i7-960 Temps with H100i

Calvin3200

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
I recently upgraded my CPU cooler to a H100i, and i'm not sure if I should be disappointed or not.

My setup:
i7-960 - not overclocked
18gb ram
2 GTX-480s in SLI
NZXT Phantom Case
New H100i

My idle is about 33*-36* and goes up to 38-42* while gaming. I ran prime95 for about 20-30 minutes and it went up to 51* (then immediately down to 35* when I stopped it).

Are these temps ok? Should they be lower? When I do overclock (rarely), I typically see a 10* increase, what temp is too high for this processor.

Also, I'm not seeing any temp difference in the CPU when I increase the H100i's fan speeds.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

There can only be so much difference between the ambient temperature (room temp) and the CPU's temperature, no normal consumer grade cooler can ever achieve anything close to ambient temperature. Those coolers are run by water and air, which are just scientifically unable to go lower than ambient.

The temperatures are perfectly fine and normal with H100i.

The CPU should never run anything higher than 85 - 90 C in any situation.

Same concept goes to fan speed and temp difference, cracking up the speed still can't reach ambient in any situation, so you should only be able to notice the difference when cracking up fan under load.

Powerbolt

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
Wish I only hit 51c when running Prime95. I almost crack 80-85c!

Temps are perfectly fine no matter how you slice it. Even then 60c is fantastic for an overclocked processor. You should start worrying when you break ~85c. That's when it's starting to get a little hot, but I'd say you don't have anything to worry about with those temps.

Eggz

Distinguished
Motherboard temperatures are in the motherboard manuals. Just stay within the operating temperature, but you're likely 100% fine with CPU temperatures like that. Generally speaking, the materials in computer parts are fine below 85c. If you have a small-ish case with not many fans taking in air, turn the fans in on your H100i to run as intakes. I personally like to run all-in-one coolers as intakes all of the time, and certain manufacturers even recommend it in (e.g. H80i). It blows cool air from outside over the radiator, rather than hot air from inside the case, and it also brings cool air into the case, which more efficiently cools than blowing hot air out.