Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

One Short Beep One Long Beep On Start Up No Video

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
March 16, 2014 6:59:31 PM

Jump moved my tower from my house to my dorm room. When I plugged everything in and turned on power there are two beeps one short and then one long. I tried resetting the ram and it did not change. When I took the ram completely out the beeps changed too one short multiple long. Power appears to be fine all fans are running and lights on motherboard are on. Please help! I have a Asus motherboard, unsure of the exact model.
a c 235 V Motherboard
March 16, 2014 7:25:57 PM

You verified the memory modules were fully inserted, but they shouldn't come out since they are locked into place. Have you checked the video card and connectors all are fully inserted?
m
0
l
March 16, 2014 7:29:28 PM

GhislainG said:
You verified the memory modules were fully inserted, but they shouldn't come out since they are locked into place. Have you checked the video card and connectors all are fully inserted?


I tried booting without the ram and received multiple long beeps. I also tried just 1 stick of ram and received the original two beeps. I have double checked all video card connectors. Thanks for the reply!
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 235 V Motherboard
March 16, 2014 7:33:41 PM

I'm not referring to the video card power connectors. Remove and reinsert the video card in the PCI Express slot. Also check power cables on the motherboard to make sure they all are fully inserted.
m
0
l
March 16, 2014 7:44:19 PM

GhislainG said:
I'm not referring to the video card power connectors. Remove and reinsert the video card in the PCI Express slot. Also check power cables on the motherboard to make sure they all are fully inserted.


I have done both, still no luck. Same beeps with no video card at all. Also same beeps with new PSU. I really appreciate the help, thank you.

m
0
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
March 16, 2014 7:46:37 PM

What does the beep pattern mean for your motherboard? No video card or a bad memory module? Leave a single memory module; if that doesn't help, then try another module just in case the first one is bad.
m
0
l
March 16, 2014 7:55:08 PM

GhislainG said:
What does the beep pattern mean for your motherboard? No video card or a bad memory module? Leave a single memory module; if that doesn't help, then try another module just in case the first one is bad.


I am not sure the model of my motherboard and I have not been able to find consistent information about a short beep long beep pattern. I have done as you suggested with the ram and still have no luck. Have tried a different video card, different psu, and different memory modules. No luck.
m
0
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
March 17, 2014 4:24:04 AM

Then it's time to take it apart and figure out what has been dislodged or damaged. If it's a tower, did you carry it flat on it's side to ensure the motherboard was horizontal and at the bottom of the case? At this point you need to provide details about your system.
m
0
l
March 17, 2014 8:25:58 AM

GhislainG said:
Then it's time to take it apart and figure out what has been dislodged or damaged. If it's a tower, did you carry it flat on it's side to ensure the motherboard was horizontal and at the bottom of the case? At this point you need to provide details about your system.


It was not handled too carefully. Which details would be helpful? I am unsure of the exact type of mobo. Like I have said I have replaced the PSU, ram, and video card with other parts that I know work. After replacing each part individually I still got the same one short beep one long beep. Is there a way to find the model of my mobo, I have looked but have not seen any serial numbers.
m
0
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
March 17, 2014 10:13:08 AM

The manufacturer and model number should be printed on the motherboard. If you can't provide that info, then you'll have to bring it to a PC shop. A PC has to be handled very carefully; otherwise it will get damaged, particularly if you installed a large cooler as that could crack the motherboard.
m
0
l
March 17, 2014 10:40:02 PM

GhislainG said:
The manufacturer and model number should be printed on the motherboard. If you can't provide that info, then you'll have to bring it to a PC shop. A PC has to be handled very carefully; otherwise it will get damaged, particularly if you installed a large cooler as that could crack the motherboard.


Alright I finally found the model number. It is an Asus p8h61 mlx2. the PSU is a tx750 corsair, video card is r9 270 gigabyte, Intel® Core™ i5-2300 Processor, rendition 4g 240 ram x2, 1tb hitachi hdd
m
0
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
March 18, 2014 4:45:36 AM

You can remove the GPU and connect the monitor to the motherboard; that will at least allow you to prove the GPU is not the issue. If I were you, I'd remove the motherboard and test everything outside of the case because the motherboard may have shifted a bit a it may be shorting to a post.
m
0
l
!