FX-9590 SUPER HOT - or underpowered? Maybe need new PSU

suresh419

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Hello guys, I'm a computer technician and I run my own shop here in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I build customized gaming system and little by little I'm begging to make really carve out a good niche here.

Even though I have many years of building PCs there are sometimes thing I'm either just not seeing or plainly don't make sense. See, I sold a custom gaming system to a client of mine and about the 1st month he started getting what we think are overheating problems.

Here are the specs, please refer to my squarespace site to view pictures and specs on the machine (I assure there's not malware nor money scheme), its just a very detailed specs on the machine which I do not want to re-type, go to: www.gobanditech.com/signature-pcs/darth-russian

We used prime 95 and it said it was ok. Afterwards we algo used.... (forgot its name) another stressing software and whenever the CPU gets abot 65 or more we are in danger zone and and moment it will shutdown (without freezing). The GPU runs hot, though all r9 are meant to run hot and this isn't the problem.

So here are the mayor problems:

1. After 65 degrees of the CPU, we are in the danger zone and any minute it will shutdown. Curiously you can just turn it back on right away as if nothing happen, but if you stress it again... well, it happens again.

2. The air from the stock FX-9590 water cooling comes out super hot (duh)... but I think it didn't when I gave it to him

Theories:

1. Bad CPU, but I do not know how to properly diagnose such a thing and send such documents to AMD to get a replacement.Please help if you do.

2. Need better cooling... kinda unlikely since this PCs has a lot more fans, but hey its the only FX-9590 I've put on a system and those 5Ghz turbo might be the culprit

3. Need a bigger PSU, right now it has an Ultra (tigerdirect brand) 750watt PSU. This does make sense because my client games on triple displays and I'm just assuming that the PSU does supply some power through those cables to the monitors. Another thing that supports this theory is the fact that I can just turn on the PC right after it shut down instead o having to wait for the CPU to cool down. How can I measure PSU wattage consumption when benchmarking or stressing?

Anyway guys, please give me your recommendations. I did sell this person a warranty for 3 years so.. whatever the fix its coming out of the company's pocket hehehe (my pocket lol). I am very much inclining to order a bigger PSU.

PS: Can anyone tell me how to properly setup the eufi bios settings for my particular parts combination, meaning the ROG board, the fx-9590 and the r9 280x?, I just wanna see if I did it right cuz there maybe something I overlooked while setting it up. THANKS!

Solution
Your CPU temps are definitely the culprit. You are hitting the cpu shut off temperature.
You can try remounting the radiator as an input. drawing fresh cooler air from outside the case which will immediately exit out the top 2 fans. As it is installed now you are using pre heated air from inside the case for cooling. You video card dumps 75% or more of its heat inside the case, even though it has a rear vent.
Next option would be a dual 240 radiator mounted in the top and use the rear fan as an intake to supply cool fresh air.
Your CPU temps are definitely the culprit. You are hitting the cpu shut off temperature.
You can try remounting the radiator as an input. drawing fresh cooler air from outside the case which will immediately exit out the top 2 fans. As it is installed now you are using pre heated air from inside the case for cooling. You video card dumps 75% or more of its heat inside the case, even though it has a rear vent.
Next option would be a dual 240 radiator mounted in the top and use the rear fan as an intake to supply cool fresh air.

Solution

suresh419

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I think you're right Unolocogringo. I will try that, though something tells me it might still overheat.

I would like to get the opinion of someone who has dealt with the FX-9590 with the stock amd watercooling unit too.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that I was using the Antec PSU calculator and it said that I needed 714 Watts to AT LEAST power my system. So, I'm assuming that when gaming and stressing the system it WILL NEED MORE POWER and since not getting it, it shuts off, correct?

klepp0906

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2013
Umm no the 9590 won't shut down until about 100c. It will throttle beyond 80c however. 65c is absolutely fine. To be honest I wish mine ran that cool. Unfortunately if your overclocking (assuming your not being that it's a customers PC) nothing but custom water will give you temps below that.

I use a h100i (it's my backup PC) and with a mild overclock (5ghz - 1.54v) it hits 80c in IBT.

Unless it's an el cheapo psu Or your powering a TON of other things off of it, I wouldn't expect that to be your culprit either. While a 9590 uses a lot of juice relative to it's contemporaries, it's not enough to tax a 750w psu via prime :p

Admittedly I skimmed so if you were having problems during regular use and/or gaming that's different.

Also 65 at stock is a bit warm and assuming that was at the start of prime, you can expect a 20c-30c difference once it gyre cookin which would certainly cause trouble.

Even so - if your using air, that's your issue. If your using an AIO, reseat and make sure the pump is working properly.

Other things to consider are bios version (some boards don't support it at all and others don't until a new bios is flashed)

Other than that you can check UEFI settings which I'd assume you already did thoroughly considering your background.

TLDR - 65c isn't dangerous & it's certainly not a bad CPU