8350 FX, 7970 and Asrock 990FX Extreme3 issues and fixes

tenkday

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
First, a few BIOS settings need to be changed. The most important one being AMD Turbo Core Technology. Disabling this partially fixed fps drops in games such as BF4. There are more power management settings in the BIOS but I found this to be the most effective one. It also completely fixed the horrible stuttering problems I was having in State of Decay.

The second issue is the motherboard. I'm running using an Asrock 990fx Extreme 3, which only has a 4+1 power phase. Basically the circuitry is too weak to handle the CPU while running BF4. The CPU socket temperature hits 68-70 celsius and the motherboard automatically throttles voltage going to the CPU to cool the temperature. The motherboard cuts voltage to around .82-.84 after BF4 heats it up, and then restores it to around 1.24-.128 once the socket temp cools down. It will keep doing this over and over again creating fps drops and spikes. Very frustrating.

To fix this without getting a new motherboard, I had to go back into the BIOS and slightly undervolt the CPU to 1.15-1.20, and shut down 2 of the cores on the 8350. Now BF4 runs surprisingly well considering the circumstances, between 50-120 fps. I've read that using only 4 cores would be even better for gaming, but haven't tested this yet.

If anyone else has suggestions on how to improve this setup, please share

Solution
Using a closed loop cooler mounted on the top of the case using push configuration. Then a fan at the back of the case pulling air in to the VRM. This is the best solution i found without undervolting. 4.3 - 4.4 ghz max overclock on all cores, only achievable at room temperatures of 8° celcius. But still not stable..

For gaming, i found better results in just merely tweaking the settings and/or using beta drivers.

Asrock 990fx extreme3 will only produce underwhelming results for fx8350.

maurelie

Honorable
The only way to improve this system is to change the motherboard, the Asrock 990FX Extreme 3 is simply not made and it doesn't support the 8350/8350 processors, it will only give you headaches and problems. I am still surprised how it even runs 8350 on that motherboard.

tenkday

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

Agreed.. When I purchased the board Asrock had the 990fx extreme3 listed as compatible with the 8350 on their website. I guess they changed their mind when people started having throttling problems. Surprisingly almost every game I played ran perfectly except for BF4 and State of Decay.

I'm planning on replacing the motherboard with a Asus Sabertooth in a few months, but if anyone else has suggestions that can improve this system in the meantime please let me know.. thanks

plaintuts

Admirable
Using a closed loop cooler mounted on the top of the case using push configuration. Then a fan at the back of the case pulling air in to the VRM. This is the best solution i found without undervolting. 4.3 - 4.4 ghz max overclock on all cores, only achievable at room temperatures of 8° celcius. But still not stable..

For gaming, i found better results in just merely tweaking the settings and/or using beta drivers.

Asrock 990fx extreme3 will only produce underwhelming results for fx8350.

Solution

shedicus

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
i have the 990fx asrock to and from what i can see the best soloution is just get a good 6 core it dont make much difference to games who care about anything over 35+ fps the human eye can barely see over 25+ plus frames the best thing to do is go six core have good cooling or if your that fussed get a sabertooth i plan to at some point this bored is just a stop gap until i have more money

Rudingut

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

I have this board and this cpu. Heat, holy crap sunk a lot into cooling just to get it stable at stock. To afraid to oc now. I would like to get a new mobo for it (really the only solution) but.... why not just upgrade to lga 1150 and save the money sink amd is turning out to be. Its been a long time since the Thunderbird and my brand loyalty is starting to fade. Upgrading your cpu every 3 years at most sucks. My friend has been running a core 2 duo e6600 since it came out in 2008 and its showing no signs of falling behind where all amd cpu's on the market are. For gaming that is.