Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

average AMD CPU lifetime

Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 21, 2014 4:13:43 AM

I've had a intel processor for 4 year now, I need a new one and I'm considering AMD. If an AMD processor can last for 4 years I'll most likely buy that. Just looking at the specs and the pricing of AMD just makes me want to buy one.


Thanks :) 
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 21, 2014 4:21:08 AM

some processors will last 10-7 years. if your considering amd why not? also what model are you getting?.
m
0
l
March 21, 2014 4:32:59 AM

I have built AMD systems for peple that are still running 6, 7 and 8 years later. I have never had a CPU (AMD or Intel) up and die on me. Though I have killed few by my own stupid actions :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2014 4:38:16 AM

What do you want the processor for?
m
0
l
March 21, 2014 4:51:27 AM

Anything and everything, I don't need a 8 core CPU in reality. 4 cores are more than enough without hyper threading. A 4670k would be perfect for me if I wanted intel. So the equivalent AMD CPU of a 4670k is basically what I need.

If you still want a concrete answer:

- some gaming
- VM servers hosting (yes I will be buying lots of RAM)
- just computer projects like setting up servers, home automation, stuff like that :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 21, 2014 4:57:48 AM

yea also overall the 4670k is better than 8350 by a slight edge. if you're doing video editing/streaming go with the 8350/8320 if you're gaming the 4670k will do. btw the 8350 is a clocked version of the 8320 so you dont need to spend 30$ extra on a clocked processor.
m
0
l
March 21, 2014 5:02:59 AM

I need a processor that can handle multiple VMs and 3 hours of gaming a week, at most. It also has to be able to stay under load for several hours. Not really heavy load, just load.
m
0
l
a c 93 à CPUs
March 21, 2014 5:06:05 AM

sudo apt-get answer said:
I need a processor that can handle multiple VMs and 3 hours of gaming a week, at most. It also has to be able to stay under load for several hours. Not really heavy load, just load.


The xeon E3-1230 v3, should be efficient.
If you are looking for more power, you will be looking at Intel extreme processors.

EDIT: Why aren't you running as root? Damn sudo
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 21, 2014 5:09:01 AM

in that case 8320 is for those. with its 8core and more threads you will able to run alot of applications at not a very high cpu usage it will go great.
Share
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2014 5:35:19 AM

With proper care and cooling, a CPU should run forever.

I still have an AMD K6-2 that I bought when it was first released in 1999 that is still up and running 13 years later!
m
0
l
a c 93 à CPUs
March 21, 2014 5:36:30 AM

chunkymonster said:
With proper care and cooling, a CPU should run forever.

I still have an AMD K6-2 that I bought when it was first released in 1999 that is still up and running 13 years later!

Nothing will hold forever.
m
0
l
March 21, 2014 5:36:50 AM

Wouldn't that be 15 years? :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2014 5:39:16 AM

vmN said:
chunkymonster said:
With proper care and cooling, a CPU should run forever.

I still have an AMD K6-2 that I bought when it was first released in 1999 that is still up and running 13 years later!

Nothing will hold forever.


Split hairs much?

C'mon now, how can you not be impressed by and K6-2 that is still in service after 13 years!

sudo apt-get answer said:
Wouldn't that be 15 years? :) 
Probably...if I wasn't so bad at math...lol!
m
0
l
a c 93 à CPUs
March 21, 2014 5:41:49 AM

Lol, sorry for that negative attitude, didn't realize how negative it sounded.

It is truly amazing.
m
0
l
!