you also tell me if the 60GB SSD will work while I have the 160GB harddrive connected as well for storage space?
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 10:20:03 AM

Ahmadjon said:
Hassy said:
howardp6 said:
It is not recommended that you put a small SSD (i.e. 30GB) in RAID with a 160GB hard drive. You would lose the use of 130 GB on the hard drive. If you are doing Raid 0 or Raid 1, the resulting space available to you is twice the smallest drive.


I dont really understand what you are saying, What I want to do is keep my old 160gb harddrive as a storage harddrive. So all my downloaded files,photos,music etc will go into the 160gb harddrive and I want to keep the 30gb SSD for my windows and apps. This is so I can make a performance change in my system. Is there no way to get my 160gb as a Storage drive and the SSD for windows and apps only?

I didn't mean in Raid, I just mean both seperately so the 160gb is for storage and the ssd for windows and apps only.


Yeah this is the best config SSD=OS, programs, HDD=just storage!


So using my motherboard: 945GZM-S2 it will not cause any problems with using my 160gb for storage and the 60gb for windows and apps. (Decided to buy a 60GB rather than a 30GB.)
m
0
l
a b G Storage
a c 102 å Intel
a b $ Windows 7
March 10, 2014 10:28:44 AM

Your mobo should work with SSD but i already mentioned about SATA-3gbp/s speeds and on SSD you should keep your OS and important apps and on your HDD keep your media files movies photos videos etc.
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 10:28:46 AM

you will definately see improvements in loading your OS and apps it is the biggest improvement over any upgrade , welcome to the ssd world :) 

oh yeah keep games on the hdd too
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 10:36:32 AM

Ahmadjon said:
Your mobo should work with SSD but i already mentioned about SATA-3gbp/s speeds and on SSD you should keep your OS and important apps and on your HDD keep your media files movies photos videos etc.


I found this SSD Intel 60 GB SATA SSD Solid State Drive High Performance 2.5 SSDSC2CT060A3K5 64GB

What do you think to it? Will it make improvements in performance? Best thing about it is, its only £33
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 10:36:56 AM

cheapo gamer said:
you will definately see improvements in loading your OS and apps it is the biggest improvement over any upgrade , welcome to the ssd world :) 

oh yeah keep games on the hdd too


I found this SSD Intel 60 GB SATA SSD Solid State Drive High Performance 2.5 SSDSC2CT060A3K5 64GB

What do you think to it? Will it make improvements in performance? Best thing about it is, its only £33
m
0
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
a c 102 å Intel
a b $ Windows 7
March 10, 2014 10:39:49 AM

Hassy said:
cheapo gamer said:
you will definately see improvements in loading your OS and apps it is the biggest improvement over any upgrade , welcome to the ssd world :) 

oh yeah keep games on the hdd too


I found this SSD Intel 60 GB SATA SSD Solid State Drive High Performance 2.5 SSDSC2CT060A3K5 64GB

What do you think to it? Will it make improvements in performance? Best thing about it is, its only £33


Yeah it's a decent SSD so you can use it in your PC!
Share
March 10, 2014 10:47:49 AM

i found 60 reviews on newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... , i beleive it will be just as good or better but because i dont own it i cant really comment , but intels 330 series are pretty good and if its cheaper go for it , just make sure it isnt second hand , they have limited writes and are good for years from new but if someone has used and abused it i wouldnt bother, any ssd will have you booting windows and apps fully alot quicker than any hdd can
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 11:31:40 AM

cheapo gamer said:
i found 60 reviews on newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... , i beleive it will be just as good or better but because i dont own it i cant really comment , but intels 330 series are pretty good and if its cheaper go for it , just make sure it isnt second hand , they have limited writes and are good for years from new but if someone has used and abused it i wouldnt bother, any ssd will have you booting windows and apps fully alot quicker than any hdd can


Thanks for that, I realised the £33 didnt include the tax charges as it was from USA, when adding those it makes a total of £46 which I cannot afford. However I will go for this SSD KINGSTON SSD Now v100+ 64GB SSD .. The SSD is Refurbished and has more than 5 sold. It only costs £32.50
Opinions on the SSD KINGSTON SSD Now v100+ 64GB SSD?
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 1:00:23 PM

v100+ i wouldnt bother , spend the £39 on the kingston v300 64gb drive it has free p+p and it's brand new and will last longer
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 3:32:43 PM

cheapo gamer said:
v100+ i wouldnt bother , spend the £39 on the kingston v300 64gb drive it has free p+p and it's brand new and will last longer


Its too late now, i already purchased the v100+. I saw youtube videos etc and the SSD does perform really fast on there too. What is your reason to saying dont bother?
m
0
l
March 10, 2014 6:44:44 PM

im just never one for refurbished storage hardware and for the sake of £6 vs brand new with warranty
m
0
l
!