Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

need recommendation for replacement for geforce g100...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 15, 2014 7:52:08 AM

Hey guys,

I'm working on my folks PC and think the issue is a bad GPU. I'm having a hard time finding the specific G100 anywhere. Is there an equivalent cheap card we could use instead?

Here is a link to the cards specs...

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-g1...

Length
6.6 inches
Height
2.7 inches

Thanks,
-TG
March 15, 2014 7:56:02 AM

1.What do you intend to do with the system?
2.What is your PSU model?
3.How much can you spend?

The perfect solution will be nameable if you answer this.Thank You :) 
m
0
l
March 15, 2014 8:00:02 AM

if you can find 1 the gforce GT120 will be a decent replacement video card. it only requires an extra 20watts but is more than double the power which will hep video decoding and playback.

its the same length but 2 inches wider so should fit without issue.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 15, 2014 10:41:54 AM

HEXiT said:
if you can find 1 the gforce GT120 will be a decent replacement video card. it only requires an extra 20watts but is more than double the power which will hep video decoding and playback.

its the same length but 2 inches wider so should fit without issue.


wider is going to be an issue for fitting back in the case
m
0
l
March 15, 2014 10:49:33 AM

gamer2321 said:
1.What do you intend to do with the system?
2.What is your PSU model?
3.How much can you spend?

The perfect solution will be nameable if you answer this.Thank You :) 


1. It's just his old PC. Mostly surf the web...doesn't need much.
2. I will see if I can find a link for his whole PC...looks like a 220w PSU

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/acer-aspire-x1700-u370...

3. Would like to keep it under $25 if possible as I'm not 100% sure this is the issue.

m
0
l

Best solution

March 15, 2014 11:02:33 AM

looks as if you have a video output on the board just under the serial poert, try hooking that to the monitor to test if that is the issue http://www.ascendtech.us/mmASC/Images/IMG_0667.jpg

Share
March 15, 2014 11:08:22 AM

CRITICALThinker said:
looks as if you have a video output on the board just under the serial poert, try hooking that to the monitor to test if that is the issue http://www.ascendtech.us/mmASC/Images/IMG_0667.jpg



I tried that already, but I think I still had the card in slot...not sure if that causes an issue. I will try again right now with the card out and let you know.
m
0
l
March 15, 2014 12:17:37 PM

No longer the main issue...somehow between testing it a few weeks ago and today the plastic piece to the power connection on the hard drive broke off and is stuck in a power plug. I am just going to trash it I guess.

Thanks for the help anyway!
m
0
l
March 15, 2014 1:57:05 PM

I broke a sata connection on a HDD once, they seem to be thinner than most would believe, if it is power though you may have a drive with both molex (4-pin) and sata power inputs, so it may still be usable best of luck in whatever you end up doing :) 
m
0
l
!