Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

can't change theme settings

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
Share
March 14, 2014 11:44:04 AM

I have home ult. win 7,An ASUS CG-1330-7with,AMD T-1045 CPU,16gb ram,EVGA GTS 450 and a Samsung 120gb ssd 'C' drive. One day the display switched to windows basic and will not come out of it.If I click on an aero theme it will change the borders but not the screen.I can call up any theme I want and when I click settings it will revert to basic. I have gone into the various settings, tried both Auto and custom and they had no effect.I have also done a few clean installs with the restore disc.The machine did not come with restore disc's and I had to make my own and I wonder if they have become corupt?Also I have gone into the BIOS and turned off the internal graphics and set it to the PCI-XXX setting.

More about : change theme settings

March 14, 2014 12:01:18 PM

I believe Basic (starter?) does not let you change these. If Ultimate came on your Asus, It sounds like Ultimate has been 'deactivated', how long have you had this PC. If it came from ASUS w/ Ultimate, I contact them, if you bought a retail version, you'll probably need to reload it. if you got a copy elsewhere, ooooh well.
m
0
l
March 14, 2014 12:08:38 PM

jimpz said:
I believe Basic (starter?) does not let you change these. If Ultimate came on your Asus, It sounds like Ultimate has been 'deactivated', how long have you had this PC. If it came from ASUS w/ Ultimate, I contact them, if you bought a retail version, you'll probably need to reload it. if you got a copy elsewhere, ooooh well.


m
0
l
Related resources
March 14, 2014 12:11:27 PM

I am refering to the display settings not the OS. The OS is Home ultimate win 7,which came pre-installed, and the machine is about 3 years old.
m
0
l
March 14, 2014 12:23:46 PM

The display setting are controlled by the OS (aero theme, borders, etc) , while I did misread the 'windows basic' part, does your Ultimate still show as activated?
m
0
l
March 14, 2014 3:28:52 PM

jimpz said:
The display setting are controlled by the OS (aero theme, borders, etc) , while I did misread the 'windows basic' part, does your Ultimate still show as activated?


m
0
l
March 14, 2014 3:38:44 PM

I am not at my machine.I am at work on a slow day.Where would I find this notice,under computer?How would I know it was activated?It does seem to act like a trial program . I have already checked out the other questions on this forum concerning aero themes,I have tried all of thier suggestions so I know that it is a little deeper down than a basic setting, and so far you have raised the most interesting question.It is acting like I turned something off by mistake that has global effect.
m
0
l
March 14, 2014 4:04:04 PM

Every now & then, it seems, an update deactivates windows. Usually a call to microsoft fixes it.
Easiest place to check is under 'Control Panel', click 'System' & at the bottom it will tell you windows status.
m
0
l
March 14, 2014 5:37:05 PM

jimpz said:
Every now & then, it seems, an update deactivates windows. Usually a call to microsoft fixes it.
Easiest place to check is under 'Control Panel', click 'System' & at the bottom it will tell you windows status.


m
0
l
March 14, 2014 5:39:41 PM

Thank you I will check for that. I now remember that it did start after an update. When I tried to restore it kept giving me an error messeage that it couldn't complete the restore, and thats when I tried the clean re-install.
m
0
l
March 14, 2014 6:37:10 PM

If it's not activated, I believe under control panel/system, you can click 'activate now, it'll ask for the product key, & if it doesn't work it will give you an option to activate by phone, it'll give you an 800 # and it automated.
m
0
l
March 14, 2014 9:32:09 PM

jimpz said:
If it's not activated, I believe under control panel/system, you can click 'activate now, it'll ask for the product key, & if it doesn't work it will give you an option to activate by phone, it'll give you an 800 # and it automated.


m
0
l
March 14, 2014 9:35:46 PM

It is activated but... The product code is not one that I entered.It doesn't match the product key on the windows sticker.BTW it's Home Prem. my bad. Is there some way to re activate?
m
0
l

Best solution

March 15, 2014 8:43:30 AM

If it's not activated, go to control p[anel/ System, clicick 'Activate now', & enter in you product key, if it doesn't activate properly, it'll give you an option to activate via phone, select this, & call the 800#, it's all automated.

Also (maybe before the above) go to a start, type CMD, right click on it & run as Admin. Type "sfc /SCANNOW" if there are ant corrupt files, this may fix them (and solve your problem), if it says it can't fix them all, you'll either have to use your disc to re-install, or get a Home premium disc from someone, or down load an ISO & burn to cd from DigitalRiver or MyDigitalLife & do an in-place UPGRADE, not an install, this will repair your installation & keep your programs & files.
Share
March 15, 2014 12:16:45 PM

jimpz said:
If it's not activated, go to control p[anel/ System, clicick 'Activate now', & enter in you product key, if it doesn't activate properly, it'll give you an option to activate via phone, select this, & call the 800#, it's all automated.

Also (maybe before the above) go to a start, type CMD, right click on it & run as Admin. Type "sfc /SCANNOW" if there are ant corrupt files, this may fix them (and solve your problem), if it says it can't fix them all, you'll either have to use your disc to re-install, or get a Home premium disc from someone, or down load an ISO & burn to cd from DigitalRiver or MyDigitalLife & do an in-place UPGRADE, not an install, this will repair your installation & keep your programs & files.


m
0
l
March 15, 2014 12:23:00 PM

Thanks for your help. I will be trying the later 2 suggestions as it is actvated. However when I saw the symptons of what win 7 does when you forget to activate, it would appear to be the culprit. Can I do the upgrade in place with a restore disc? Once again I am at work. Snow was almost gone,well sorta, when I woke up to over a foot and a half of powder,so at 3 am I'm shoveling snow so I only had to shovel another 6" when I got up.WTAWB (Welcome To Alaska White Boy)
m
0
l
March 15, 2014 1:08:42 PM

I'm not sure if you cna do that with a restore disc.

THmm, I woke up to light rain, now 50ish! Still plenty of snow around, did ride my road bike.
m
0
l
March 18, 2014 10:33:30 PM

jimpz said:
I'm not sure if you cna do that with a restore disc.

THmm, I woke up to light rain, now 50ish! Still plenty of snow around, did ride my road bike.


m
0
l
March 18, 2014 10:40:25 PM

In the long run my only option turned out to be re-formatting with the OEM re-store disc. After doing more research it turned out to be a downloader that was embeded with an installer,Pando Media Booster, it had been hi jacked in Febuary and a virus maquerading as a browser called "sweet page"had hi jacked my machine.The most ineresting part was that they had shut down in August after apparently selling out to" reload "and didn't tell any one.
m
0
l
!