Solved

changing motherboard and cpu

hi, ive bought myself a new mobo and cpu. im upgrading from the asus p5kc and intel core 2 quad q6600 to the asus m5a78l-mle and amd fx 6300. and wondered when i do, will i have to install a fresh windows and how do i keep everything on my hdd as i dont fancy downloading everything again.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about changing motherboard cpu
  1. Sorry, you'll need to reinstall because of the change in motherboard.
  2. AshyCFC said:
    Sorry, you'll need to reinstall because of the change in motherboard.


    will i lose everything on my hdd or will it be just the windows
  3. Save all your personal data elsewhere.
    Gather all the drivers for the new hardware
    Gather all your application disks and install files.

    Clean install.
  4. evetsreklaw said:
    AshyCFC said:
    Sorry, you'll need to reinstall because of the change in motherboard.


    will i lose everything on my hdd or will it be just the windows


    Yes, with a clean install you will almost certainly lose everything. And in any major hardware/software change, you should have a copy of your personal stuff elsewhere, just in case.
  5. USAFRet said:
    Save all your personal data elsewhere.
    Gather all the drivers for the new hardware
    Gather all your application disks and install files.

    Clean install.


    bit of a noob what do you mean?
  6. Yeah USA has got it ^^ move your important files onto cloud storage or a USB/external HDD.
  7. im from england
  8. why does it matter if you're from england...I'm a tad confused.
  9. AshyCFC said:
    why does it matter if you're from england...I'm a tad confused.


    thought you meant the usa has got cloud storage to use and we hadnt
  10. oh no, there's tons of online cloud storage proviers if yoiu've got one use it.
  11. Best answer
    evetsreklaw said:
    USAFRet said:
    Save all your personal data elsewhere.
    Gather all the drivers for the new hardware
    Gather all your application disks and install files.

    Clean install.


    bit of a noob what do you mean?


    Buy an external drive 1 or 2 TB (you should do this anyway)
    Whatever personal data you have, save to that.
    Whatever installation applications you have, save to that.
    Whatever application install disks you have, find them.
    Whatever drivers you need for the new hardware, download and save them to the external.

    Clean install the OS.

    Once everything is up and running, with the new drivers, install all your applications, games, whatever
    Copy all your personal files back over.
    Use the external as a backup drive. On an automated schedule, save your personal files to that.

    Or, you could just install the new hardware, and probably run into multiple problems. Then come back here and ask how to fix it.
    Save your stuff first.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus CPUs Motherboards