Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Seagate drive needs to be reformatted, but I don't want to lose my stuff? Help please!!

Last response: in Storage
Share
March 19, 2014 11:18:42 AM

Hello all! Hoping to receive some assistance today.. The past few times I've used my seagate backup plus portable drive it's worked perfectly fine, today however I can't access it because it says that it needs to be reformatted. (my laptop has vista btw) Being a hobby photographer & I draw do a lot of paintings through photoshop, all my pictures & digital paintings are saved on this drive to save space on my computer. I also have my entire music collection which is quite extensive, I really don't want to lose anything that I have on it. I tried plugging it into my other computer which uses xp, still says it needs to be reformatted. I downloaded testdisk, but I have no idea how to use it. Am I supposed to reformat my drive & pray that testdisk recovers my data? I don't have anything I can back the existing data onto, & I'm just really not sure what to do so any advice would be fantastic
a b G Storage
March 19, 2014 11:27:17 AM

Hello... DO NOT re-format!!!! you will lose all DATA!!!! You should have someone open it... and remove the hardrive, and try plugging it directly into another computer motherboard... and see if you can retrive and backup all your data first.

If the Drive is reported as a "RAW" format then the backup FAT table will need to be loaded, for it to be returned to working order without a format and loss of Data.

But this may take a person with experience, that has done it before.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
March 19, 2014 11:27:33 AM

lexie016 said:
Hello all! Hoping to receive some assistance today.. The past few times I've used my seagate backup plus portable drive it's worked perfectly fine, today however I can't access it because it says that it needs to be reformatted. (my laptop has vista btw) Being a hobby photographer & I draw do a lot of paintings through photoshop, all my pictures & digital paintings are saved on this drive to save space on my computer. I also have my entire music collection which is quite extensive, I really don't want to lose anything that I have on it. I tried plugging it into my other computer which uses xp, still says it needs to be reformatted. I downloaded testdisk, but I have no idea how to use it. Am I supposed to reformat my drive & pray that testdisk recovers my data? I don't have anything I can back the existing data onto, & I'm just really not sure what to do so any advice would be fantastic


See if this helps:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=w...

Either way this goes, I do hope that you'll consider choosing an effective backup solution. There is a very real chance that your data is gone forever. It's not guaranteed, but it is highly possible. A cheap external drive is a very easy way to backup your system or important files. Something as simple and inexpensive ($66.00) is all you need:

http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Ultra-Portable-External-...

Let me know if what I sent helps. If not, I will try to help you with another method.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
March 19, 2014 11:33:30 AM

I would get an external docking for the HDD, remove it from it's enclosure, insert it in the dock, then connect the dock to another PC (preferably one that does not run Windows; Ubuntu or even MacOS should be fine). Try to access and retrieve the files from the HDD.
If all that fails and no other software solution works for you either, send it to a professional data recovery firm. They might cost a pretty penny, but to save important files...
m
0
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
March 19, 2014 11:38:15 AM

Hello... I have experience using TESTDISK to restore the backup FAT on a couple drives... it is free but will take someone with patience and DOS command knowledge to be successful.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step
Look at "NTFS Boot sector recovery" instructions, to see if your Backup boot sector is good and if you can load it into the main Boot sector of the drive.
But your drive may be "FAT32" formated with Vista or XP and those instruction may or may not be the same... but every drive will have a backup Boot table on it.
if the backup is not completely successful... the other utilities will allow you to extract the directories/data/files too.
Share
March 19, 2014 12:03:57 PM

Ironsounds said:
Hello... DO NOT re-format!!!! you will lose all DATA!!!! You should have someone open it... and remove the hardrive, and try plugging it directly into another computer motherboard... and see if you can retrive and backup all your data first.

If the Drive is reported as a "RAW" format then the backup FAT table will need to be loaded, for it to be returned to working order without a format and loss of Data.

But this may take a person with experience, that has done it before.


I really have no idea how to do that :-/ I'm not completely retarded when it comes to computers, but I only know the basic stuff :p  I won't reformat then without backing up first. Is it possible for me to back up my stuff onto an SD card??

m
0
l
a b G Storage
March 19, 2014 12:14:40 PM

lexie016 said:
Ironsounds said:
Hello... DO NOT re-format!!!! you will lose all DATA!!!! You should have someone open it... and remove the hardrive, and try plugging it directly into another computer motherboard... and see if you can retrive and backup all your data first.

If the Drive is reported as a "RAW" format then the backup FAT table will need to be loaded, for it to be returned to working order without a format and loss of Data.

But this may take a person with experience, that has done it before.


I really have no idea how to do that :-/ I'm not completely retarded when it comes to computers, but I only know the basic stuff :p  I won't reformat then without backing up first. Is it possible for me to back up my stuff onto an SD card??



I'm not sure if you can back it up if you cannot access it. Does the drive show up at all in the BIOS? If it shows up, then there is a chance that you can back it up. The only thing to do is try and see, I suppose. As a last ditch effort, you can always send it to a "Data Recovery Specialist". It won't be cheap, but if it keeps you from losing very important files it's worth it.
m
0
l
March 19, 2014 12:15:56 PM

dustinhunt78 said:
lexie016 said:
Hello all! Hoping to receive some assistance today.. The past few times I've used my seagate backup plus portable drive it's worked perfectly fine, today however I can't access it because it says that it needs to be reformatted. (my laptop has vista btw) Being a hobby photographer & I draw do a lot of paintings through photoshop, all my pictures & digital paintings are saved on this drive to save space on my computer. I also have my entire music collection which is quite extensive, I really don't want to lose anything that I have on it. I tried plugging it into my other computer which uses xp, still says it needs to be reformatted. I downloaded testdisk, but I have no idea how to use it. Am I supposed to reformat my drive & pray that testdisk recovers my data? I don't have anything I can back the existing data onto, & I'm just really not sure what to do so any advice would be fantastic


See if this helps:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=w...

Either way this goes, I do hope that you'll consider choosing an effective backup solution. There is a very real chance that your data is gone forever. It's not guaranteed, but it is highly possible. A cheap external drive is a very easy way to backup your system or important files. Something as simple and inexpensive ($66.00) is all you need:

http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Ultra-Portable-External-...

Let me know if what I sent helps. If not, I will try to help you with another method.


I really don't want to lose everything, so I will try & see if I can back it up first then. Would it be possible for me to back it up onto an SD card?



m
0
l
a b G Storage
March 19, 2014 12:17:11 PM

Hello... you will not be able to back up untill your drive/boot sector is good, to read/copy the data...
1) Sometimes the enclosure/cable is the problem... remove drive from enclosure and plug directly into a MB/computer.

TESTDISK:
This kind of repair/knowledge requires DOS command/structure knowledge... as you can see from the screens.
But once you press the right keys/options, it was quite easy...

I always have more than 1 backup of all my personal work and files for this very same reason... CD/DVD/CD-RW/DVD-RW's and other Hardrives... and recommend the same for you after this experience.

But do not let anyone FORMAT it!!! if you require someone's help, you could send it to me for analysis and possible options for you...
PM me for shipping and or SKype realtime instructions.
m
0
l
March 19, 2014 12:35:12 PM

dustinhunt78 said:
lexie016 said:
Ironsounds said:
Hello... DO NOT re-format!!!! you will lose all DATA!!!! You should have someone open it... and remove the hardrive, and try plugging it directly into another computer motherboard... and see if you can retrive and backup all your data first.

If the Drive is reported as a "RAW" format then the backup FAT table will need to be loaded, for it to be returned to working order without a format and loss of Data.

But this may take a person with experience, that has done it before.


I really have no idea how to do that :-/ I'm not completely retarded when it comes to computers, but I only know the basic stuff :p  I won't reformat then without backing up first. Is it possible for me to back up my stuff onto an SD card??



I'm not sure if you can back it up if you cannot access it. Does the drive show up at all in the BIOS? If it shows up, then there is a chance that you can back it up. The only thing to do is try and see, I suppose. As a last ditch effort, you can always send it to a "Data Recovery Specialist". It won't be cheap, but if it keeps you from losing very important files it's worth it.


Ironsounds said:
Hello... you will not be able to back up untill your drive/boot sector is good, to read/copy the data...
1) Sometimes the enclosure/cable is the problem... remove drive from enclosure and plug directly into a MB/computer.

TESTDISK:
This kind of repair/knowledge requires DOS command/structure knowledge... as you can see from the screens.
But once you press the right keys/options, it was quite easy...

I always have more than 1 backup of all my personal work and files for this very same reason... CD/DVD/CD-RW/DVD-RW's and other Hardrives... and recomend the same for you after this experience.


Yeah, I wish I had been keeping extra copies, this is such a pain hah. I'm not confident enough in my noob computer skills lol, I don't really understand what I'm doing. If someone could like physically show me what it is I have to do (better yet, do it for me ;)  ) then I'd be willing to attempt it, but I don't want to wreck it further by taking off the casing, possibly breaking it in the process so I may just send it off to a professional, electronic stuff is not my area of expertise. Thank you for trying to help though, I appreciate it :) 
m
0
l
March 19, 2014 12:35:32 PM

dustinhunt78 said:
lexie016 said:
Ironsounds said:
Hello... DO NOT re-format!!!! you will lose all DATA!!!! You should have someone open it... and remove the hardrive, and try plugging it directly into another computer motherboard... and see if you can retrive and backup all your data first.

If the Drive is reported as a "RAW" format then the backup FAT table will need to be loaded, for it to be returned to working order without a format and loss of Data.

But this may take a person with experience, that has done it before.


I really have no idea how to do that :-/ I'm not completely retarded when it comes to computers, but I only know the basic stuff :p  I won't reformat then without backing up first. Is it possible for me to back up my stuff onto an SD card??



I'm not sure if you can back it up if you cannot access it. Does the drive show up at all in the BIOS? If it shows up, then there is a chance that you can back it up. The only thing to do is try and see, I suppose. As a last ditch effort, you can always send it to a "Data Recovery Specialist". It won't be cheap, but if it keeps you from losing very important files it's worth it.


Ironsounds said:
Hello... you will not be able to back up untill your drive/boot sector is good, to read/copy the data...
1) Sometimes the enclosure/cable is the problem... remove drive from enclosure and plug directly into a MB/computer.

TESTDISK:
This kind of repair/knowledge requires DOS command/structure knowledge... as you can see from the screens.
But once you press the right keys/options, it was quite easy...

I always have more than 1 backup of all my personal work and files for this very same reason... CD/DVD/CD-RW/DVD-RW's and other Hardrives... and recomend the same for you after this experience.


Yeah, I wish I had been keeping extra copies, this is such a pain hah. I'm not confident enough in my noob computer skills lol, I don't really understand what I'm doing. If someone could like physically show me what it is I have to do (better yet, do it for me ;)  ) then I'd be willing to attempt it, but I don't want to wreck it further by taking off the casing, possibly breaking it in the process so I may just send it off to a professional, electronic stuff is not my area of expertise. Thank you for trying to help though, I appreciate it :) 
m
0
l
a b G Storage
March 19, 2014 12:39:05 PM

Hello... But do not let anyone FORMAT it!!! The data is still there and Good, but the OS doesn't know how to read it.
If you require someone's help, you could send it to me for analysis and possible options for you...

PM me for shipping and or SKype realtime instructions...
m
0
l
March 19, 2014 1:17:24 PM

Ironsounds said:
Hello... But do not let anyone FORMAT it!!! The data is still there and Good, but the OS doesn't know how to read it.
If you require someone's help, you could send it to me for analysis and possible options for you...

PM me for shipping and or SKype realtime instructions...


Ok thank you so much!! You're very kind :)  A buddy of mine says to let him take a look at it first, so if he can't fix it, I'll be in touch

m
0
l
March 20, 2014 7:06:57 AM

Ironsounds said:
Hello... But do not let anyone FORMAT it!!! The data is still there and Good, but the OS doesn't know how to read it.
If you require someone's help, you could send it to me for analysis and possible options for you...

PM me for shipping and or SKype realtime instructions...


Oops.. I jumped the gun in saying it was solved :p  After running testdisk, I thought I did everything correctly & then rebooted my computer. Windows can read it now & I can open it & access all the folders & sub folders, but I can't open any of the actual files. What do I do now??

m
0
l
March 20, 2014 7:56:12 PM

Ok so I figured it out. I feel very dumb :p  after testdisk located my partition, I listed all the files & copied them onto my laptop. So relieved right now, that program saved a lot of time & annoyance. Thank you to everyone who answered my questions btw :) 
m
0
l
!