Slow internet speed?
We have ordered a 50/50 fiber network. So if I test it at Speedtest.net I get 50 mbps download/upload. But if I download a game from steam or origin I get 5-7 mbps. The other day I got 40 mbps on origin for 5 minutes and then back to 6 mbps, but I have never had 40 mbps before. Don't I get what i pay for or is that just how it works? I have a very good PC, and it is connected to the internet with an ethernet cable.
Yup that's how it works, even if you call your ISP and complain to them about it, they will just tell you that you and your community share the same internet source from them, and there are just too many people using the bandwidth so you can't reach the max speed that was promised. Although that's somewhat true. Anyways, ISP has the ability to throttle any connection as they wish, for example many ISP in the U.S. throttles the download from Netflix, they are complaining that they are using too much bandwidth, so they end up slowing it down on purpose.
1. Use a VPN, it can bypass the ISP's throttle because they will only see you connecting to a random website. However, the result will depend on the VPN's service.
2. Call the ISP and ask them to reset the connection for you
3. Download stuff during times when less people are using Internet connection (late at night, early in the morning, business/school hours)
4. Deal with it.
Something a lot of people don't realize is that your ISP will tell you that you will be getting 50Mbps and then you'll look at something you're downloading and wonder why it's only 8MBps. The difference people don't see is the lower and uppercase B. A lot of ISPs sell their data at megaBITS per second, where as we see megaBYTES per second.
I'm not saying that this is the issue you are having, as you typed mbps everytime, but just so you know 50 Mbits is only 6.25 MBytes per second.
bignastyid said:Thats normal, you are not the only one downloading from those sources and they do not have unlimited bandwidth. So what speed you get depends on how much other traffic they have, the more traffic the slower the download and vise versa.
Due to any one of the following reasons your internet gets slow down ;
1. Local network is overloaded
2. Malware or scareware on end users computers
3. Bad connection
If you want to speed up your internet connection , use the following tips :
1. Clear cookies from your browser
2. Close unwanted background tasks when you are working with the internet .
3. Scan your internet by using standard Anti-virus software
4. Reset your modem and reconnect with the internet.
5. Test your internet speed often by using Scanmyspeed.com