Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is 80 (or 90 fps) much better than 60 fps when gaming?

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Monitors
  • FPS
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 11, 2014 7:02:40 AM

I'm trying to settle on a monitor for a triple screen setup high end gaming pc.

I'll be playing racing sims mostly.

Ideally, I'd buy three 120Hz (or 144Hz) monitors. But that's quite pricey.

I'm wondering: is it noticeably better when you're getting, like, 80 or 90 fps in comparison to 60 fps?

I've played at 60 fps a lot (and really, really don't like a slower framerate). But I've never experienced higher than 60 so I'm not sure paying a lot more for the 120Hz/144Hz monitors is going to be worth it.

More about : fps fps gaming

a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2014 7:08:09 AM

It depends, you probably won't notice while playing between 80 and 90 frames, and 60FPS is pretty smooth. Personally I woudl wait until you can get a G-Sync monitor and card setup if smoothness is your primary concern. 80FPS on a 144hz screen will either have screen tearing if you turn v-sync off or stutter if you turn v-sync on. It would be nice if you could limit your frame rate to exactly half of your refresh rate and have 144hz screens with 72FPS with no tearing or stutter... but G-Sync solves all of those problems anyway.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2014 7:12:01 AM

If your monitor has the higher refresh rate like you are wanting then yes you can tell a difference. Some people will argue that you can't but if you have an eye for that kind of thing it's noticeable. I think the nicest thing about being able to run in the 90 fps range with a high refresh rate monitor is that you do not have to turn vsync on and when your fps dips it still tends to stay above 60 fps.

m
0
l
Related resources
March 11, 2014 7:12:23 AM

I think you can't see the difference between the 60 to 80/90.The human eye cannot descern more then approx~76 frames a second...

The only advantage would be highly noticed while watching sports... or things like that. 120Hz tvs are common for sports because it provides a smoother appearence, but as i said before, the human eye really cant see more then 76~ FPS. also, if you are gaming, and using a computer, 120 is overkill.. just lock in V-Sync, and save your GPU the work. (longer lastsing GPU and coolertemps overall in your case. if you are using a console... they barely get 60FPS in most games, trying to pull 120 out of it would be unreasonable of the system.

m
0
l
March 11, 2014 7:14:19 AM

Traciatim said:
It depends, you probably won't notice while playing between 80 and 90 frames, and 60FPS is pretty smooth. Personally I woudl wait until you can get a G-Sync monitor and card setup if smoothness is your primary concern. 80FPS on a 144hz screen will either have screen tearing if you turn v-sync off or stutter if you turn v-sync on. It would be nice if you could limit your frame rate to exactly half of your refresh rate and have 144hz screens with 72FPS with no tearing or stutter... but G-Sync solves all of those problems anyway.

Thanks for your reply.
The thing is: isn't a G-sync monitor going to cost a lot — just as much as a 144Hz/120Hz monitor?

m
0
l
March 11, 2014 7:22:17 AM

Just buy a 60 HZ 2nd hand monitor for now and wait for G-Sync to get cheaper(it will believe me)
m
0
l
March 11, 2014 7:23:10 AM

burdenbound said:
If your monitor has the higher refresh rate like you are wanting then yes you can tell a difference. Some people will argue that you can't but if you have an eye for that kind of thing it's noticeable. I think the nicest thing about being able to run in the 90 fps range with a high refresh rate monitor is that you do not have to turn vsync on and when your fps dips it still tends to stay above 60 fps.


Thanks for your reply.
Have you played at 80 or 90 fps? If so, is it noticeable?

m
0
l
March 11, 2014 7:24:04 AM

Kingpin007 said:
Just buy a 60 HZ 2nd hand monitor for now and wait for G-Sync to get cheaper(it will believe me)

Not a bad idea. But I want three. I'm going for a triple-monitor setup.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2014 7:31:15 AM

Billy Pilgrim said:
burdenbound said:
If your monitor has the higher refresh rate like you are wanting then yes you can tell a difference. Some people will argue that you can't but if you have an eye for that kind of thing it's noticeable. I think the nicest thing about being able to run in the 90 fps range with a high refresh rate monitor is that you do not have to turn vsync on and when your fps dips it still tends to stay above 60 fps.


Thanks for your reply.
Have you played at 80 or 90 fps? If so, is it noticeable?



Yes, I currently have the korean Qnix 1440p display over clocked to 96Hz. I only have one 7970 so most of the time I game in the 50-60 fps range but on games which I can get up to 80-90 I do notice the smoothness. I have a second monitor hooked up as well that runs at 60fps and moving programs between the two you can see the choppiness in the 60Hz monitor.

Just keep in mind that triple screen gaming at that high of a refresh rate is going to require some serious graphics power on top of the already expensive monitors. So if your not ready to drop some serious money you might want to stay with 60Hz monitors, I don't think the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz is crazy enough to warrant the money but it is nice.
Share
!