750 Ti / R7 265 Worthwhile for Old Core 2 System?

ecbaldy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
Hello, I have an almost 8 year old Core 2 E6600 based system running stock at 2.4GHz with 6GB RAM and a GeForce 7600 GT 256MB. It’s served me well but I’d like to run a newer game or too. If I drop a 750 Ti (or an R7 265 if they ever start shipping, maybe even a Radeon HD 7870) into the system will it be worthwhile? I might be able to swing a new i5, board and processor in the not too distant future, but it’ll be an either/or kind of situation here.

What would be better, the old system with new video card or a new system with onboard video and 16GB or so of RAM? I need to save money and am looking to possibly run Battlefield 3 at best (4 would be nice too, but I know it’s a pipe dream at this point). Money is definitely the driving factor here, I appreciate your advice. Thanks!

Monitor resolution is also an important factor, if you're using a 1080 monitor the GTX750 (non Ti) would be as much as the E6600 could reasonably drive, if the display res is lower, I'd drop to a HD7750 (DDR5 version). Only consider a faster option if you intend to carry it over into a new build/major upgrade in the fairly near future.
Either of the above should run without the need fro an extra PCI-E power lead but be aware that high end games will still suffer from the relative lack of CPU power.
Unless you're going to do VERY memory intensive work like video or high res photo editing, 8Gb of memory is more than enough and you could probably get away with 4Gb if you keep the system clear of background programs/processes.

ecbaldy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
I currently have 2 1280x1024 analog monitors. With either of the 750's I could use a third 1280x1024 as well... Although probably not more than one of these for any gaming.

I'm doubtful you'd be able to connect 3 analog monitors to your graphics card.
My old Geforce 210 card had a DVI-I port, a VGA port and a HDMI port.
So I could connect analog monitors to the DVI-I and VGA, but not the HDMI; resulting in total 2 monitors.
However, the 750 and 750 Ti cards use a DVI-I, a DVI-D and a mini-HDMI port. So you'll be able to connect an analog monitor to only the DVI-I port, limiting the number of monitors per card to one.

UPDATE: I see you would be able to use splitters to increase the number of monitors, but I can't really comment on that; since I've not used any myself.