Hey guys,

My current set up:
i7-4770k
Z87-G45 MOBO
16GB DDR3
2x GTX 780ti's SLI
3x QNIX 2710 overclocked @ 116hz 7680x1440 surround

Question:
I'm having issues running BF4 @ 7680x1440 Ultra AA off. While the FPS is acceptable averaging between 60-90fps. The shuddering & input lag is terrible. After testing with MSI Afterburner, I am hitting my RAM limit frequently. My GPU both are at 99% usage as well. Temps are climbing between 65-70c. My case cooling is good, not a problem.

Am I better off w/ 2x 290x in crossfire because of the extra 1GB of Ram? I have tested my current setup using many different options. Even when downgrading the setting in 7680x1440, the game Shudders like crazy and the input lag is really bad. I have tried overclocking CPU, GPU, & RAM which makes no real difference. I have considered running 3X 780 ti's, but my Mobo and PSU wouldn't really support it. I have looked at investing in a new board with PLX chip, but this doesn't sound like a cost efficient option. I would really rather stick with 2 cards.

When I downgrade the resolution to 5835x1080 w/ bezel correct, the games runs 100% better and I average 110fps. Unfortunately, the game looks like crap. I realize i'm asking alot of my GPU to push this many pixels, but is there any amount of money and hardware that will create a enjoyable playing experience in BF4 at this resolution?

What do I need to do to get this game running right? Is it just driver & SLI optimization at this point?

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Ok, another twist.

I have been working with this for a couple weeks and finally figured out what was going on. Go figure, another BF4 optimization or coding issue. My monitors have always been overclock @ 116hz stable. I have attempted to play the game at both (what I thought) was 116hz & 60hz (per the game menu settings).

What I realized this afternoon is, with my particular set up. The game automatically defaults to 60hz, regardless of what it says in the menu settings. The game was SET to do 7680x1400 @ 116z, but was only giving me 60hz. This was causing a stupid amount of input lag & shuddering.

I was in the game this afternoon moving my mouse around in the menu and realized by the way my mouse was motioning that there was no...

Joel Stilwell

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
That's just it. I don't want to downgrade the quality. But, to answer your question, I have tried High, Medium, & low. Low seems to run soother with lower input lag. But who spends $1400 on GPU's to run games at low settings. My RAM limit only reaches 3GB occasionally. So is this the problem? the RAM? If so, It would make a lot more sense to run 2x 290X in crossfire since they would have 4GB ram instead of 3. I just don't want to over complicate and waste my time if its not the RAM limit.

If its not, then there simply isnt a SLI configuration that will run this game at this resolution. Could my CPU be bottle-necking my GPU's? If so, maybe grabbing a 2011 board and i7 CPU is the answer.

BF4 is one of the most demanding games out there, and running at that resolution makes it even worse. You can try running 290X CrossFire, it's probably going to be smoother because of the extra VRAM. However, it is going to run a lot hotter and I would advise waiting for the new Maxwell to come out and then make the conclusion, unless you aren't willing to wait for another few months for its price to settle.

Joel Stilwell

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Well, I think I have solved the problem short term. I just randomly decided to dedicate my CPU (i7-4770k) to PhysX using the NVIDIA drivers. WOW!!! World of difference. I am getting a smooth, lag free experience in BF4 @ 7680x1440 Custom set up..Mostly High settings with AA turned completely off. I'm averaging 100-120 fps with 0 input lag. VERY HAPPY I found the solution.

Is this normal to use your CPU as your PhysX driver?

From what I've heard, putting the PhysX load onto CPU will ease the pressure on GPU, but will not be as accurate with the physics as CPU doesn't have as many cores to operate quick enough for all the little things going on. However, if loosen up the pressure on your GPU makes it run smoother and trade off accuracy is your choice, then it's more than welcome :)

Joel Stilwell

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Ok, another twist.

I have been working with this for a couple weeks and finally figured out what was going on. Go figure, another BF4 optimization or coding issue. My monitors have always been overclock @ 116hz stable. I have attempted to play the game at both (what I thought) was 116hz & 60hz (per the game menu settings).

What I realized this afternoon is, with my particular set up. The game automatically defaults to 60hz, regardless of what it says in the menu settings. The game was SET to do 7680x1400 @ 116z, but was only giving me 60hz. This was causing a stupid amount of input lag & shuddering.

I was in the game this afternoon moving my mouse around in the menu and realized by the way my mouse was motioning that there was no way I was running at 116hz. The difference between 60hz & 116hz is night and day to anyone that has played with the settings.

Every time I fire up BF4, I have to adjust the system settings back to 7680x1440 @ 60hz, then back to 7680x1400 @ 116hz for BF4 to recognize that my monitors are running at 116hz. All of the sudden, the game runs like butter. AMAZING! I finally feel I am getting the performance I invested in. This is an issue with BF4. NOTHING ELSE. This game is screwed up on every level. I should have know! All the issues I have had with BF4 over the last few months, and the game was the issue the whole time.

If anyone else is having this issue and doesn't understand what I'm talking about, PM me and I will explain further. But this thing runs like a god with these 780 ti's in SLI.

Thanks guys!

Solution