Mar 14, 2014
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0
AMD FX-9370 CPU
Windows 7 Home Premium.
GTX-770 GPU
8 GIGS 1600 RAM
Coolermaster Chassis and CPU fan.

CPU temps are well in the norm (20-35c)
I built this rig last weekend and have had no end of trouble. Windows Update reported an expected 150+ critical updates.

Problem: Machine will randomly restart after initial restart...windows comes up and a few seconds later I'm at the BIOS screen as though I'd clicked the restart button.

Machine will often NOT shut down properly either...also resulting in sending me to the BIOS screen as though I pressed restart.

At this point I don't know what to suspect. I read increasing the CPU voltage by 0.05 would help but wanted to post here before doing anything like that...and TBH I could be looking in the wrong place.

Any thoughts anyone might have would be appreciated.

-C

Solution
If that all happens without a blue screen it really sounds to me like an OS issue. If the restart process happens "normally", you see the "shutting down" message on the screen etc. rather that the screen just going black and restarting as if the power was cut it should be the OS. The same goes for the shut down process.
You could check the event viewer for any critical errors that may have to do with this, it may help.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
If that all happens without a blue screen it really sounds to me like an OS issue. If the restart process happens "normally", you see the "shutting down" message on the screen etc. rather that the screen just going black and restarting as if the power was cut it should be the OS. The same goes for the shut down process.
You could check the event viewer for any critical errors that may have to do with this, it may help.

Solution

ElkayEQ

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
Embra: Its a Corsair Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W

ngrego - I hadn't thought to check the event viewer (SO simple) and it showed a number of errors with a failed install during the Windows Critical Update patching phase...that failed install has been trying to re-install (and failing each time.) I ran the Windows 'Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter' and it identified a problem: Windows Live Mail had two installs on top of each other, one failed and the other did not. I used that same ap to uninstall both copies and have been beating on my rig all afternoon without a single fail (knock on wood!)

So far, I'm cautiously optimistic but will mark this as resolved if I survive the weekend. Regardless, thank you for your reply!

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

You need a Sabertooth R2 or a Crosshair. I have that board and it has way too weak VRM section and a wimpy heatsink for that 220 watt monster. An 8320 or 8350 are too much for it. A six core 6300 is a good match for the UD3. I hope you have a solid psu also.

ElkayEQ

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
Thank you everyone for offering what turns out to all be excellent advice!
ngrego you nailed it - my event viewer showed errors that I was able to correct and for three days now not a single failed shut down or failed startup or random restart!!

Thank you again.

-C