Solved

Shut Down Problem

Windows 7
Intel i5 5470
Asus mobo P8Z77-V
RAM 4gb
PSU 450w
Gigabyte GTX650 ti Boost 2gb


I recently installed this new card and
when I run a game it shuts down the PC, which then reboots. Does the same on various games. When I install old Nvidia 9600GT no problem playing the same games. Nvidia CS could offer no help after changing settings and re installing drivers. All temps are fine and the card passed an online performance test.

please assist

DrNo
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about shut problem
  1. Not enough power is my first guess.

    Bad drivers could be second.

    Bad card, third.
  2. Alec Mowat said:
    Not enough power is my first guess.

    Bad drivers could be second.

    Bad card, third.


    Thanks Alec,

    But Nvidia said that the PSU power was more than enough and the drivers are good because they work with my other card and this card passed the online performance test.

    Do you have any other thoughts?
  3. What PSU is it, exactly? Brand name and all.
  4. Alec Mowat said:
    What PSU is it, exactly? Brand name and all.


    Cooler Master GX-450w 80 Bronze
  5. DrNoNo said:
    Alec Mowat said:
    What PSU is it, exactly? Brand name and all.


    Cooler Master GX-450w 80 Bronze


    That unit has a temperature feature which will shut down under certain overloads. It's better explained here:

    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-GX-450-W-Power-Supply-Review/1234/7

    I imagine that's your problem.
  6. Alec Mowat said:
    DrNoNo said:
    Alec Mowat said:
    What PSU is it, exactly? Brand name and all.


    Cooler Master GX-450w 80 Bronze


    That unit has a temperature feature which will shut down under certain overloads. It's better explained here:

    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-GX-450-W-Power-Supply-Review/1234/7

    I imagine that's your problem.


    Thanks for the info. appreciate your time. This is a new PSU so not sure if this is the problem or not perhaps Nvidia was misleading on their end as to watts needed.

    May invest in a larger PSU....Thanks again!
  7. Best answer
    DrNoNo said:
    Alec Mowat said:
    DrNoNo said:
    Alec Mowat said:
    What PSU is it, exactly? Brand name and all.


    Cooler Master GX-450w 80 Bronze


    That unit has a temperature feature which will shut down under certain overloads. It's better explained here:

    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-GX-450-W-Power-Supply-Review/1234/7

    I imagine that's your problem.


    Thanks for the info. appreciate your time. This is a new PSU so not sure if this is the problem or not perhaps Nvidia was misleading on their end as to watts needed.

    May invest in a larger PSU....Thanks again!


    It's not an issue with the PSU being broken, it's just that the PSU will shut off by design if it's reaching capacity. That system build is probably using just over 400W, and causing the PSU to shut down as a protection measure.

    It's not a bad PSU, but you need about 650W for that system.
  8. Alec Mowat said:
    DrNoNo said:
    Alec Mowat said:
    DrNoNo said:
    Alec Mowat said:
    What PSU is it, exactly? Brand name and all.


    Cooler Master GX-450w 80 Bronze


    That unit has a temperature feature which will shut down under certain overloads. It's better explained here:

    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-GX-450-W-Power-Supply-Review/1234/7

    I imagine that's your problem.


    Thanks for the info. appreciate your time. This is a new PSU so not sure if this is the problem or not perhaps Nvidia was misleading on their end as to watts needed.

    May invest in a larger PSU....Thanks again!


    It's not an issue with the PSU being broken, it's just that the PSU will shut off by design if it's reaching capacity. That system build is probably using just over 400W, and causing the PSU to shut down as a protection measure.

    It's not a bad PSU, but you need about 650W for that system.


    I think you are probably spot-on.
    Nvidia said the card needed as least 400w, so I probably am running over.
    Thanks for the good advice and your time.
  9. Plugged your components into the power supply calculator. It says you're drawing around 370W. If you have any extra components (I added a DVD-RW and 3 case fans into the calculation), then you may be maxing out your power supply. Overclocking the card, or the turbo boost on your components will set you over as well.
    http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
    Use this website to figure out your needs.
Ask a new question

Read More

Games Graphics