Solved

R7 250 GPU Frame Rate Drop For No Reason

I just bought a brand new Sapphire R7 250 GPU, the 1 GB Gddr5 version. I know this is not a top of the line card but it is decent, or supposed to be. I will be playing a game, say Borderlands 2 for a while, 50 fps no problem with settings on medium to high. Out of nowhere the fps will drop to 5 and the GPU will be maxed out 100% according to my afterburner software anyway. It will usually go back after a couple mins but only after alt tabbing a couple times. My specs are athlon x3 440 tri core, 6 GB of ddr2 ram, and sapphire radeon R7 250 1gb gddr5 GPU. Also I always make sure I'm noir running any other programs while I'm playing games and my old GPU, a gt 520, worked fine with almost same settings. And that is a way cheaper GPU. PLEASE HELP!!
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 250 gpu frame rate drop reason
  1. Monitor temperature and see where they max during gameplay. Your psu may be faulty as well.
  2. d1rtydeedz said:
    Monitor temperature and see where they max during gameplay. Your psu may be faulty as well.

Yeah I do monitor temp, it never goes above 50 degrees c. Would it be a bad PSU if my last card worked OK? I have a 400 w corsair. The R7 250 says that is the minimum for it. I have a spare 680w PSU, you think I should change it out?
  3. I'd give it a try and see.
  4. Yes change it if you have something like the 680w PSU.I think the PSU is causing the troubles
  5. d1rtydeedz said:
    I'd give it a try and see.

I will try, and let you know. Thanks for the quick reply.
  6. subhadeep082012-1331288 said:
    Yes change it if you have something like the 680w PSU.I think the PSU is causing the troubles

What about if I increase the power limit percentage on my afterburner software? I just realized there is an option for it. It was set at zero, it will let me go up to 20%. Do you think that will matter or should I even try it?
  7. Best answer
    hansel81 said:
    subhadeep082012-1331288 said:
    Yes change it if you have something like the 680w PSU.I think the PSU is causing the troubles

What about if I increase the power limit percentage on my afterburner software? I just realized there is an option for it. It was set at zero, it will let me go up to 20%. Do you think that will matter or should I even try it?

Yes you should try it
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs Sapphire Graphics