Using 840 EVO's "RAPID" while in RAID mode

Jonathanese

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Here's my overall scheme. I have these 4 drives:

2x WD 160GB HDDs
OCZ Agility 3 60GB (previous SSD)
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

The two HDDs were literally adjacent to each other in manufacture, making them great for RAID-0.

So I want to do the HDDs in RAID-0. Then use the Agility 3 for smart response SSD Caching, as I have been.

Then, I want the OS and such on the EVO. With the EVO, I would like to enable RAPID, and this is where my problem lies.

In order to use RAID, I need to use RAID mode instead of AHCI in the BIOS. No biggie, RAID includes AHCI right? But apparently I can't install on one, then switch to the other, which seems odd.

And the big problem is that for whatever reason, the SAMSUNG Magician software can't see the EVO. It says AHCI not enabled or something. It also says "similar SSD found", and shows the EVO in the list twice. Huh?

So what is happening? I'm not using any two SSDs in RAID. The EVO Stands alone.

popatim

Titan
the controller that the evo is on is in raid mode is what is going on. The samsung software cant see the drive and therefor will not enable rapid mode. (btdt)

Some motherbds allow you to take a sata port or two out of raid mode , some have another controller that you may be able to move the hdd raid to.

What motherbd do you have?

Jonathanese

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
I actually wound up getting it to work.

It had to do with setting up the SAMSUNG SSD before even connecting the OCZ drive. For some reason Magician still detects the OCZ as SAMSUNG, then says it can't detect it. It also says AHCI doesn't work. But the features are available elsewhere, and RAPID still works, so that's enough for me.

And wow, it's FAST. I also have a 2GB write cache on my OCZ/RAID storage using PrimoCache.