Solved

FX 8320 getting hot

So i just upgraded from a fx6300 to a fx8320 and for some reason even at stock setting with the 8320 my idle is lower than 20c but underload it jumps to 60c when using cinebench or prime95 or intel burn this is stock. now i have a h60i cooler push pull set up and i had my fx6300 overclocked to 4.5 and it ran at 52c max load, i have redone the TP like 5times now AS5 i did the pea, the x, and the spread. all with the same results. Help me please
32 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 8320 hot
  1. 60C is not bad at all for a graphics card. This seems normal to me. If your card was 80-120C, then I would say bring out the fire extinguishers.
  2. biohazrdfear said:
    60C is not bad at all for a graphics card. This seems normal to me. If your card was 80-120C, then I would say bring out the fire extinguishers.

He's talking about a CPU.
  3. 60c for stock setting with a h60i yah thats bad my gpu is fine it runs at around 60c also
  4. Eduello said:
    biohazrdfear said:
    60C is not bad at all for a graphics card. This seems normal to me. If your card was 80-120C, then I would say bring out the fire extinguishers.

He's talking about a CPU.

Man...its way too early in the morning for this.
  5. zachparr2442 said:
    60c for stock setting with a h60i yah thats bad my gpu is fine it runs at around 60c also

A CPU, not a GPU :)

@biohazrdfear: I know right :D
  6. zachparr2442 said:
    So i just upgraded from a fx6300 to a fx8320 and for some reason even at stock setting with the 8320 my idle is lower than 20c but underload it jumps to 60c when using cinebench or prime95 or intel burn this is stock. now i have a h60i cooler push pull set up and i had my fx6300 overclocked to 4.5 and it ran at 52c max load, i have redone the TP like 5times now AS5 i did the pea, the x, and the spread. all with the same results. Help me please

Well since your cooler is probably working and you redid the TP so many times I have no other advice than to RMA the CPU :(

On a side note: Check the BIOS for accidental overclocks. The previous OC may not have been reset even though you changed the CPU.
  7. i reset everything to default and and made sure everything was stock before i booted this processor and its runs at 3.5 like it should
  8. What is your voltage in the BIOS. Is turbo on? You can look at an overclocking guide and learn how to modify your voltage. By doing so you will lower voltage. You'll also learn a lot in the process.
  9. Also, you can turn off AMD's version of hyper threading. Virtual core control or something like that. I'm an Intel fanboy, so I'm not 100%
  10. yah ive read that also i used to overclock my FX6300 4.5, but like i said this fx8320 is at stock settings and with a h60i im gettin high temps and i think the stck voltage is 1.34-1.36
  11. biohazrdfear said:
    Also, you can turn off AMD's version of hyper threading. Virtual core control or something like that. I'm an Intel fanboy, so I'm not 100%

im not sure what this is and i shouldnt have to do it with stock setting on this CPU and i never did it with my fx6300 either, and the overclocking guide with these boards and processor mentions nothing of the sorts
  12. My conclusion: RMA the CPU.
  13. sorry but that new to me what is RMA
  14. zachparr2442 said:
    sorry but that new to me what is RMA

Return merchandise authorization a.k.a. sending the product back to the retailer and asking for a replacement.
  15. anyone else have any suggestions
  16. Wait, why are you worried about 60C temps during a stress test on one of the hottest running CPUs?

1) You'll never hit those temps under normal use.
    2) 60C is not anywhere near the CPU's TMAX.
  17. DonQuixoteMC said:
    Wait, why are you worried about 60C temps during a stress test on one of the hottest running CPUs?

The stock cooler would probably get those temps but we're talking about a water cooled chip here.
    My fx-8350 maxes out @ 40C with a Noctua nh-d14 so a Corsair H-series cooler shouldn't let the temps much higher than that.
  18. Eduello said:
    DonQuixoteMC said:
    Wait, why are you worried about 60C temps during a stress test on one of the hottest running CPUs?

The stock cooler would probably get those temps but we're talking about a water cooled chip here.
    My fx-8350 maxes out @ 40C with a Noctua nh-d14 so a Corsair H-series cooler shouldn't let the temps much higher than that.

see that the problem i overclocked my buddys 8320 same cooler and mobo and i have his at 4.4ghz at 55c max
  19. im having them send me a new one
  20. zachparr2442 said:
    im having them send me a new one

That's probably the best thing to do. I hope it fixes your problem :)
  21. Good point. Even though the Noctua is a better cooler, I don't think it's -20C better :P

You really only get to 40C during stress testing with an overclocked 8320!? That's incredible. You have one superstar of a chip.
  22. DonQuixoteMC said:
    Good point. Even though the Noctua is a better cooler, I don't think it's -20C better :P

You really only get to 40C during stress testing with an overclocked 8320!? That's incredible. You have one superstar of a chip.

Yeah I've kept folding@home running for hours and the average temps are always around 40 C. I've thought about overclocking but currently there's no need for it.
  23. Gotcha. Still, very cool.

Literally! :P
  24. yah im going to order some Noctua NF-F12s also it kinda pisses me off casue i should be able to get 4.2-4.5 pretty easy with this cooler
  25. So turns out to be my cpu cooler i put the stock one one there after i after the exact same setting on the h60i at 3.7 stock cooler was 15c lower than the h60i i thought i heard something when i reinstalled my h60i i just its broke all well going to get a nice aftermarket aircooler any suggestion besides the hyper 212
  26. Best answer
    DonQuixoteMC said:
    Gotcha. Still, very cool.

Literally! :P

zachparr2442 said:
    So turns out to be my cpu cooler i put the stock one one there after i after the exact same setting on the h60i at 3.7 stock cooler was 15c lower than the h60i i thought i heard something when i reinstalled my h60i i just its broke all well going to get a nice aftermarket aircooler any suggestion besides the hyper 212

Oh I didn't even think about the pump of the cooler... Well for the price you can't get anything better than the hyper 212 but if you don't mind spending a little more money and value silent performance, get a Noctua cooler. It's really up to personal preference. (Or if you enjoyed the Corsair H-series, get something from them instead.)
  27. I agree with Eduello. The CM Hyper 212 Evo is amazing for the price, but if you want some serious, quiet cooling then the NH-D14 is a definite winner for a bit more.
  28. Yah i didnt notice till i remeber i heard something crack and also the bottom hose was hot as hell the pump was probly working just not 100% and the stock cooler was working better than the H60, But i order a NH-14D going to shoot for at least 4.5. Now i just have to deal with amazon cause they already sent me another fx8320 so idk if should keep the one i have and send that one back or the other way around. i havent really got a chance to overclock this one.
  29. Haha can you test both to see which you can overclock highest? :P
  30. ok so now they are telling if i open the new i have to use it so im going to overclock the one i have as high as it can get on a stock cooler if it hits 4.0 on stockcooler il keep it. i have a NH-14d coming in so. or what would the highest ok oc be on the stock cooler. your thoughts?
  31. zachparr2442 said:
    ok so now they are telling if i open the new i have to use it so im going to overclock the one i have as high as it can get on a stock cooler if it hits 4.0 on stockcooler il keep it. i have a NH-14d coming in so. or what would the highest ok oc be on the stock cooler. your thoughts?

Ah, well I've heard of people reaching 5 GHz with that cooler, but I can't say if that's guaranteed or not! A lot of factors are involved.
  32. true i know i can should easily get 4.5-4.8 so that will be good
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs