Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

What is the best type connection (HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI, etc.) to connect a touch screen monitor to desktop tower?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b C Monitor
March 13, 2014 2:12:25 PM

I have always assumed HDMI is the best way to go, as it carries 1080p and in some cables has the capability to go well beyond that mark even. Plus it carries audio. But is there a better way to go? Perhaps a type of connection that is preferred in touch screen monitors because it gives you some type of performance edge such as faster response?

Anyone that can provide some insight into this question is greatly appreciated!

Best solution

a b C Monitor
March 13, 2014 3:21:32 PM

There are a bunch of different types of DVI connections that can reach those high resolutions, but their one main flaw is that they cant carry an audio signal. You get more of an all in one experience with HDMI, so at the moment it is the best way to go.
Share
a b C Monitor
March 13, 2014 4:55:26 PM

DonnyTechMaster said:
There are a bunch of different types of DVI connections that can reach those high resolutions, but their one main flaw is that they cant carry an audio signal. You get more of an all in one experience with HDMI, so at the moment it is the best way to go.


Much obliged for the help! I thought that HDMI was my best bet (especially since it carries audio), but I wasn't 100% sure of myself. It pays to get another's opinion. :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
March 13, 2014 4:56:58 PM

What is your take on Thunderbolt? The desktop tower that I have has a Thunderbolt port as well.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
March 13, 2014 6:34:18 PM

dustinhunt78 said:
What is your take on Thunderbolt? The desktop tower that I have has a Thunderbolt port as well.


well, as far as I know it is the fastest connection out there at 10Gbps (USB 3.0 is only around 4Gbps), but it is currently only used by apple devices, so I guess we will have to wait and see how it evolves. It would be smart for Apple to start outsourcing the technology so that it becomes the new standard connection instead of micro USB.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
March 13, 2014 6:40:26 PM

DonnyTechMaster said:
dustinhunt78 said:
What is your take on Thunderbolt? The desktop tower that I have has a Thunderbolt port as well.


well, as far as I know it is the fastest connection out there at 10Gbps (USB 3.0 is only around 4Gbps), but it is currently only used by apple devices, so I guess we will have to wait and see how it evolves. It would be smart for Apple to start outsourcing the technology so that it becomes the new standard connection instead of micro USB.


Actually, Apple isn't the only one anymore. My Intel DZ87KLT-75k motherboard has a Thunderbolt port. And many RAID/NAS enclosures incorporate it as well. Apple started it, but others have picked it up. :) 
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
March 13, 2014 7:02:18 PM

dustinhunt78 said:
DonnyTechMaster said:
dustinhunt78 said:
What is your take on Thunderbolt? The desktop tower that I have has a Thunderbolt port as well.


well, as far as I know it is the fastest connection out there at 10Gbps (USB 3.0 is only around 4Gbps), but it is currently only used by apple devices, so I guess we will have to wait and see how it evolves. It would be smart for Apple to start outsourcing the technology so that it becomes the new standard connection instead of micro USB.


Actually, Apple isn't the only one anymore. My Intel DZ87KLT-75k motherboard has a Thunderbolt port. And many RAID/NAS enclosures incorporate it as well. Apple started it, but others have picked it up. :) 


Awesome, well if it continues like this then it might just become the next standard, and I have no problem with that!
m
0
l
!