i5 4670 stress test temperature

poweris

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
Hey, guys i just build my first desktop. I did some stress tests, and here's what I got.
I used prime95, for about 20mins, and max temp was 68 - 70C. Idle temps are 25 - 32C, are those ok, considering that max CPU temp is 72C? I'm very curious, should i get any other CPU FAN, or change thermal compound, oh btw, while mounting stock CPU fan I did accidentaly touched pre-apllied thermal compound with my finger. Shoud I do something or this temps are ok? oh and I used RealTemp software :)

Solution
I would definitely get a after market cooler regardless, its definitely not your case however you could add a side panel fan.
Have you used speedfan to increase the rpm of the fan on the cpu cooler? that maybe the problem

flyrojacoblowe

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
Your temps are a little on the hot side but there not going to damage anything, I'd recommend getting a after market cooler.
You don't need anything fancy maybe a corsair A50, I have a corsair h100i on my 2500k it runs super cool. Jacob

poweris

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014

it's just me, or everyone with stock fans has those temperatures? I've got zalman ZM - Z1 which has pretty good airflow and 2 case fans. Which temps are really dangerous?

flyrojacoblowe

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
I would definitely get a after market cooler regardless, its definitely not your case however you could add a side panel fan.
Have you used speedfan to increase the rpm of the fan on the cpu cooler? that maybe the problem

Solution

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Just get a Hyper 212 evo if you're worried about your temps. However, those temps aren't dangerous at all. Intel recommends not passing 72c to make absolute sure that you're not going to damage the CPU. But at stock volts and clockspeed, keep it under 90c and the lifetime won't be affected much, especially because you won't get very close to Prime95 temps when doing everyday things such as gaming etc. You're 100% okay.

poweris

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014

I have had it instaled, and did click auto speed fan box few times, but that's it, i uninstaled it, because it show 15C lower temp than Realtemp

poweris

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
just made tests again this is 13min run in "blend" mode: http://prntscr.com/312noq and 10min test in "In-place large FFTs" mode : http://prntscr.com/312s8n . Uhm, i played gta 4 for a while with hd gpu, and max temp was 62C. And actually I can't hear CPU fan speed up at higher temps. Are those just stock fan normal temps, or might the problem occured because of thermal compound touching my fingers? Idle temps are around 25 - 28C

poweris

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014

what do you mean? should i go to BIOS or something? i'd better strugle with more noise, rather than more heat, how to speed up cpu fan? Is it strongly recommended to change headsink or thermal compound for me, or could I go well without upgrades?

flyrojacoblowe

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
I would install speed fan, look on YouTube there's a few tutorials on there on how to set a constant speed. but you can do it in bios. a aftermarket cooler is definitely the bet option, maybe even a water cooler.

poweris

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014

water cooler, for non OC, really? :O

flyrojacoblowe

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
ahaha, no its definitely not needed, but people who want a quite system it's quite nessessery.

poweris

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014

i was so stupid, i just checked stock cooler mounting instruction and found out that spining those "screws" do not fixes tightness of fan, but loosens it, that means then i installed my fan, i spinned those "screws" and they loosend fan a little bit, which made it perform worse. So I reainstaled fan, this is my new tests : http://prntscr.com/314qhe average is 61C, i think it's fine? Core temps jumps around 60-61, for some sec 63, rarely 64 or 65
Oh, and I changed fan speed to turbo in BIOS, and min 500/s. Sadly, Speedfan does not support my motherboard

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Again guys, as long as you're under 90c at stock volts and speeds, you're 100% okay. Hell, even 100c isn't too bad for stock. Your stock cooler is okay, and your temps are okay. You don't need to invest in a cooler, and if you spending anymore than 35$ on one would be a waste. The hyper 212+ is 25$ and it kept my 3770k at 4.2GHz with stock voltage under 60c when stress testing with prime 95. That's still about 30c away from the risky zone. And even in the risky zone, your CPU will last a long time. At the temps and voltages you are at right now, expect at least 10 years of lifetime. AT LEAST. Meaning if your PC was on 24/7 pinned at 100% load at 75c, it would likely run like that for a solid 10 years. Obviously you won't be putting that kind of stress on your CPU. Anything newer than Intel 2nd gen core i series are built like tanks. We aren't playing with Core 2s or Phenom IIs anymore (although AMD CPUs still don't deal with thermals over 70c very well).

poweris

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014

Thank you very much :)) i feel relief! I think i'll get hyper evo 212 then time will come to change thermal compound :) As for now i will enjoy my build, again, thanks!