GT 640 upgrade

limtenggen

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
i got a crappy psu and a GT 640(OEM) that uses 50watt (http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-640-oem/specifications) the first row one . however i can overlock it for more 79Mhz base clock and 205Mhz for memory clock in a stable condition. Can i upgrade my GT 640 to a zotac GTX 750 ti (http://www.zotac.com/products/graphics-cards/geforce-700-series/gtx-750-ti/product/gtx-750-ti/detail/geforce-gtx-750-ti.html) that use only 60 watt WITHOUT ANY overlocking ?

Solution
The good news is that the GTX 750 Ti won't be bottlenecked by your other components. The bad news is that your PSU is, at best, barely adequate for that GPU.

The stock GTX 750 Ti requires a 300W PSU, which you obviously have. The concern is that it's the bare minimum requirement. The bigger concern is that the PSU has two +12V rails which don't deliver much ampere. The GPU may still work, but be prepared to buy a new PSU if it doesn't.

What PSU do you have, is it an OEM model or from some unknown brand? The first things we'd need to know are how many +12V rails it has, how much ampere is on each rail and what the total wattage is. All this should be printed on the PSU.

We'd also need to know the rest of your computer spec so we can establish if the GTX 750ti is likely to be bottlenecked by any other components.

limtenggen

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
Intel Core i7 processor 3770
nVidia GeForce GT640 4GB OEM
1TB Hard Drive
8GB DDR3 memory
DVD-Super Multi drive
Card Reader

2 fans , one for the cpu and other one is for computer case

i have a Liteon PS-6301-08A 300watt PSu and on the sticker it write

DC OUTPUT :+5v --/20A MAX
:+5v(SB) --/2A MAX
:-12v--/0.5A MAX
:+3.3v--20A MAX
:+12V1--10A MAX
:+12v2--13A MAX

1)Combined Power on +3.3v and +5v rails Not exceed 130w.
2)Combined Power on +12v1 and +12v2 SHALL not exceed 20A
3)At Ambient 25 Celsius total output power shall not exceed 300w
4)At Ambient 50 Celsius total output power shall not exceed 270w

The good news is that the GTX 750 Ti won't be bottlenecked by your other components. The bad news is that your PSU is, at best, barely adequate for that GPU.

The stock GTX 750 Ti requires a 300W PSU, which you obviously have. The concern is that it's the bare minimum requirement. The bigger concern is that the PSU has two +12V rails which don't deliver much ampere. The GPU may still work, but be prepared to buy a new PSU if it doesn't.

Solution
Well, not knowing where you are in the world it's difficult to be precise, but here are my general guidelines.

1. Go for a recognisable brand; Corsair, Cooler Master, etc.
2. Go for a PSU with a single +12V rail.
3. Go for a PSU with an 80+ Bronze rating or higher.
4. Don't buy a cheap PSU.

Most PSUs are a standard ATX size, so you shouldn't have any trouble fitting it.

A lot of cheap PSUs quote high wattages that don't deliver what they promise. A simple way to calculate wattage is to do the formula ampere x voltage = wattage. For example, my PSU has a single +12V rail with 62A, so the calculation is 62 x 12 = 744W. Nearly every component in your rig draws power from the +12V rail so that's what you should concentrate on.

Cheap PSUs that quote high wattages get it from totalling every rail; +5V, -5V, +12V, -12V etc. Anything besides the +12V rail isn't really worth thinking about.