Solved

Upgraded Graphics Card, Wireless Not Fully Working

I just upgraded my graphics card on my desktop. My wireless no longer fully works. I have already ensured that that the card has sufficient power; manufacturer suggests min 750w and thats what I have. When I say the wireless no longer fully works I mean I can ping and navigate the Steam store (which is effectively a browser) in the Steam client; but I can't use Chrome/Firefox. By can't use Chrome/Firefox I mean when I try to use Chrome, Firefox, or IE none will bring up any webpage; not only that but other systems that require internet access can not reach the internet (AVG can't update).

Suggestions? The wireless is connected as a USB dongle and I swapped it with another and same results. The Powersupply is brandnew.

I put the old graphics card in and I still have the same problem.

The computer uses Windows 7. I have tried using an Ubuntu live DVD and the wireless works fine using that (Ubuntu 12.04).

I have tried a wired connection and I get the same results.

I have check virus/firewall settings to no avail.
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgraded graphics card wireless fully working
  1. If it worked fine with Ubuntu, sounds like a driver issue. I would uninstall the driver/software for the adapter you are using and unplug it. Generally the manufacturer will have you install the software first, plug in the hardware, and then it finishes the rest of the software install. Just look up what the proper process is on the device's website.
  2. burdenbound said:
    If it worked fine with Ubuntu, sounds like a driver issue. I would uninstall the driver/software for the adapter you are using and unplug it. Generally the manufacturer will have you install the software first, plug in the hardware, and then it finishes the rest of the software install. Just look up what the proper process is on the device's website.


    I have tried uninstalling the both the drivers for the graphics card, and the wireless adapter; and re-installing them. I do have hope that this is a software issue; however at this juncture I am suspicious it may be related to the motherboard. In addition to uninstalling and re-installing the drivers, as noted I replaced the old card and of course re-seated (unplugged and reattached) the USB wireless adapter. Also I tried using an alternative USB wireless adapter and a wired connection. None of the above have provided success.
  3. Best answer
    Gedalya said:
    burdenbound said:
    If it worked fine with Ubuntu, sounds like a driver issue. I would uninstall the driver/software for the adapter you are using and unplug it. Generally the manufacturer will have you install the software first, plug in the hardware, and then it finishes the rest of the software install. Just look up what the proper process is on the device's website.


    I have tried uninstalling the both the drivers for the graphics card, and the wireless adapter; and re-installing them. I do have hope that this is a software issue; however at this juncture I am suspicious it may be related to the motherboard. In addition to uninstalling and re-installing the drivers, as noted I replaced the old card and of course re-seated (unplugged and reattached) the USB wireless adapter. Also I tried using an alternative USB wireless adapter and a wired connection. None of the above have provided success.


    Since your wired connection didn't work it sort of points you towards your router/modem. I don't see any reason that a new GPU would cause internet connection to not work on your computer. Do you have another device that is connected to the network and working properly? Might want to try and restart your modem and router, maybe even reset the router also and see if that helps you out.
  4. burdenbound said:
    Gedalya said:
    burdenbound said:
    If it worked fine with Ubuntu, sounds like a driver issue. I would uninstall the driver/software for the adapter you are using and unplug it. Generally the manufacturer will have you install the software first, plug in the hardware, and then it finishes the rest of the software install. Just look up what the proper process is on the device's website.


    I have tried uninstalling the both the drivers for the graphics card, and the wireless adapter; and re-installing them. I do have hope that this is a software issue; however at this juncture I am suspicious it may be related to the motherboard. In addition to uninstalling and re-installing the drivers, as noted I replaced the old card and of course re-seated (unplugged and reattached) the USB wireless adapter. Also I tried using an alternative USB wireless adapter and a wired connection. None of the above have provided success.


    Since your wired connection didn't work it sort of points you towards your router/modem. I don't see any reason that a new GPU would cause internet connection to not work on your computer. Do you have another device that is connected to the network and working properly? Might want to try and restart your modem and router, maybe even reset the router also and see if that helps you out.


    This is an excellent point; I apologize for overlooking this. I have rebooted and this did not correct the issue and there are numerous other wired and wireless devices that have no issues.
Ask a new question

Read More

Wireless Windows 7 Networking Graphics Cards Systems