Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Hello I need help upgrading my PC

Tags:
  • Performance
  • Games
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
March 13, 2014 4:31:00 PM

Hello I really help to upgrade my PC is a little dated atm but kind want to see what I can change to get better performance with games please here are the aspects:

CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 940 Processor (3013.77 MHz)
Memory: 4096 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series
Motherboard: GIGABYTE M68M-S2P

Thank for any help you can give me.

More about : upgrading

a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2014 4:36:48 PM

The videocard will make a big different, anything in the GTX 650 ti or higher, or the 750 ti or higher should boost performance decently.

With an aftermarket CPU heatsink, you should be able to overclock that chip to about 3.4 without any issue.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2014 4:48:46 PM

Few questions.

What is your budget?
What games do you play?
What monitor resolution will you be playing at?
What settings in each game?
Finally,
What is your power supply?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2014 4:54:45 PM

If you are on a budget, the cheapest upgrade that would boost performance is upgrading from 4GB to 8GB ram.

If your power supply can't handle the wattage of a higher end video card, look into this as it only consumes 120-150 watts even at full load.

These are my first recommendations; I have more once you have answered the questions I left for you.
m
0
l
March 17, 2014 8:56:39 AM

xxthunder256xx said:
Few questions.

What is your budget?
What games do you play?
What monitor resolution will you be playing at?
What settings in each game?
Finally,
What is your power supply?

=============================================
No budget atm is for been upgrading gradually.
BF4, Titanfall, MC, and others
Monitor resolution 1920x1080
and the Power supply is a 730w

m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2014 9:32:43 AM

Okay with that said, I'd go for a GTX 660 or a GTX 760 if you can afford it. Beast performance and still not insanely expensive.
These cards are meant for 1080p with settings maxed, and they do not suck up a huge amount of power; 700 watts is plenty for one of these.
Plus, both cards have full SLI support if you want to in the future :D 

EDIT: also anything higher than a 760 will be bottlenecked by your cpu, so I wouldn't go any further.
Share
March 18, 2014 12:26:34 PM

xxthunder256xx said:
Okay with that said, I'd go for a GTX 660 or a GTX 760 if you can afford it. Beast performance and still not insanely expensive.
These cards are meant for 1080p with settings maxed, and they do not suck up a huge amount of power; 700 watts is plenty for one of these.
Plus, both cards have full SLI support if you want to in the future :D 

EDIT: also anything higher than a 760 will be bottlenecked by your cpu, so I wouldn't go any further.


sound good to me what about a R9-270x ? and you any suggestion for maybe CPU (amd) upgrade or Ram ?

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2014 3:03:06 PM

An R9 270X would be okay if you want it.

You really don't really need to upgrade your cpu and ram.

What you do need to upgrade is your motherboard, but that would require a new CPU and RAM. This is basically your entire pc, and will cost a lot and will also take some time to do. That's the reason why I didnt mention this first off, but is going to be worth it in the end. Upgrading the video card is going to make the most performance difference, and is what I recommend doing first.

Contact me back if you want to consider this option.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2014 4:32:11 PM

That CPU is fine, you could look for a Phenom II 965BE, but I wouldn't recommend spending more than $60 on it these days. It won't boost performance that much.

You could look into overclocking, but you will need an aftermarket CPU heatsink. Good news is that most CPU heatsinks are compatibale with all AM2 - AM3+ boards.

The 270x should out perform the 650 Ti, however I am biased toward Nvidia, as I find they release better drivers, they are easier to install and tend to look smoother in games.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2014 5:40:06 PM

Alec Mowat said:
It won't boost performance that much.

You could look into overclocking, but you will need an aftermarket CPU heatsink.

The 270x should out perform the 650 Ti...

tend to look smoother in games.


Two great points there.

First off, the performance boost isn't worth the money you could spend on a 965 BE.

Secondly, overclocking also wouldn't really boost performance that much, again.

Last, don't listen to him about the 650 Ti vs 270X.
The difference there is trememdous. I'd get the 270X, or like I said earlier, go for a GTX660 or a GTX760. The performance is almost too close between those. Go for whatever you budget is leans toward.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2014 5:56:50 PM

Quote:
Secondly, overclocking also wouldn't really boost performance that much, again.


16% isn't much?
http://www.techspot.com/review/142-phenom2-overclocking...

You have interesting logic. Phenoms are excellent and stable for overclocking. You could easily get it to 3.4, same performance as a Phenom II 965 BE, without much effort.

Quote:
The difference there is trememdous. I'd get the 270X, or like I said earlier, go for a GTX660 or a GTX760. The performance is almost too close between those. Go for whatever you budget is leans toward.


With an older CPU, I'd save money, and pick up an 750 ti and save $100.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Unless you absolutely want to play Battlefield 4 on High, in which case your CPU will probably be the Bottleneck anyway, than go with the R9 270X.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
m
0
l
March 18, 2014 8:41:01 PM

Ok guess I going for the GTX760, now I have another question is possible to upgrade my motherboard to latest one and move the parts I have atm plus the new GPU ?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2014 9:15:35 PM

Necrun said:
Ok guess I going for the GTX760, now I have another question is possible to upgrade my motherboard to latest one and move the parts I have atm plus the new GPU ?


Not the RAM, but the CPU should fit in a AM3 board (AM3+ has 1 extra pin).
m
0
l
March 19, 2014 3:19:44 AM

any suggestions of motherboards ?
m
0
l
March 19, 2014 9:09:02 AM

no much to pick for my parts or in general, sorry for the noob questions >_< i am kinda new on this.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2014 9:10:38 AM

Necrun said:
no much to pick for my parts or in general, sorry for the noob questions >_< i am kinda new on this.


I'd buy a cheaper videocard, like 750 ti to last for the next year, and save for a full system upgrade.
m
0
l