Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ / FX 6300 (OC Fail Black Screen No Boot)

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
March 19, 2014 9:21:15 AM

even that i already read so many posts of the MSI 970ag46 that is bad for OC.
well i did OC my FX 6300 to 4.3ghz last night , and after a reboot the screen went black my heart stoped and the pc was not booting to win. so i removed the cmos battery and all good now. my questions is im at stock speeds now , there is an option in the BIOS called OC Genie , that will automaticly set a OC for me. can i trust that tool ? shoud i overclock at all on that board ? if i can whats the maximum ?? thanks
a b K Overclocking
March 19, 2014 9:30:33 AM

The maximum is determined by the chip, how lucky you are when you purchased the chip. There are good batches and bad ones.
OC Genie and all the motherboard manufacturer's pre-set overclock will be stable for most of the time. They pretty much just raise the voltage up to 1.45 or even 1.5 depending on which one you pick, so it is pretty much guaranteed that the overclock will work because they raise the voltage by so much, so it will be stable for almost all CPU.
m
0
l
a c 164 K Overclocking
March 19, 2014 9:33:04 AM

It will do fine with the FX6300 overclocked but not much past 4GHz. I have one running Fx8350 at std clocks and has run fine for a year. OC Genie is OK if you do not want to mess with the settings yourself.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 19, 2014 9:41:24 AM

IDontUnderstand said:
The maximum is determined by the chip, how lucky you are when you purchased the chip. There are good batches and bad ones.
OC Genie and all the motherboard manufacturer's pre-set overclock will be stable for most of the time. They pretty much just raise the voltage up to 1.45 or even 1.5 depending on which one you pick, so it is pretty much guaranteed that the overclock will work because they raise the voltage by so much, so it will be stable for almost all CPU.


thanks i was running it on 1.37-1.39 v
m
0
l
March 19, 2014 9:42:12 AM

rolli59 said:
It will do fine with the FX6300 overclocked but not much past 4GHz. I have one running Fx8350 at std clocks and has run fine for a year. OC Genie is OK if you do not want to mess with the settings yourself.


thats good to know , well since im so scared that it wont burn my system its brand new il try with oc genie. i will do it right now.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
March 19, 2014 9:56:07 AM

You won't burn the system unless it's overheating.
The black screen happened because of unstable overclocking and again, not a good board to overclock with.

Good luck with the OC Genie, it should do just fine.
Share
March 19, 2014 9:59:21 AM

IDontUnderstand said:
You won't burn the system unless it's overheating.
The black screen happened because of unstable overclocking and again, not a good board to overclock with.

Good luck with the OC Genie, it should do just fine.


well when i was running it at 4.3ghz the temps never got above 57C so i assume its maybe low voltage ? it was on 1.37-1.39v , btw just tested the oc genie in skyrim and seems to do ok but i get terrible quick freezes .. when it was OCed to 4.3ghz never haved those lags. since my temps wont go above 60% with prime , maybe i shoud give it another try at 4.0ghz ? what voltage do u recommend ? P.S. if i set it on 1.41 in the bios it goes from 1.37 to 1.39
UPDATE - PC FREEZED WITH OC GENIE :) )) ok i will not play anymore with the oc il leave it Stock , and next month il get asrock extreme board so i can finaly enjoy 4.1+- speed. thanks all
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
March 19, 2014 11:19:25 AM

Sounds like you're, but make sure you're using aftermarket cooler for overclocking.
m
0
l
!