Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is my current audio set up overkill for gaming and can I thus free up some cash??

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Sennheiser
  • Headsets
  • Peripherals
  • Asus
  • Audio
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
March 12, 2014 12:58:12 PM

Hi,

I'm looking to free up some cash to buy a laptop and have a very nice rig that I primarily use for gaming. I feel that I splurged on audio equipment in the past and that its overkill today for my purposes. I only use the headphones when I'm playing games like Skyrim or Call of Duty (where I use a zalman mic). Also I will likely need a closed style headphone and not an open style since I'll have a roommate. I dont listen to music on my headphones, I may watch a movie from time to time with them in the future but don't require exceptional quality

Current setup:
sennheiser 650 hd
asus essence stx
razer mako speakers
asus z87-ws lga1150 motherboard

Future setup:
I'd like to cut the wires and get a wireless headset like the logitech G930

I'd like the headset to have a built in mic

I'd like it to be closed style (sound is isolated so others in the room can't hear noise)

If i can sell the asus essence stx too without losing much sound quality from the razer mako (rca inputs) then I'd like to do that too.

Questions:
1) would I lose a noticeable amount of sound quality for gaming on the sennheiser HD 650 vs a wireless gaming headset like the G930? Or would it be negligible

2a) if i did sell the HD650, i feel like the asus essence stx would be a waste since I wouldn't be using it for its headphone amp - that said, do you agree and if so, whats an alternative sound card I can use for the Mako's RCA red/white inputs?
2b) could i just use a female red/white rca to 3.5mm headphone jack and plug the Mako into my motherboard with minimal sound quality loss?

Ultimately, I'm looking to maximize the cash I can get from selling overkill audio stuff while maintaining the current gaming audio quality I'm used to. Please let me know your recommendations.

Thanks!

More about : current audio set overkill gaming free cash

a b 4 Gaming
March 12, 2014 1:11:46 PM



The 650 is mmore music orientated, the 930 gaming using virtual 7.1 (there OK for music but not in 650's league) There alsso quite good for surround movies.

Depending on the game the 930 is above average, and yes you will notice the difference. The bass is a bit weak but can be increased to satisfactory level.
m
0
l
March 12, 2014 2:33:22 PM

Gee Bee said:


The 650 is mmore music orientated, the 930 gaming using virtual 7.1 (there OK for music but not in 650's league) There alsso quite good for surround movies.

Depending on the game the 930 is above average, and yes you will notice the difference. The bass is a bit weak but can be increased to satisfactory level.


Thanks for your reply, especially since you own a G930. Don't need the 650HD for music (rarely for movies too), just gaming - looks like you think I'll notice a difference in game. However, its replacement doesn't have to be the G930, what about other wireless headsets like the Astro A50? Also, can anyone else provide their advice regarding my other questions??
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
March 12, 2014 2:50:54 PM

There are others like Razor Megalodon, however i can only recommend G930 because that's all i have used in wireless sets and the price was right for me. There are better but you get what you pay for.

Hope that helps some
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 12, 2014 4:53:07 PM

you do realize that even if you have headphones on with a closed design that your roommate will hear you speaking into your mic right? while closed designs will reduce the sound people hear around you (since it cant escape) it does nothing about your own voice.

also realize that the soundstage on closed headphones is often much smaller than on open or semi open models.

also realize that you can use virtual surround software (such as the one razer has for free) with any stereo headphones.

also realize that they make detacheable mics like the antlion modmic (and its easy to mod a mic onto any headphones using any detatcheable style mics that are meant for headsets). that is, if you didnt like the clip ons.

the sound leakage from even open style headphones isnt really so bad that its going to bother anyone else in the room any more than you speaking at low tones unless of course you have the volume cranked really (painfully) loud.

--

if you could do without wireless i would say to keep the headphones you have now and just try out the razer virtual surround and/or a detatcheable mic if you hate the clip on.

while i dont use headphones/sets often (i have a hifi speaker system) when i do its always with my ath-m50s studio headphones which sound MUCH better than gaming headsets (in my opinion). they are a closed design so i suppose have a more limited soundstage but they sound great to me. soundstage in general isnt really a cut and dry thing (its pretty much all opinion with a few loose facts floating around)

sorry.. i cannot really recommend any particular wireless headsets as i do not use them. as gee bee said, logitechs arent going to be bad however they are far from top-end.

as for selling the soundcard... you could do that, however, i would try out your speakers with the onboard soundcard to find out if you get any distortion, crackling, buzzing or other issues first. before you think about selling it. also, i would only sell it if you intend to get a usb headset which has its soundcard or has its own dac-amp included. if not, it might be better to keep it.
Share
March 12, 2014 5:37:48 PM

ssddx said:
you do realize that even if you have headphones on with a closed design that your roommate will hear you speaking into your mic right? while closed designs will reduce the sound people hear around you (since it cant escape) it does nothing about your own voice.

also realize that the soundstage on closed headphones is often much smaller than on open or semi open models.

also realize that you can use virtual surround software (such as the one razer has for free) with any stereo headphones.

also realize that they make detacheable mics like the antlion modmic (and its easy to mod a mic onto any headphones using any detatcheable style mics that are meant for headsets). that is, if you didnt like the clip ons.

the sound leakage from even open style headphones isnt really so bad that its going to bother anyone else in the room any more than you speaking at low tones unless of course you have the volume cranked really (painfully) loud.

--

if you could do without wireless i would say to keep the headphones you have now and just try out the razer virtual surround and/or a detatcheable mic if you hate the clip on.

while i dont use headphones/sets often (i have a hifi speaker system) when i do its always with my ath-m50s studio headphones which sound MUCH better than gaming headsets (in my opinion). they are a closed design so i suppose have a more limited soundstage but they sound great to me. soundstage in general isnt really a cut and dry thing (its pretty much all opinion with a few loose facts floating around)

sorry.. i cannot really recommend any particular wireless headsets as i do not use them. as gee bee said, logitechs arent going to be bad however they are far from top-end.

as for selling the soundcard... you could do that, however, i would try out your speakers with the onboard soundcard to find out if you get any distortion, crackling, buzzing or other issues first. before you think about selling it. also, i would only sell it if you intend to get a usb headset which has its soundcard or has its own dac-amp included. if not, it might be better to keep it.


---
Thanks for the detailed response, you nailed some questions I had. Figured wired would still deliver better quality than wireless and sounds like you said just that. I don't like the clip on but never knew about the antlion - that seems legit and i can sleeve that and my 650HD wires together to reduce the cable mess.

Yeah by roommate I ment my gf, and only reason I was worried about open vs closed is I couldnt even play COD or COH with crap blowing up without her waking up and getting pissed (but thats bc i was in a studio). Were moving to a 1 bed room with a door between the bedroom and PC so sounds like problem solved. Ill keep my voice down dont worry :) 

Thanks again!
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 12, 2014 5:45:37 PM

this is what i meant about modding any headset detatcheable mic onto a headphone set
http://imgur.com/gallery/bKU4H/

generally... yes... wired headsets will be superior. of course if you absolutely must have wireless there are a few good sets out there (but they wont be as good as wired).

sleeving is good... look at the modding concept first though (probably cheaper than antlion and you can pick which mic you want! based on what mics have good reviews of course)

with a door inbetween you two i dont see a definite reason for closed headphones as long as you are not maxing them out.

of course if you did still have an issue you could always move to a closed pair of headphones at that point in time. i would think voice would still carry more than headphones.

no trouble. just giving my 2c
m
0
l
March 12, 2014 5:55:52 PM

ssddx said:
this is what i meant about modding any headset detatcheable mic onto a headphone set
http://imgur.com/gallery/bKU4H/

generally... yes... wired headsets will be superior. of course if you absolutely must have wireless there are a few good sets out there (but they wont be as good as wired).

sleeving is good... look at the modding concept first though (probably cheaper than antlion and you can pick which mic you want! based on what mics have good reviews of course)

with a door inbetween you two i dont see a definite reason for closed headphones as long as you are not maxing them out.

of course if you did still have an issue you could always move to a closed pair of headphones at that point in time. i would think voice would still carry more than headphones.

no trouble. just giving my 2c


nice - another thing thats good about the detachable mic is that you can mute quickly (i.e. unplug it). But yeah, will need to decide before I sleeve.

thanks !
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 12, 2014 9:22:07 PM

You can do that with headset, once your use to the side button placement, i can mute, change to stereo, hell i can even play the next song if i don't like the current one playing., and more. It took a while to get used but i can make a change in a second. Best of all i not tied to my desktop. I can walk and talk while get drink ,make a cuppa and go to the toilet (lol). I don't know about other wireless headsets but 930 is working on the other side of my house. It only cuts out once i go outside.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 12, 2014 9:26:42 PM

Side note, my household members don't mind my voice, , laughing, swearing or whatever. It's the gunfire, explosions, screaming and so forth they can't stand. So yeah headsets have their place.
m
0
l
March 19, 2014 7:35:05 AM

All good points. Thanks mate!
m
0
l
!