Should I get a non-OC i7 4770, or should I OC the i5 4670k?

Sharks445

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
Should I just get the i7 4770 and not ever overclock, or should I get the i5 4670k and overclock it to 4.3 GHz? I will be using the same processor for 5 years, and I need to make decision quick. I cannot afford i7 4770k I need to choose one of those 2. Is overclocking really worth it, or is it just something people do for fun? Will the i7 4770 run latest games for 5 years? I will be periodically upgrading the GPU, but I'm not upgrading CPU until my next build in 5 years.
I'm using the rig for high end gaming.

Solution
Btw, I was facing a similar choice but when I worked out the cost and value for money, the i7 4771 and the hyper evo 212 worked out much better for me so I got that and just added an enermax twister cluster advance 120 mm to the cooler to make a push pull system.

Done and dusted, better performance, better value for money and no reduction in the life of the cpu from extreme overclocking.

My pcs have to last 16 years so life is important. 8 years for the primary pc which becomes the secondary pc after 8 at which time I make a new primary pc which after another 8 years wll become my secondary and my previous secondary gets thrown away.

Im going i7 4771 with crossfire r9 290x asus direct cu version.

Bad_Kitty13

Admirable
if you just plan on gaming then the performance of a 4670k is just a tad under the 4770 in some games and exactly the same in others. overclocking improves performance of the cpu increasing fps and computational speed. so imho go with the 4670k unless you do video encoding or programming. just make sure you have a z87 mobo to overclock and the ability to cfx/sli down the road

eazy899

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
I would say get a non overclocked i7 4771 as opposed to i7 4770, that's what I did.

Personally, I don't rate overclocking because in order to do it to a great degree, you need to spend a lot on a good liquid cooling system and if you can afford to do that, just get a crappy cooler and buy a better cpu instead.

Its like people who buy an i7 4770k and a corsair h100i I think its called, that's a 100 pound liquid cooling system.

Its a complete waste of money and the value for money when you overclock to 4.5 ghz over the 4.2 you could get with a hyper evo 212 at 25 pounds is terrible.

Instead of wasting money on an expensive cooler, just get a better cpu and get a cheap, quiet cooler like the hyper evo 212.

eazy899

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Btw, I was facing a similar choice but when I worked out the cost and value for money, the i7 4771 and the hyper evo 212 worked out much better for me so I got that and just added an enermax twister cluster advance 120 mm to the cooler to make a push pull system.

Done and dusted, better performance, better value for money and no reduction in the life of the cpu from extreme overclocking.

My pcs have to last 16 years so life is important. 8 years for the primary pc which becomes the secondary pc after 8 at which time I make a new primary pc which after another 8 years wll become my secondary and my previous secondary gets thrown away.

Im going i7 4771 with crossfire r9 290x asus direct cu version.

Solution

Sharks445

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014

Ok thanks, I figured that I don't need to overclock because of risks and shorter lifespan, and because there is barely any performance boost. I'm going to go with a non-OC $80 motherboard to go with a i7 4770. I will only need one GPU, so no sli/crossfire. I also don't need supercharged RAM, so 1.6ghz will work fine.