Solved

Will this PSU work for my set up?

Hey Tom's Hardware duders,

So I have a gaming PC that I tried to switch to a different case and in the process I fried my 800w PSU.. The only PSU my local shop had was a 500w coolermaster.. I wanted to play Titanfall so I said screw it, I'll buy it and completed my set up..

It has been working so far, but I want to know if I'm risking any damage to my computer or anything like that..

Here is my set up:
Motherboard - Asus P8P67 LE
GPU - EVGA 2GB GTX 660 SC
CPU - i5 2400
RAM - 8gb DDR 1333
Storage - 2 1tb HDDs, 1 128gb SSD
1 hyper 212 evo
2 120mm case fans
1 lg dvd/cd drive

let me know if I am forgetting anything...

thanks for the help!
23 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about psu work set
  1. Yes, the GTX 660 requires 450 watts.
  2. terry4536 said:
    Yes, the GTX 660 requires 450 watts.


    Ah ok. I did read that but I figured it meant I would need 450w dedicated just to the GPU, leaving 50 left over for everything else.. Am I interpreting that wrong or are GPUs just crazy power heavy compared to everything else?

    Thanks!
  3. Most CoolerMaster power supplies are very poor, I recommend you look for a more a reliable , quality option.
  4. Don't buy that Coolermaster , can I have the model of the CM supply.
  5. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Most CoolerMaster power supplies are very poor, I recommend you look for a more a reliable , quality option.


    ah crap. I bought it already. :'(

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171031

    does that make me urgently in need of a new psu?
  6. Yes, the GPU is usually the biggest power draw. Use a good PSU calculator and then add 100 watts to the result.

    http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
  7. Tier 4 - Not Recommend for stressful situations. May not be able to put out full rated power above room temperature, and may slightly fail to meet ATX specs.

    Aerocool
    Asus Atlas
    BFG 1000 watt
    Cooler Master eXtreme (only use 75% of labeled wattage)
    Cooler Master GX (except 450w)
    E-Power
    Futurepower
    Hale82n 650w
    Hiper Type-M
    HIPRO
    Masscool
    MGE XG
    Mushkin HP
    NorthQ 4775-500S/BU
    OCZ Modstream (if manufactured before December 2007)
    OCZ GameXStream <1000 watt (if manufactured before December 2007)
    OCZ StealthXStream (if manufactured before December 2007)
    OCZ GameXStream 1010 watt (essentially a 850watt power supply)
    Scythe Kamariki
    Sigma Shark
    Sintek
    TTGI/Superflower
    Ultra Xfinity
    Ultra X2 <less than 700 watt
    Ultra XVS
    Xion Real Power PowerReal
  8. Go Seasonic.
  9. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Tier 4 - Not Recommend for stressful situations. May not be able to put out full rated power above room temperature, and may slightly fail to meet ATX specs.

    Aerocool
    Asus Atlas
    BFG 1000 watt
    Cooler Master eXtreme (only use 75% of labeled wattage)
    Cooler Master GX (except 450w)
    E-Power
    Futurepower
    Hale82n 650w
    Hiper Type-M
    HIPRO
    Masscool
    MGE XG
    Mushkin HP
    NorthQ 4775-500S/BU
    OCZ Modstream (if manufactured before December 2007)
    OCZ GameXStream <1000 watt (if manufactured before December 2007)
    OCZ StealthXStream (if manufactured before December 2007)
    OCZ GameXStream 1010 watt (essentially a 850watt power supply)
    Scythe Kamariki
    Sigma Shark
    Sintek
    TTGI/Superflower
    Ultra Xfinity
    Ultra X2 <less than 700 watt
    Ultra XVS
    Xion Real Power PowerReal


    Uh oh.. So it has been working for me so far... Granted it has only been like 4 days.. with a few Titanfall marathon sessions. Does this mean it is pretty much a ticking time bomb to fizzle out? Am I damaging any other components by using this?

    Thanks!
  10. Upgrade as soon as possible to protect you other components.
  11. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Upgrade as soon as possible to protect you other components.


    What do you think of this as a replacement?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438014

    And is swapping PSUs very complicated? When I changed CPU fans I messed up the thermal paste and when I changed cases I fried my thermaltake 800w PSU.. I don't really want to break anything else. :P
  12. Don't go cheap on the PSU.
  13. Best answer
    Power supplies are easy to change , just be patient , take your time.

    More than enough POWER FOR YOUR SPECS and made by the best SEASONIC.


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $59.99
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-12 20:12 EDT-0400)
  14. terry4536 said:
    Don't go cheap on the PSU.


    I'm low on funds. :'(

    That EVGA one has pretty good reviews, not that I know if newegg reviews really mean anything or not and I do like EVGA as a company.. I had a faulty GPU and they replaced it immediately.
  15. Get the high quality one , I posted above.
  16. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Get the high quality one , I posted above.


    Kk. Is switching PSUs very complicated? I imagine it will screw in to my Fractal R4 case easily but I haven't actually messed with the power cords from the PSU to the motherboard/gpu/etc..

    Does that PSU come with all the cords I'd need to hook up all my junk?
  17. Yes , it will have everything you need , easy to do.
  18. Switching a PSU is basically four screws plus making the connections.
  19. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Yes , it will have everything you need , easy to do.


    Cool. Just ordered. thanks for the help all!
  20. We are glad to assist thanks for posting on the forum. :D
  21. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    We are glad to assist thanks for posting on the forum. :D


    This is directed towards Terry too, not sure how to multi-quote, sorry! But thanks for the help guys. Just got my power supply in and installed it and it is working great so far! My computer seems much quieter now.. Not sure if that was the PSU or some better cord management, but none the less I like my computer much more now. Thanks!
  22. You're welcome.
  23. Glad to assist you.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Power Supplies Tom's Hardware Components