Just went from a 4890 to an R7 265 and seeing almost no performance improvement...

crazekid362

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I have an i7920@4ghz which runs anywhere from 20% to 60% usage. My 4890 typically always ran at 99% usage. I figured it's because that thing is a damn dinosaur so it's to be expected. Well I just installed my 265, latest drivers and I'm still getting 99% usage. My in-game graphical settings are the same and I'm getting about the same frame rates I was getting before on my 4890. What gives? I assumed I'd be getting almost a 100% performance increase. Is 3dMark 11 a good program to run to test the performance of my card to make sure it's working properly? Thanks.

Solution
Try completely removing the AMD drivers and then doing a clean reinstallation of your graphics drivers. Sometimes when you just stick in a new card and install the new driver over the old one you run into issues with leftover files from the previous versions screwing things up, and possibly confusing the new card for the old card.
Try completely removing the AMD drivers and then doing a clean reinstallation of your graphics drivers. Sometimes when you just stick in a new card and install the new driver over the old one you run into issues with leftover files from the previous versions screwing things up, and possibly confusing the new card for the old card.

Solution