Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

2 Asus GTX 660 Ti’s in SLI v 1 GTX 780 Ti

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 12, 2014 3:57:35 AM

Hi all, A bit of a dilemma, I have 2 x 2GB Asus GTX 660 Ti’s in SLI and was thinking of upgrading to 1 x 3GB GTX 780 Ti, I could probably break even with the sale on eBay but to be honest I’m more concerned about the quality of performance than the cost.. Saying that I can’t afford a Titan Black.
Any advice please.
Spec-Windows 8.1 pro, 16 GB ram, Intel i7 4930K, AsRock Extreme 4 Motherboard.
March 12, 2014 4:34:01 AM

You will not get £250 each for 660 ti's. A 780ti will be much better than 2 660's though.
m
0
l
March 12, 2014 5:29:01 AM

I love this question. I really doubt you will break even (though you may be able to get semi-close). That being said I believe (and yes this is theory crafting I couldn't find any charts on this one) that he 780 will perform a bit stronger then then 660ti's. It adds extra benefit though even though it may get "similar performance". One less card will mean less power draw and much less heat in the case, not to mention the ability to add another 780 in the future (the far future, you won't need one any time soon).

Ultimately I believe that this will be a worthwhile upgrade as ong as YOU can justify the cost. Chances are you are already maxing most games with the 660ti's, so the immediate benefits may not be that apparent to you. That being said if you can sell those 660ti's at decent prices, and maybe get the 780 for a decent little discount, I would say its a tough deal to pass up. But if you are not a super future thinker, keep your 660ti's my friend.

Best of luck with your decision, and thank you for the fun question to mull over.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 12, 2014 5:35:25 AM

The 780ti is a beastly card. 1 strong card is always better first solution than 2 cards in sli.
m
0
l
March 12, 2014 6:22:56 AM

Hmmm Yes I'm dreaming there, may get £150 each, thanks, you guys made my mind up, which one? there's so many and all 3GB, quite fancy the Gigabyte GTX 780Ti Windforce??? but does it matter! should I just get the cheapest? £100 ish difference, thanks again.
m
0
l

Best solution

March 12, 2014 6:42:03 AM

I was just in a similar situation, but it started with a pair of GTX 770s. I could only fit one in my case, so I sold both. At first, I expected to break even, but I fell about $100 short. Meh! That means the 780 ti only cost me an extra $100. Pretty good if you ask me. I sold a Gigabyte Windforce 770 for $300 and an EVGA with a reference cooler for $329. My EVGA Superclocked with a reference cooler cost $729.

Also, after researching it, the 780 ti puts up performance numbers on par with a par of 770s in SLI. It's just a beast of a card. From that, an obvious inference is that the 780 ti will be significantly faster than a pair of 660 ti cards. That's also under ideal circumstances, when SLI is being fully utilized. For other applications and games that don't make full use (or any use) of SLI, the 780 ti will obviously come out far ahead of the game. You'll be set for years with this card, and once you're not, you can either upgrade or put it in an SLI configuration.

There'll be more support for SLI in the coming years, though it'll likely forever remain an exotic solution without universal support. The good new is that any high-end card that has once claimed title as the fastest GPU on the planet will retain its resale value fairly well. Just look up the GTX 295, the 480, the 680, and the Titan on eBay. Buying into top-end has several benefits.
Share
March 12, 2014 12:41:52 PM

Eggz said:
I was just in a similar situation, but it started with a pair of GTX 770s. I could only fit one in my case, so I sold both. At first, I expected to break even, but I fell about $100 short. Meh! That means the 780 ti only cost me an extra $100. Pretty good if you ask me. I sold a Gigabyte Windforce 770 for $300 and an EVGA with a reference cooler for $329. My EVGA Superclocked with a reference cooler cost $729.

Also, after researching it, the 780 ti puts up performance numbers on par with a par of 770s in SLI. It's just a beast of a card. From that, an obvious inference is that the 780 ti will be significantly faster than a pair of 660 ti cards. That's also under ideal circumstances, when SLI is being fully utilized. For other applications and games that don't make full use (or any use) of SLI, the 780 ti will obviously come out far ahead of the game. You'll be set for years with this card, and once your not, you can either upgrade or put it in an SLI configuration.

There'll be more support for SLI in the coming years, though it'll likely forever remain an exotic solution without universal support. The good new is that any high-end card that has once claimed title as the fastest GPU on the planet will retain its resale value fairly well. Just look up the GTX 295, the 480, the 680, and the Titan on eBay. Buying into top-end several benefits.


Thanks eggz, just got an EVGA Superclocked for £539 and my 660's are on eBay, thanks pal.
m
0
l
March 12, 2014 12:48:43 PM

Glad to help! Do you play any games with PhysX? I do and am considering a dedicated PhysX card to pair with my 780 ti, which just arrived in the mail! Can't wait to install it after work tonight!!!

Anyway, contrary to popular opinion on fora, a dedicated PhysX card can make a big different for games using PhysX. If you're in that category, you might consider keeping one of your cards for that purpose. I won't go into the details because Volnaiskra has already done that. What did he find? A single GTX 650 does a better job at PhysX than even 2 Titans! Amazing! Check it out before you sell.

Volnaiskra's article -- How much difference does a dedicated PhysX card make?

m
0
l
March 12, 2014 1:02:52 PM

Eggz said:
Glad to help! Do you play any games with PhysX? I do and am considering a dedicated PhysX card to pair with my 780 ti, which just arrived in the mail! Can't wait to install it after work tonight!!!

Anyway, contrary to popular opinion on fora, a dedicated PhysX card can make a big different for games using PhysX. If you're in that category, you might consider keeping one of your cards for that purpose. I won't go into the details because Volnaiskra has already done that. What did he find? A single GTX 650 does a better job at PhysX than even 2 Titans! Amazing! Check it out before you sell.

Volnaiskra's article -- How much difference does a dedicated PhysX card make?



Hi, that looks great, I will seriously look into that, thanks again eggz
m
0
l
March 12, 2014 1:06:39 PM

I tried pairing my gtx 560ti classified with my 780ti classified and it seemed the 560ti slowed down my 780ti. I never saw the usage go up though on my 560ti it just basically stayed at idle even with it being set in nvidia control panel to be the dedicated physX card. I was confused.
m
0
l
March 12, 2014 1:09:56 PM

That's what I heard what would happen, the lower speed GPU wins!!!
I'll get my 780 ti up and running and look into it!!
m
0
l
March 12, 2014 1:12:39 PM

Ha, Azzazel_99, you got caught not doing your reading. Open the link, man. It's a great read. The 560ti was too slow. You won't see an improvement unless you pair correctly. The 660, on the other hand, will pair nicely with the 780 ti.
m
0
l
March 12, 2014 1:14:51 PM

Well if the other card is just a physx card and not actually trying to draw whwt the main active gpu is I dont see why. If I was trying to pair it with a 460 or 260 or something sure but my 560ti classified runs bf4 on high at 55+ fps when overclocked. What I didnt understand is the 560ti never came out of idle. I woukd have thought physx would push it to come out of idle.
m
0
l
March 12, 2014 1:16:36 PM

My 560ti wasnt a standard 560. Its 448 cuda cores and when overclocked it ran bf4 with no problems at all. Question is why did the gpu never come out of idle clocks? My 560ti was a good bit faster than a standard 560ti.
m
0
l
March 12, 2014 1:31:51 PM

I would just think if a 560ti classified do do the entire job that a 780ti is doing in bf4 and still hold 55+ fps then it should have NO issues handling just the physX.
m
0
l
March 12, 2014 1:33:05 PM

azzazel_99 said:
[My q]uestion is why did the gpu never come out of idle clocks?

The PhysX drivers are really finiky for some reason. When I've had strange performance issues related to PhysX, the only solution I found was a manual removal and reinstall. PhysX lists in Windows uninstaller as its own program. Remove that and everything else Nvidia one-by-one. You'll likely have to restart your computer several times during the process. If you want to play things safe, delete the local game cash files and reinstall your games. Then install driver fresh from Nvidia Experience, and finally replace your games. Before running a game, set everything up in Nvidia control panel. That fixed everything for me. The downside was that it took about 2 hours :-/
m
0
l
March 12, 2014 1:51:11 PM

This was during synthetic benchmarks like heaven and valley and bf4.
m
0
l
March 12, 2014 7:02:24 PM

azzazel_99 said:
This was during synthetic benchmarks like heaven and valley and bf4.

Oh, do those programs even use PhysX? It won't make any difference at all in non-PhysX programs. Try Batman Arkham Origins and Borderlands 2.
m
0
l
March 12, 2014 7:09:48 PM

I believe bf4 does.
m
0
l
March 15, 2014 12:56:31 PM

OMG.... new card is amazing, just being playing Titanfall, no breaks, no stutters and everything is just much clearer, thanks Guys!!
m
0
l
March 15, 2014 1:12:42 PM

Which one did you pick up again? I wanna get titanfall but im not diggin the 48gb uncompressed audio to download.
m
0
l
March 16, 2014 8:29:11 AM

Sweet! Congrats on the new card. Nothing like a fresh upgrade :D 
m
0
l
!