Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

What is a good gpu to duel graphics with a APU for gaming

Tags:
  • GPUs
  • APU
  • CPUs
  • Graphics
Last response: in CPUs
March 20, 2014 1:38:27 PM

Im looking for a decent gaming GPU you to go with my new apu (http://gyazo.com/446456ad3848c032af1045484f0cf2e6) specs are shown in the link, i cant have a new gpu with a power connector needed as i dont have a psu that has one, and it also needs to be a decent price and worth the money. can any one help? i would like to use the onboard GPU one on the apu but as i need duel screens and one of my screens needs a hdmi but i dont have a socket on my motherboard i cant do that

More about : good gpu duel graphics apu gaming

a b à CPUs
March 20, 2014 1:40:27 PM

We need more system specs. What APU do you currently have? What is your PSU?

In general Dual Graphics isn't really worth it, so if you haven't already gotten your computer I would go for an Athlon 750K and a Radeon R7 260X.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2014 1:42:04 PM

I'd go for an nVidia GTX 7**
m
0
l
Related resources
March 20, 2014 1:43:23 PM

Mephikun said:
We need more system specs. What APU do you currently have? What is your PSU?

In general Dual Graphics isn't really worth it, so if you haven't already gotten your computer I would go for an Athlon 750K and a Radeon R7 260X.

i have updated it info so you can now see ;P
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 20, 2014 1:45:55 PM

If you insist on Dual Graphics, then a Radeon HD 6670 is the best card to get. Make sure you get the GDDR5 version as well.

However if you went for a discrete graphics card and did not use the iGPU of the A8-6600K, then I would recommend the Radeon R7 260X.
Share
March 20, 2014 1:53:37 PM

Mephikun said:
If you insist on Dual Graphics, then a Radeon HD 6670 is the best card to get. Make sure you get the GDDR5 version as well.

However if you went for a discrete graphics card and did not use the iGPU of the A8-6600K, then I would recommend the Radeon R7 260X.

is there a possible way i could use both the IGPU and a normal discrete GPU together?

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2014 1:56:33 PM

No, only supported ones. The 6670 is the highest supported card on the market. I recommend getting the R7 260X and not using the iGPU. Dual Graphics is basically crossfire and most things are not optimized for Crossfire. I tried Dual Graphics on an A6-5400K and saw an extremely insignificant FPS boost (3-7) in the games I tried.
m
0
l
March 20, 2014 2:04:26 PM

Mephikun said:
No, only supported ones. The 6670 is the highest supported card on the market. I recommend getting the R7 260X and not using the iGPU. Dual Graphics is basically crossfire and most things are not optimized for Crossfire. I tried Dual Graphics on an A6-5400K and saw an extremely insignificant FPS boost (3-7) in the games I tried.


well you recommended the Radeon R7 260X but does it need a 6pin power connector to it? because i dont have one of those on my psu
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2014 2:10:33 PM

What PSU do you have? Also most cheaper cards come with a molex to 6 pin adapter, if not they are quite cheap. But yes it will require the 6 pin.
m
0
l
March 20, 2014 2:14:49 PM

Mephikun said:
What PSU do you have? Also most cheaper cards come with a molex to 6 pin adapter, if not they are quite cheap. But yes it will require the 6 pin.

i have a g7 power extreme 680w

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2014 2:18:28 PM

That is a VERY low quality power supply. Replace it immediately. Any "680w" power supply should have a 6 pin connector at LEAST. Not to mention hec is not a very good brand. I will link a PSU below that is very good quality and is relatively affordable along with a good graphics card.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $199.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-20 17:18 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
March 20, 2014 2:24:44 PM

Mephikun said:
That is a VERY low quality power supply. Replace it immediately. Any "680w" power supply should have a 6 pin connector at LEAST. Not to mention hec is not a very good brand. I will link a PSU below that is very good quality and is relatively affordable along with a good graphics card.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $199.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-20 17:18 EDT-0400)

would a 750 ti be better for gaming?
and this was the power supply i was looking at (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-750W-Silent-Gaming-PC-P...) is that any good?
also would a molex to 6 pin worth getting?

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2014 2:27:47 PM

That power supply is very low quality. Get the 550W I posted above, it will provide enough power for your entire build easily.

Whether the 750 Ti would be better or not depends on the game. Here are some benchmarks: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1044?vs=1130

Up to you to decide. Keep in mind that the 750 Ti is more expensive and you are already purchasing a new PSU.
m
0
l
March 20, 2014 2:30:48 PM

Mephikun said:
That power supply is very low quality. Get the 550W I posted above, it will provide enough power for your entire build easily.

Whether the 750 Ti would be better or not depends on the game. Here are some benchmarks: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1044?vs=1130

Up to you to decide. Keep in mind that the 750 Ti is more expensive and you are already purchasing a new PSU.

i would like to keep costs low on the psu end, have you got any idea's? and is the molex to 6 pin connector worth it?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2014 2:33:43 PM

That XFX I linked is probably the best and most trustworthy PSU you can get for what it costs. If you get the XFX then the molex to 6 pin adapter is not needed.

Cheap PSUs do not run at their rated power, and will generally use very low quality parts such as capacitors. In other words any PSU that isn't by a reputable brand is pretty much complete junk. When they fail (which chances are they will with a gaming PC) they can take other valuable parts with them.
m
0
l
March 20, 2014 2:38:29 PM

Mephikun said:
That XFX I linked is probably the best and most trustworthy PSU you can get for what it costs. If you get the XFX then the molex to 6 pin adapter is not needed.

Cheap PSUs do not run at their rated power, and will generally use very low quality parts such as capacitors. In other words any PSU that isn't by a reputable brand is pretty much complete junk. When they fail (which chances are they will with a gaming PC) they can take other valuable parts with them.

not sure i can justify the psu, it has alot of connectors i wouldn't use so i dunno, but then on the other hand you say it is decent so
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2014 2:44:41 PM

Those connectors can be tied up and hidden in an unused portion of the case or just off to the side. It's a very good PSU.
m
0
l
March 20, 2014 2:46:51 PM

Mephikun said:
Those connectors can be tied up and hidden in an unused portion of the case or just off to the side. It's a very good PSU.

whats the best price i could get on it do you think? bare in mind i use £ but i can covert so ;P

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2014 2:57:47 PM

No problem. Enjoy your new PC :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2014 9:53:15 PM

260x is definitely better than the 750Ti.
m
0
l