I just replaced a 100Mbs cheap switch (REPOTEC RP-1705K) with ASUS GX-D1081 Gigabit Switch.
While before I was getting around 11.3MB/s transfer speed between my laptop and the server (it used almost the maximum band of 100Mbs) now I'm getting 1.6MBs!
Can anyone tell me why is the Gigabit switch actually slower than the 100Mbs?
From what I read in the forum, the gigabit switch should have been at least as fast as the 100mbs switch
Check the status LED's on the switch and make sure all devices are connected at gigabit speeds. If you aren't connected at gigabit speeds, you may need to change the ethernet cabling. Gigabit cabling requires all 4 pair of wires to be properly connected.
You need to verify that both the laptop and server are connected at gigabit speeds. I checked the switch manual and it's odd that it doesn't have colored LED's to show connection speed. Also, remember that gigbit speeds are faster than a hard drive can write data so although you should get improved speed over 100 Mbit, you still won't come close to the maximum speed of the ethernet when copying files.
The server is a PowerEdge 2950 III with RAID10 on the partition shared with the network and I find it hard to believe to not cope with the data flow.
Also in my initial message I'm saying that the speed of 1.6MBs is the maximum I get for the gigabit switch (while with he old one I was getting 11.3MBs)
Also the server's eth0 supports gigabit as per command ethtool eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: No
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: No
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Port: Twisted Pair
Supports Wake-on: g
Link detected: yes
Also, since this is one of the power saving switches, I've seen some of these lower end switches not provide enough power for the length of the cable being used. Try testing with a different cable or a shorter cable if possible.